Quantcast
Ableton Live 8/Suite 8/Reason 4 questions. - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ableton Live 8/Suite 8/Reason 4 questions.
Old 5th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I bought an external hard drive for backing up. Should I be installing the NI sample library in the external since it's 60GB or is it ok on the internal?
Old 5th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have the Komplete sample libraries on my MBP's internal drive. This isn't for performance reasons, it's simply because I spend a lot of time working on my laptop in situations where I don't want to have a external drive dangling from the computer.

You should be fine either way.
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansmallroom ➑️
I have the Komplete sample libraries on my MBP's internal drive. This isn't for performance reasons, it's simply because I spend a lot of time working on my laptop in situations where I don't want to have a external drive dangling from the computer.

You should be fine either way.
Cool.

I have plenty of room on my internal hard drive and music is all this computer is really for so I'm not worried about space. I just wondered if it affected performance, good or bad, to have the sample libraries on an external.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I think in theory you're usually better off having the samples/audio files on a separate drive from the software, but unless you're running brazillians of tracks at a time, I don't think you'll see any benefit. I run tons of tracks, lots of samples, AU synths, plugins, etc, and have never had the hard drive have trouble keeping up.

If, down the road, you find yourself having difficulties with the HD keeping up, you can always move to an external drive.

Have fun with your setup. You've got a LOT of new stuff to play with. Don't let it overwhelm you. If I were you, I'd spend a bit of time at the beginning just getting used to Live, before trying to dig too deep into all of the other stuff you've got. I really can't even imagine having that many new things all at the same time.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Have fun with your setup. You've got a LOT of new stuff to play with. Don't let it overwhelm you. If I were you, I'd spend a bit of time at the beginning just getting used to Live, before trying to dig too deep into all of the other stuff you've got. I really can't even imagine having that many new things all at the same time.
Yeah, I definitely realize that "starting" with this much stuff is ridiculous/overkill. When I've got extra gear money, I need to use it or I'll end up pissing it away on records, so I have a tendency to overdo it sometimes. But just like you said, I'm planning on spending all my time in Live in the beginning. I figure the other stuff will come as I get deeper and deeper into Live.
Old 7th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi there. For an electro pop duo I'd go with Ableton Live. I'm one half of a popish electronic act, and essentially all the songwriting is done in Live. It's a wonderful tool, and I've never gotten on with other sequencers the same way. Everyone has their preference. For me its really useful to be able to write our songs in a non linear/jam manner, and as soon as I want to take everything to a live setting, half the work is done.

Here's some general notes on ableton live

-I feel the the sounds are a bit sterile, most of my productions dont use the inbuilt sound, I prefer FM8 - sounds amazing in a mix, everything has punch and clarity
-'Analogue' is actually pretty useful, couldn't say the same for operator.
-Sampler is really very useful for wierd and wonderful sounds, but I just use simpler or impulse for other stuff
Old 8th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
So I spent a good 6-8 hours installing software this weekend and now my MBP is in the shop. I had issues with the disc drive accepting/seeing discs all throughout the installs so I was at the Apple store today meeting with the Genius and now they're going to have it for a couple days. It's 5 weeks old.

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripatetic ➑️
So I spent a good 6-8 hours installing software this weekend and now my MBP is in the shop. I had issues with the disc drive accepting/seeing discs all throughout the installs so I was at the Apple store today meeting with the Genius and now they're going to have it for a couple days. It's 5 weeks old.

VERY common with Mac. EXCELLENT software, coupled with average (at best) hardware. Sorry about your disappointment. It's actually good (for you, that is) the you just got Live 8. In version 8.1 (10 chapters post the programs original release date 7 months prior), Crappleton have changed the basic file format type so that none of the users previous sets will open in 8.1. Nice eh?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by variableloudness ➑️
VERY common with Mac. EXCELLENT software, coupled with average (at best) hardware. Sorry about your disappointment. It's actually good (for you, that is) the you just got Live 8. In version 8.1 (10 chapters post the programs original release date 7 months prior), Crappleton have changed the basic file format type so that none of the users previous sets will open in 8.1. Nice eh?
Is 8.1 just an update or will that be the actual version sold on discs? I'm confused. Either way, I take your word for it that I lucked out!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is 8.1 just an update or will that be the actual version sold on discs? I'm confused. Either way, I take your word for it that I lucked out!
Since it just came out about a week ago, I'm thinking that any boxed disc you may get will be old school. If you download, which of course costs less (go figure) you get the newest version. It really doesn't matter though, Ableton expect you to update the version you have every two weeks or they blame you for incompetence if you report a bug as a user on an older version of their latest software program.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Since it just came out about a week ago, I'm thinking that any boxed disc you may get will be old school. If you download, which of course costs less (go figure) you get the newest version. It really doesn't matter though, Ableton expect you to update the version you have every two weeks or they blame you for incompetence if you report a bug as a user on an older version of their latest software program.
Oh, I got ya. That's kind of what I was thinking, that Ableton would have me updating all the time anyway. So for you all that have been using 8 since it came out, you're basically screwed as far as opening your existing sets now?? That sucks.

