Synth Bass Help/Tips (Burial) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synth Bass Help/Tips (Burial)
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Synth Bass Help/Tips (Burial)

Hello!

I'm currently in the process of making a song. It's heavily influenced by Burial. That sort of dark, atmospheric, moody techy dubstep that's doing the rounds at the moment. My song is sounding good but it just lacks BASS. This is something I have never been able to manage properly. I'm not looking for that 'wobble' type effect, just a dark sub bass to give the song some low end...

I'm currently using Ableton and I have the NI Komplete package. Do I just find a sample of a sub bass, load that into a Sampler (say Battery 3?) and just go from there?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Komplete has kontakt so you should find a sub-bass patch in kontakt and you can play it straight from there. With over 43 gigs of samples, I'm 100% sure there has to be a sub-bass in there somewhere, and kontakt is a sampler so you don't have to send it to battery or anything. Battery is usually not for traditional "instruments" where you want to play one sound in many pitches, because you'd need to manually make a lot of cells for each pitch. Use it for drums/hits/sfx/samples.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Why load a subbass in a non-chromatic sampler? Why even use a sampler at all?

Why not just start with Massive and a low sinewave and see where that gets you? Remember to check the "Ultra" quality settings.
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think you'll want to use a sample. You'll get a better quality sound if you use Massive as the previous poster suggested. I'm 100% sure there are a couple good presets in there you can use for a sub-bass sound, as I've heard them before as I've scrolled through them.
📝 Reply