praise Bill - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
praise Bill
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
praise Bill

BILL LASWELL

He doesn't seem to get much mention around here, which seems odd considering the man's output and influence. From Bootsie to Buckethead, Whitney to Burroughs, the guy gets around.
(unless you want to count the thread about his Neve console )

I've always been big into his Material and Praxis work, also the Hallucination Engine album, bass work on Remain In Light and My Life In The Bush of Ghosts; and the production jobs w/ Peter Gabriel, Herbie Hancock, Laurie Anderson, PiL etc

in appreciation I'll kick it off w/ a documentary in 3 parts - it gets going in part 2 w/ Bootsie's If 6 was 9 redux:

Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
b laswell's dreams of freedom -> my favorite reggae cd, period.

some of his other stuff can be hit or miss though.
Old 24th November 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for posting, always dug Laswell's workthumbsup

*edit* Hell ya! great cover at the end of the 2nd vid, gotta find that album.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
msl
Lives for gear

I really love his work too, Mantra from Hallucination Engine is such a classic. And his earlier Material albums from the 80's are great too.

One of my favs.

Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
bill laswell is great.

i have an ancient dnb album of his on cassette. can't find it anywhere on CD or for download. some of my favorite stuff from the 90's.

'Panthalassa: the music of miles davis' is one of my favorite releases of all time. sounds incredible.

Amazon.com: Panthalassa: The Music of Miles Davis 1969-1974: Miles Davis, Bill Laswell: Music

plus, a lot of the recording he's done all over the world has been so important from an archival perspective.. recording all these people in far off places who are masters at what they do but are unheard of outside their native land or region.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
coolio...

diff strokes i guess...the dub etc is excellent. the 80s duran-duran style rock never did it for me though I tried real hard I can't remember the album I'm thinking of, basically I loved everything after it and things before...well...
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…