The Genius installed a new disc drive yesterday and the computer was having the same problem seeing the drive so he figures it's the connector cable or the board but it will be a couple days before he can get those in. I'm guessing if it's the board that will mean a fresh software install which will mean starting from scratch with Ableton and Komplete. I'm looking forward to what I'm guessing will be a very smooth reinstall/re-authorization less than a week after I initially installed and authorized them.*

*This will not be a smooth process.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh, I got ya. That's kind of what I was thinking, that Ableton would have me updating all the time anyway. So for you all that have been using 8 since it came out, you're basically screwed as far as opening your existing sets now?? That sucks.

The Genius installed a new disc drive yesterday and the computer was having the same problem seeing the drive so he figures it's the connector cable or the board but it will be a couple days before he can get those in. I'm guessing if it's the board that will mean a fresh software install which will mean starting from scratch with Ableton and Komplete. I'm looking forward to what I'm guessing will be a very smooth reinstall/re-authorization less than a week after I initially installed and authorized them.*

*This will not be a smooth process.
LOL! You have a GREAT attitude. Seriously. You have to be able to roll with it and retain your sense of humor like you are doing here.

You will LOVE Komplete. Wish I could say the same for unstAbleton. Most likely you'll love that too but those guys have exceeded the boundaries of greed IMO.

Yes, your understanding of Live 8 is correct. Those previous sets CANNOT be opened in 8.1.
Old 9th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Not that it matters to the OP, but I think you're incorrect about the backwards compatibility. I'm able to open all of my pre 8.1 sets in 8.1.

Also, for what it's worth, all of my (very few) Live crashes have been related to problems with 3rd party plugs.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not that it matters to the OP, but I think you're incorrect about the backwards compatibility. I'm able to open all of my pre 8.1 sets in 8.1.

Also, for what it's worth, all of my (very few) Live crashes have been related to problems with 3rd party plugs.

I apologize for being unclear. I mean that because it's definitely not my intent to misinform. It's the other way around. This is what is stated on the Ableton website.

Live 8.1 introduces a new file format - documents saved with Live 8.1 or newer will not be able to be opened in older versions of Live.

All in all it just points to the same old fact that Live 8 was released WAY before it should have been. All the subsequent unreliability that the program has exhibited thus far is made to be the customer's responsibility with respect to consumer testing a product that was not truly fit to be released to begin with.

In seems like anytime Ableton releases a new version of updates to Live 8, certain bugs disappear while new ones take the old one's place. What I recommend is to take a look at the top of their forum's "general" section. Every time a new chapter of a particular version is released, the worst yet by far being Live 8, there will be solid, as in older veteran users of Live that have been posting on their forum for some time, making claims that they now have this difficulty, or that difficulty, that they didn't prior.

I have used Live heavily since version 5 and I can assure you it's simply a progressively buggy program. Ableton got too big too quick. They should have concentrated on improving older models of the program instead of just doing their best to march forward in reverse because of trying to "keep up with the Joneses"
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Yeah, small distinction, but important.

For myself, I prefer a company that's aggressive with new features. With Ableton, you can always keep the prior version installed while you check out potential issues with your setup in the newest version. I usually give it a few weeks to see if there are bugs before stepping up to any upgrade with hosts/vsts/etc.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, small distinction, but important.

For myself, I prefer a company that's aggressive with new features. With Ableton, you can always keep the prior version installed while you check out potential issues with your setup in the newest version. I usually give it a few weeks to see if there are bugs before stepping up to any upgrade with hosts/vsts/etc.

