The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nord electro 3 or Korg sv-1 - which?
Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Nord electro 3 or Korg sv-1 - which?

I have managed to scrape together enough cash to buy either an Electro 3 or a Korg SV-1....but which should it be?
I want a keyboard that doesn't take an age to select sounds on stage, has good accoustic and electric piano sounds plus a range of classic organ sounds.
The Nord also has editing software and the Mellotron library (having once owned a Mellotron, I know what that'll give me).
Any advice or alternatives for consideration welcome.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolosp ➑️
I have managed to scrape together enough cash to buy either an Electro 3 or a Korg SV-1....but which should it be?
I want a keyboard that doesn't take an age to select sounds on stage, has good accoustic and electric piano sounds plus a range of classic organ sounds.
The Nord also has editing software and the Mellotron library (having once owned a Mellotron, I know what that'll give me).
Any advice or alternatives for consideration welcome.
Take it from me ive extensively tested both. The NE3 is the one to get. Im 110% sure of that.

check out my videos of both here:

JD73 on Youtube
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey man, I'm curious... why?
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
Take it from me ive extensively tested both. The NE3 is the one to get. Im 110% sure of that.

JD73 on Youtube
Excellent stuff you've got there!
Having considered both, and dived a bit deeper into the coffers, I'm going to take a look at a Nord Stage EX Compact at the weekend.
I'm rather sold on the strings & synth options in addition to the piano & organ already on the electro.
Old 15th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

...just reviving an old thread because I have the same question. I own an Electro 2, and am considering getting a Korg Stage Vintage. I've played the SV, and it just feels great. I love the weighted keys. I also think it sounds really good, yet almost universally I hear that the Nords sound much better. At worst, I think the SV is about equal to my Electro 2. I think it may even sound a bit better. Am I missing something?

The key here is that I am pretty much interested in eletric piano and acoustic piano sounds only. I almost never use the organ sounds on my Electro 2. And I don't have much use for strings or mellowtron or the other features of the Electro 3.

So, are the people who say the Nords are much better mostly talking about organ sounds and greater flexibility? Is the SV-1 as good as I think it is for acoustic and electric pianos? Or am I missing something?
Old 20th June 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Anyone care to share their thoughts on Korg SV-1 vs. Nord Electro 2/3 as far as acoustic and electric piano sounds are concerned?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
IF you want acoustic piano and Rhodes, the SV-1 is probably a better choice than the NE3. I own a Suitcase Rhodes Mark1 since I bought it new in 1979. The SV-1 does a great job of sounding like my Rhodes, impressive. The acoustic piano on the SV-1 is also excellent. The weighted KB would be a big plus for playing expressively on those sounds, Acoustic piano has always been the problem for Clavia. I would have to give the SV-1 the node for those sounds and great front panel editing capability on the fly, As you know, you can only play the built in sounds and tweak the effects. I've been paying a lot of attention to both the NE3 and the SV-1. The SV-1 really fills the bill for a main B&B KB for most players.

To me, the NE3 would make a great 2nd KB for a lot of players. I have very satisifying acoustic and electric pianos in my main ax, and a lot of other sounds that I use in my workstation. If I were to buy a 2nd KB it would be the Nord. Why? Because I would love to have a clonewheel with a great Leslie SIMM and the ability to load WAV files for Mellitron, Chamberlain, or a number of sounds in the Nord Library. So how you are going to use the instrument is the most important issue. Both KB's are nice instruments and cost about the same.

Mike T.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miket156 ➑️
Acoustic piano has always been the problem for Clavia.
I don't quite agree. I really like the acoustics on the Nords. Especially the latest releases of the 5.0 library. I love the "grand lady" and "studio grand 2". I prefer it over my Kurzweil's PC3x piano sound, though I haven't yet tested them with my band.

That said, the SV-1 also has some great piano samples.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ive tested and used both the E3 and the SV1 extensively.

For me i would take the E3 everytime though the SV1 has a fantastic Rhodes. The only 'downside' to the E3 is its waterfall keyboard but in EVERY other respect the E3 wins out imo. This isnt to say the SV1 is bad, far from it but at its price point it offers too little in the way of onboard tweakability coupled with only a handful of great sounds whereas the E3 has alround great sounds plus a huge library of free sounds and constant support in the way of OS upgrades from Nord.

Now if Korg could offer the range of sounds that Nord do it would appeal a lot more. I hope they are a little more proactive with keeping the users updated with new sounds than they are doing currently.
Old 7th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Being in the market for a new keyboard i have now rented and giged with both the NE3 and the SV-1. In terms of sound the NE3 wins overall except the rhodes. I feel the Korg is ahead there. If you play alot of organs then NE3 all the way. If you play more EP maybe consider the Korg. One thing i noticed that i really like for live performance is that when the korg has the sustain pedal pressed or the keys pressed down and you switch the sound it holds chord of the previous sound the nord will not. I perform live hiphop so i am constantly changing sounds on stage. To others this may not make such a difference, but depending on your set and what you need on stage this can make a difference for some people. However for me, already having another wighted keyboard, I'm gonna get the nord. Also consider, 18lbs vs 39lbs. Not a huge difference, but if your setup consists of multiple keyboards the extra weight can be a pain. Better then my old Kurzweil though. 69lbs ouch.
Gear Maniac

By the way goldphinga yer nasty on the
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

JD73 on Youtube
cool you're on this forum. Digging your videos.. especially the nord electro 3 demo. thumbsup
Old 15th October 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Reviving this very old thread, but wanted to chime in.

I've owned the SV-1. I like it, but the Rhodes... it's too "key clicky" upon release. It sounds very fake when you play it for a while.

SV-1: you're stuck with its sounds. Always.

The Electro 3 HP is dope... doesn't give you a lot of piano library storage, but with 185MB... you can fit basically all of the Rhodes, Wurly, CP80, and have room for a piano or two (small or medium, depending on the piano). That, plus all the effects... the sample synth (Mellotron!!!), etc.

I love Korg stuff but I think the Nord wins out. Even the older Electro 3. Now, with the 4 and 5... tons of piano library storage, etc. It's the way. The SV-1 price is good, but I don't want to be stuck with the same sounds forever. The Nord Piano Library and Sample Library is soooo friggin' great. And FREE.
πŸ“ Reply