Quantcast
4000$ on synth's - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
4000$ on synth's
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just heard a studio electronics code synth with CS-80 filters and I'm totally ruined.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
look at your disposable income

can you fritter away $1k a year on botique monos? then spend $4k on something big and beautiful, or get two big things, that you'll never be able to get no matter how hard you save (ordinarily).

is $4k your entire budget, forever (more or less)? then I would go for analog variety and quantity over absolute quality. mks-50, matrix 1k, neptune, xs, obie, vsynth, mbase is a lot of territory and versatility.

if you have credit card debt pay that first.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat87 ➑️
I have 4000$ to put on synthesizer, i have all the vst possible, and a blofeld.
I would like to have some analog gears, but a virus c would be interesting too

Not enough information here to tell.
Do your vsti's include a sampler?
Do have any kind of keyboard now, or are you using other means?
Have you tried a Virus C, to be able to tell if it offers enough difference from your vsti's to consider purchasing?

The Andromeda would take a big chunk of your available money, but it's worth it IMO.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, there are a lot of cheap 80's rack effects to be had for under even 50 bucks. TONS of VERY CHEAP options for a REALLY unique tonal palette.

I would say an Andro, a Mono, a cheaper poly (Polysix or MKS-30), and whole lot of cheap effects.

Or even an analog filter... have you considered an amazing filter? I use the Sherman Filterbank, but if you are looking for cleaner there are the used Moogerfoogers, frostwaves, Allen Heath, the Jomox filters, Mutator, Electrix, and even the ubber expensive Ebbe and Flutt.

It must be hell being blasted by all these gear suggestions! But an Amazing Filter is about as inspiring/useful as an amazing effects processor.

Quote:
i have the dp/4 and the quadraverb... and i will buy the fireface 400 in about a month... then theres the synth problem... i'm thinking more and more about the andromeda after everything you've said, an andromeda is around 2000$? then i should look for a good monosynth, or a good eventide??
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Things like 16-bit digital effects can be done pretty well by computers.

Analog CAN'T.. so the analog machines I think should be of higher value to you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
no i never tried a virus.
euhhh, well right now, i've got 5 k, 1 k going for the fireface 400.
It's the only Big amount of money i ll have for the next 4 years... But every years, yes of course, i can manage 1 k of gears, not more i think tough... So for now,i only have 4 k to put, i like the idea of one good poly (A6) and a 1k mono synth...as for the sampler, i have kontakt 3. I never tough of a drum machine, i love batterry, so do i really need it? It's the first time i'llbuy hardware, been only working inbox, but want to play outside a little bit...
Lives for gear

Quote:
no i never tried a virus.
euhhh, well right now, i've got 5 k, 1 k going for the fireface 400.
It's the only Big amount of money i ll have for the next 4 years... But every years, yes of course, i can manage 1 k of gears, not more i think tough... So for now,i only have 4 k to put, i like the idea of one good poly (A6) and a 1k mono synth...as for the sampler, i have kontakt 3. I never tough of a drum machine, i love batterry, so do i really need it?
you can get a fireface 800 for $1k on ebay
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe ➑️
you can get a fireface 800 for $1k on ebay
i'v never saw them at that price
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'v never saw them at that price
they usually got for a little more, but if you get lucky you can get one for that much
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
for psy, one could do worse then some kind of poly evolver kbd / spectralis combo. simple and a lot of sound at ones disposal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for 4K, and IDM and PSY... you want fast, snappy synths for your sequences, basses and leads, and a big/ambient sounding pads..

my suggestion would be:

used Andromeda
used SH-101
used SH-2
used EMAX I rack

rolands are fast, and have the exact "electronic " character that has been working so well for this type of music. they are all over psy & idm releases from day one. huge track record. additionally, i think oyull enjoy the realtime aspect of having a SH101 arpeggiator/sequnecer linked to your DAWs midi clock.. its so inspiring, not just arranging but also a compositional tool in these styles.

Studio Electronics stuff would never be my first choice for snappy stuff required in high-bmp music, or plinky/plonky/perc IDM sounds. i tested them on high bpms in my studio. they just cannot follow the likes of mini, Roland SH2/101, JP8, or any modulars, when it comes to speed.

Emax is gritty lo fi sampler. cheap. load mine via midi sample dump, with processed stuff, or classic analog samples like CR78. it screws em up in a very desirable way. love punchy drums, and choirs with this thing, and screechy strings too.

for now, use your VSTi's for virus-ey type sounds.. you can even run some of them out thru your analog synths filter (SH2 for example), and back, to give em some extra life and edge.

just remembered, later on you could also pickup a used Nord Lead 2X rack. its awesome for idm/psy, just awesome. analog percussions, cold cutting, yet musical, sequences etc. ime better than any virus for this type of thing. perfect complement to real analogs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

With the Open Labs product you'll be able to Mimik almost every synth ever made...I did.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock ➑️
With the Open Labs product you'll be able to Mimik almost every synth ever made...I did.
did you get passed the thread title?? LOL heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
and... what is this synth??????!!!!!!!!????????????
Lives for gear

Quote:
and... what is this synth??????!!!!!!!!????????????
just a keyboard and a computer put together with some fancy software
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
from the dictionary:

fancy = crappy sounding emulation

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
oh well oh well, thinks its going to be the A6,now i have to found one! now, theres one on sweet water but its 3000$, whats the average price for a used andromeda????
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
recently one went for $2100. this yr, ive seen em from $1900 up to $2600 (for practically brand new).