Whereas I agree with you 100% in a home studio and experimental context, I find the exact opposite to be the case with respect to live performance. If you are going to use something dependably in a live context, it shouldn't be on the constant mend IMO. It should be thoroughly tested and ready when it's first released. Not a year or two later. JMO.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Agreed.
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Alright. Got my computer back on Wednesday so I could finally start playing.

I've realized already that I should have gotten some sort of controller with pads on it. Some knobs would be a plus too.

I could keep that M-Audio controller that I bought and get an MPD32 or I could probably get away with returning the M-Audio to GC (or get $80 for it on ebay) and get an MPK49 or 61.

Or another option would me an MPD18 with an APC40 (keeping the M-Audio).

Again with the waffling.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I should also add that ease of control mapping is near the top of my desired features list. The Novations seem good for this, but they are pretty spendy compared to others.

The budget will be in the $400-$450 range (this is assuming I don't sell the M-Audio one which would get me around another $100) and I am all for buying used gear if it means I get more for my money.
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Alright. Got my computer back on Wednesday so I could finally start playing.

I've realized already that I should have gotten some sort of controller with pads on it. Some knobs would be a plus too.

I could keep that M-Audio controller that I bought and get an MPD32 or I could probably get away with returning the M-Audio to GC (or get $80 for it on ebay) and get an MPK49 or 61.

Or another option would me an MPD18 with an APC40 (keeping the M-Audio).

Again with the waffling.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I should also add that ease of control mapping is near the top of my desired features list. The Novations seem good for this, but they are pretty spendy compared to others.

The budget will be in the $400-$450 range (this is assuming I don't sell the M-Audio one which would get me around another $100) and I am all for buying used gear if it means I get more for my money.
I'll tell you what I myself have really enjoyed using with Live. I use an m-audio axiom 49. It does the trick. The coolest thing for me though is the use of my bass as a midi controller itself via an interface.

There are MUCH better controllers than the axiom obviously, but it's all about what you are going to use it for.
Old 14th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll tell you what I myself have really enjoyed using with Live. I use an m-audio axiom 49. It does the trick. The coolest thing for me though is the use of my bass as a midi controller itself via an interface.

There are MUCH better controllers than the axiom obviously, but it's all about what you are going to use it for.
Do you know anything about the Axiom Pro vs. the Axiom? They look awesome but I don't know if the extra $$ is worth it.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you know anything about the Axiom Pro vs. the Axiom? They look awesome but I don't know if the extra $$ is worth it.
Well, from what I can gather, the difference is pretty huge. Without going back into the thread, what instrument do you play?

The biggest surface level difference is that the "Pro" version is more so a real feel keyboard instrument. That's a BIG deal to most keyboardists. It's built much tougher. It's casing is metal instead of plastic although I have traveled quite a bit with mine in typical gig skin and have never had any real problems due to it's plastic casing. It's pretty tough actually and honestly, for those like myself that are more so sincere enthusiasts, than gigging "professionals", it's a wonderfully solid controller.

The main thing with the "Pro" version though seems to be that it's tailor built for PT. I don't think that's going to be of much use to you via Live 8.

Live 8 has great take over modes and does support the Axiom. I have always loved Live's midi mapping feature. It really doesn't get any easier.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're looking at the APC40 you probably ought to look at the LaunchPad to.. its cheaper.. and easier to take on the go.. but with out the sliders or knobs.

I think if you want pads.. like for drum programming.. the problem with both the APC40 and Launch Pad is that they don't have key velocity.

There are some pretty cheap keyboards that give you a lot of stuff.. from sliders to pads to knob-e things to good mapping for different software.. some are popular among live users.. I don't know much about it though.. but its something to look at.

I know you've made your choices.. but just as this thread will be around for other people...

I now own Ableton Suite, Komplete, Kore, NI Maschine, Reason, Record.. not supper great with the Ableton stuff yet but..

I really like reason + record from a process point of view.. I agree that Reason does need some serious updating in effects and synths.. Record in my view does go a long way in improving the sound, but still! It's also worth mentioning that though its a problem that Reason could benefit from some updated sound.. that it does run remarkably well on older systems.

The process is one of.. crafting your sound.. the way you can just patch stuff together.. its very unique.. I love the process.

Reason + Record for $500.. I think is a very interesting proposition for someone starting out..

Having to do Reason or Reason + Record via rewire is a manageable hassle..

I disagree that Reaktor is too complex for beginners.. Probably too complex to program for a beginner.. especially if you have a crap load of other stuff to go worry about.. but between synths, effects, and what not you get in the box.. and the stuff you can download of user generated stuff? OMG its insane! So I think there's a lot of value for the beginner there.. and in someways.. its like you buy this one thing and you can explore so many different worlds just with that one thing...

I'm kinda a big Native Instruments fan.. Absynth is my all time favorite synth to program.. and I would sooo pick it over the Ableton Suite.. especially if you where to grow into using another DAW besides Ableton at some point.. its nice that you can take Komplete with you.

The size of the Kontakt sample library, alone.. wow.. especially if you don't already have a sample library.. is very compelling.. and I think its kinda one of the leaders as far as sampling software goes. I'm not supper big on battery.. but a lot of people seem to like its work flow.. The FM8 is a very awesome FM synth.. I think FM synthesis is one of the harder synthesis types to learn.. but I think they make it easy enough to kinda alter sounds that.. well there's that, right? I hate that they got rid of the Prophet 53 and B4.. don't understand it in the least.

I dig the new guitar rig.. especially now that its really stereo.. so its great for griming up your more pristine synth sounds.

What I like about Kore is.. I would normally probably note use the compressors or EQs of Guitar Rig in a mix.. but with Kore it's like "ok, I'll try this out, see how it sounds." So it changes how you think in a very cool way. I also love programing synths where I'm like "Ok, I have these 8 knobs where I can use to change how this thing sounds.. so that the patches I create become like these expressive puppets almost.. strange analogy I know. It's also nice that kore comes with some other effects.. to kinda add to your pallet.

Maschine had some issues.. that made it sorta not the greatest solution for a lot of people.. but an update just came out that fixes a lot of it. I think it has great sounds, great effects.. and you can even use it to control Ableton.. and you get the velocity sensitive pads.. and its whole way of working.

I'm guitarist, not a keyboard player, so I really only use keyboards to audition sounds or while I'm programming sounds.. I've only just started to explore the issue of live performance with electronic music.. which is why I invested in Maschine and the APC40.. and why I still think of getting a Launch Pad.. particular for use with Max for Live.. So I can't really go into great depth, yet, about how this all works.

I'm taking my mix engineer metaphor to the table when working with the APC40 and I'm not super into how it deals with sends and pans.. or even EQ for that matter.. but I don't think most people have this kind of an issue... and not being super sophisticated with Live yet.. take what I say with a grain of salt... All that said.. working with the APC40 and Live is really like a revelation.

Yeah.. everyone ought to have an audio interface.. it's a MUST.. even if you just want to get good quality sound out of your computer.. There's a huge variety out there.. basically the usual thing to worry about is A/D D/A conversion, quality of preamps, amount of I/O.. sample rates... am I missing anything?

I think its useful to have long term goals with your studio / tools.. and I think that probably informs your choices.. particularly on interfaces.. for instance.. there's the idea of recording the whole band live.. so you can give fans live mixes of the shows.. with a special code that was on there ticket.. to help build your email data base..

But yeah.. sounds like you got a crap load of stuff all at once.. I often have the same problem.. when I first bought Komplete.. it was a lot bigger then it is today.. and it was probably a year before I really knew all the inns and outs... never mind trying to learn Ableton on top of that!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles ➑️
If you're looking at the APC40 you probably ought to look at the LaunchPad to.. its cheaper.. and easier to take on the go.. but with out the sliders or knobs.

I think if you want pads.. like for drum programming.. the problem with both the APC40 and Launch Pad is that they don't have key velocity.

There are some pretty cheap keyboards that give you a lot of stuff.. from sliders to pads to knob-e things to good mapping for different software.. some are popular among live users.. I don't know much about it though.. but its something to look at.

I know you've made your choices.. but just as this thread will be around for other people...

I now own Ableton Suite, Komplete, Kore, NI Maschine, Reason, Record.. not supper great with the Ableton stuff yet but..

I really like reason + record from a process point of view.. I agree that Reason does need some serious updating in effects and synths.. Record in my view does go a long way in improving the sound, but still! It's also worth mentioning that though its a problem that Reason could benefit from some updated sound.. that it does run remarkably well on older systems.