PS if you do get A6, do give small SH rolands a listen. im using them with my A6, and theyre totally doing what A6 cant, and vice versa. perfect combo. if u want some demos PM me.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
oh well oh well, thinks its going to be the A6,now i have to found one! now, theres one on sweet water but its 3000$, whats the average price for a used andromeda????
pre-order for $2500 at novamusik

Nova Musik- The Electronic Musician's Wonderland.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
okay so around 2000$ ans i should buy, great. Have you tried the vst version of the sh-101, i use it mostly every song, but they are 1000 buck!?! im thikking more of a se-1x or a monopoly...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dfegad

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock ➑️
that's just my opinion anyways...

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so now, atc-x vs se-1x vs moog voyager vs any mono synth you love
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
No the SH-101 I use was had for 500$ total. you can find them for between that and 700 on the regular.

A monopoly would definitely be a good choice.. big 4-voice sound! But it's not quite the machine that an SH-101 is. Definitely a bigger sound, definitely more flexible, but the SH-101 just bounces and fits perfectly into ANY track.. really!

Yes, for the kind of music you do the SH-101 is perfect.

I agree with clusterchords whole list!

Emax.. whew, love my Emax rack! And for 200 bucks... **** man. AND it has those sweet SSM analog filters. Really an amazing machine!

Quote:
okay so around 2000$ ans i should buy, great. Have you tried the vst version of the sh-101, i use it mostly every song, but they are 1000 buck!?! im thikking more of a se-1x or a monopoly...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

naaah just forget the VST version. you will be blown away once you start doin sequences with a real SH101. its punchy, and alive. as pegglejoe said, arround $700 will get you a nice one. se-1x is very nice modern take on moogy sound, but even the nova musik edition, which is the fastest incarnation of SE-1, isn't as fast as 101. i find the speed essential when doing rapid bpm stuff. but, ymmv.

alternatively, if you're thinking of a higher end mono, there are other options, like the SCI Pro One and moog Source, that based on pure sound quality, simply blow away most new monophonics as it is. to say their sound is classic/legendary is a huge understatement. either can be had for arround a grand. plus, minus..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you can be patieint I see them pop up for 1,500 to 2,000 every once and a while.
Quote:
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
to give the discussion a new, a bit provokative twist:
how about the solaris from john bowen? $3899.-, shipping early 2010 and definitely one of the most impressive units on the market (according to the specs AND to the people who actually worked with it hands on).

Solaris - Specifications

Oscillators: Four (4) oscillators. Each can be of the following types:
  • MultiMode (standard waveshapes, combinations, plus double saw)
  • WaveTable (wavetables 1-64 from the Waldorf Microwave synthesizers)
  • Sample playback (.wav file or Akai format)
  • CEM VCO chip model (like those used in the later Rev. 3.x versions of the Prophet 5)
  • model of the waveform oscillators used in the Prophet VS
  • (temperature stable) model of the oscillators used in the MiniMoog.
Rotors: Two (2) rotors which are special sound sources, implemented as a looping wavesequence of four (4) waveshapes, played successively.

Filters: Four (4) filters. Each can be of the following types:
  • SSM VCF chip model (like those used in earlier Rev. 1 and Rev. 2 versions of the Prophet 5)
  • CEM VCF chip model (like those used in the later Rev. 3.x versions of the Prophet 5)
  • model of the MiniMoog 'ladder' filter
  • model of the Oberheim State Variable Filter (found in earlier Oberheim synthesizers), Lowpass only
  • comb filter (two types, with positive and negative feedback).
Mixers: Four (4) mixers, each with four inputs. Effects can be inserted post-mix before these feed into their respective filters.

Vector Mixers: Two (2) separate vector mixers, each with four (4) inputs assignable to the cardinal points of the built-in joystick for manual blending.

Envelope Generators (EGs): Six (6) EGs, each with five (5) stages - Delay, Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release.

Looping Envelope Generator: One looping envelope generator, with eight (8) stages. Variable Loop Start and Key Off (Sustain) points. Times and Levels can be modulated, and output is bi-polar.

Low Frequency Oscillators (LFOs): Four (4) LFOs plus one (1) LFO dedicated (i.e., already pre-wired) to oscillators as Vibrato LFO. Each LFO offers control over delayed start, fade-in and fade-out times, key sync and phase control.

Effects: Phaser, chorus/flanger, delay, and 3-band EQ effects are available. The series order of the FX is user-definable. There are also three (3) Insert Effects, which can be pre- or post-filter. These are Decimation, BitChop, and Distortion.

Keyboard: Fatar manufactured 61-key weighted, dynamic bubble contact, monophonic after-touch strip

Performance controls:
  • two wheels (pitch and modulation)
  • joystick
  • ribbon controller
Main display: one (1) 240 x 60 backlit graphic display
Section displays: five (5) 2 x 40 backlit character displays
MIDI: In/Out/Thru jacks
Power: 120-240V (AC)
Dimensions: 39" x 16" x 6" (WxDxH) 98 x 41 x 15 cm (WxDxH)
Weight: approximately 33 pounds (15kg)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Solaris looks good on paper, but I've yet to hear a demo which brings it even close to the same ballpark that synths like the Omega or Andromeda occupy. On the digital, wavetable, side of things, it doesn't really sound as good as a Waldorf XT either, and one can get both an A6 and an XT for well below the price of a Solaris.....

Of course this is all just my opinion. Different people have different tastes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ando + eventide
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Studio Electronics CODE. YouTube - Novamusik's Channel
πŸ“ Reply