The process is one of.. crafting your sound.. the way you can just patch stuff together.. its very unique.. I love the process.

Reason + Record for $500.. I think is a very interesting proposition for someone starting out..

Having to do Reason or Reason + Record via rewire is a manageable hassle..

I disagree that Reaktor is too complex for beginners.. Probably too complex to program for a beginner.. especially if you have a crap load of other stuff to go worry about.. but between synths, effects, and what not you get in the box.. and the stuff you can download of user generated stuff? OMG its insane! So I think there's a lot of value for the beginner there.. and in someways.. its like you buy this one thing and you can explore so many different worlds just with that one thing...

I'm kinda a big Native Instruments fan.. Absynth is my all time favorite synth to program.. and I would sooo pick it over the Ableton Suite.. especially if you where to grow into using another DAW besides Ableton at some point.. its nice that you can take Komplete with you.

The size of the Kontakt sample library, alone.. wow.. especially if you don't already have a sample library.. is very compelling.. and I think its kinda one of the leaders as far as sampling software goes. I'm not supper big on battery.. but a lot of people seem to like its work flow.. The FM8 is a very awesome FM synth.. I think FM synthesis is one of the harder synthesis types to learn.. but I think they make it easy enough to kinda alter sounds that.. well there's that, right? I hate that they got rid of the Prophet 53 and B4.. don't understand it in the least.

I dig the new guitar rig.. especially now that its really stereo.. so its great for griming up your more pristine synth sounds.

What I like about Kore is.. I would normally probably note use the compressors or EQs of Guitar Rig in a mix.. but with Kore it's like "ok, I'll try this out, see how it sounds." So it changes how you think in a very cool way. I also love programing synths where I'm like "Ok, I have these 8 knobs where I can use to change how this thing sounds.. so that the patches I create become like these expressive puppets almost.. strange analogy I know. It's also nice that kore comes with some other effects.. to kinda add to your pallet.
I am REALLY tempted to purchase Komplete because of the deal they have right now. Thing is, I already own Reaktor (I second the fact that it's ABSOLUTELY GREAT for beginners) and also the Komplete Synths. I am a bassist so I am not certain GR would be all that applicable to my situation.

I also believe that for the most part Live likes NI.
Old 15th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, from what I can gather, the difference is pretty huge. Without going back into the thread, what instrument do you play?
My main instrument is drums. I've also been playing guitar and bass since I was a kid. I'm not a "keyboardist" per se. Lots of piano lessons as a kid and I've always had some type of synth in my possession. It's just in the last 6 months or so that I've started playing keys a lot more. I'm assuming the reason you asked is because if keys were my main instrument I would probably have more of a preference with respect to how the keys feel? I've gotten used to the Nord Lead and Juno 60 which both feel similar to me, so I'm assuming the controllers that say "semi-weighted keys" would be along the same line as those? The M-Audio KeyRig that I have (on ebay) feels really, really cheap and plasticy. That's part of the reason I decided I needed something better. I played with a bunch of different ones at GC to at least get a feel for them but of course they don't actually have any of them hooked up to a computer. It's really hard to tell for sure how they'll actually feel (especially the pads) when you're not hitting them to make a sound, just to see what they feel like to the touch.

Quote:
The biggest surface level difference is that the "Pro" version is more so a real feel keyboard instrument. That's a BIG deal to most keyboardists. It's built much tougher. It's casing is metal instead of plastic although I have traveled quite a bit with mine in typical gig skin and have never had any real problems due to it's plastic casing. It's pretty tough actually and honestly, for those like myself that are more so sincere enthusiasts, than gigging "professionals", it's a wonderfully solid controller.
I like the sound of a metal casing but I don't know how necessary it would be for me. We are planning on playing shows around town eventually but the chance of us touring is slim so it's probably not going to get banged around too much.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos of all sorts of controllers. I really like the look of the Novation SL MK IIs also. But again, they're on the more expensive side.

Quote:

I think both look awesome and like they would be a lot of fun, live and when writing. I just wish they had pads. I need keys, I need pads, and I need knobs; I don't really need something for triggering clips. At least not at this point. I really should just get a nice keyboard controller that has all the other stuff built in, but I keep going back to trying to figure out a way to work the APC40 into whatever I get. That would cover some knobs and sliders, but no pads or keys. If I also get a keyboard with pads, it's going to have knobs and sliders, now I have knobs and sliders on the APC I might not even need. Did I just pay $300-$400 for something that's simply "fun"? I suppose I could do a Launchpad along with a keyboard controller but all over the internet there is talk of that pads really sucking on basically all the keyboard controllers so maybe I should get a PadKontrol. Then I'm back to a basic keyboard controller because I don't need pads but now I need some knobs. Should I get an APC? These are the crazy ass dilemmas that go through my head when making decisions like this.

I'm really just trying to figure out the best option(s) for around $500.

Quote:
That's encouraging. I honestly haven't even opened the program yet, but I am excited to at some point soon. I'm basically just spending all my time in Live at this point.

Quote:
Maschine had some issues.. that made it sorta not the greatest solution for a lot of people.. but an update just came out that fixes a lot of it. I think it has great sounds, great effects.. and you can even use it to control Ableton.. and you get the velocity sensitive pads.. and its whole way of working.
I actually played with Maschine for a good 30-45 minutes at GC a couple weeks ago. I didn't know anything about it and within a few minutes I was making it do things. I really like the feel of the controller, but I think buying it at this point would just be ridiculous. If money didn't matter...
Old 15th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've watched a lot of youtube videos of all sorts of controllers. I really like the look of the Novation SL MK IIs also. But again, they're on the more expensive side.
A controller is a (relatively) cheap long-time investment. Synths and software come and go; controllers keep doing what they do.

The feeling of the keys is very important to me; I am rather disappointed in most of the cheaper offerings out there. The keys feel cheap, they're noisy, the build-quality is sub-par. Novation has one of the better keyboards, and Automap is a pretty great invention.
Old 30th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me out on this thread. Obviously I'm a rookie in the realm of making music on a computer. A lot of forums that I post on wouldn't have been nearly as nice and helpful to a noob rehashing questions that have been asked a million times (I know this because I've been one of those dicks). So thanks everyone for all your help. My eyes haven't left my computer screen for a month. I don't think I've been this excited about music since I got my first drum set in like 5th grade...1987ish. Man, I'm old. My guitars and drums are now sitting in the corner, neglected...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have to force myself sometimes to pick up my SG Standard these days too, just to keep the dust off
The other day I was sampling some mangling some guitar in ableton though which was quite fun...+1

edit: I would start playing around and let your next gear purchase decide itself...if you decide you need help launching clips quicker, you know your choices. If you find that you need to control your softsynths more..then thats self explanitory too :P
Thats how I buy my new gear at least.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbruce ➑️
I have to force myself sometimes to pick up my SG Standard these days too, just to keep the dust off
The other day I was sampling some mangling some guitar in ableton though which was quite fun...+1
Yeah, I'm kind of hoping that getting Guitar Rig in Komplete will give me an excuse to plug a guitar in again eventually (at this point, I haven't even opened the application though...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbruce ➑️
edit: I would start playing around and let your next gear purchase decide itself...if you decide you need help launching clips quicker, you know your choices. If you find that you need to control your softsynths more..then thats self explanitory too :P
Thats how I buy my new gear at least.
I actually bought a used APC40 last night. I love Live for (among MANY other things) the ability to record as many ideas as I want as a song is coming together and now (with the APC40) being able to quickly and easily try them out together, alone, this part with that part, that part with this part. The mouse kind of sucks for just playing around with clips. Ideas come together so much faster now compared to when I was recording in ProTools or a 4-Track. Needless to say, I got about 2 hours of sleep last night because of my new toy.

I still need to pull the trigger on a keyboard controller. The NanoKey I've been using in the meantime is not cutting it. I "think" I've got it narrowed down to either an MPK or one of the Novation SLs (Mk1).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➑️
This is probably some kind of blasphemy, but I only use Live's "traditional" part - e.g. Arrangement mode.

Session mode is kind of its own world .
You're not alone! I usually lay down a single drumbeat + bassline in session view, and then the rest of the song is written in the arrange window.
Old 31st December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehuman ➑️
You're not alone! I usually lay down a single drumbeat + bassline in session view, and then the rest of the song is written in the arrange window.
heck of lot easier to composes an actual song this way. Session is great for improvising, but I am not a huge automation fan when it comes to recording into arrangement view from session. Things can get screwed up mighty easy.

Live's a great program but man are they ever going through some ****e right now. Been following any of that?
πŸ“ Reply