Quantcast
OB-8 function questions...manual vs my findings... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OB-8 function questions...manual vs my findings...
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
OB-8 function questions...manual vs my findings...

Ive asked this in Vintage synth.com help section but due to the tumbleweed of silence (how many people can be bothered visiting help sections...?) and the fact that there are a few OB-8 owners around here (Roginator)...I'd drop it here...

2 Questions:

1. The Chord function. I have a scan of the manual and the way the manual suggests - does not give me a chord function...
Play a chord. Press 'hold'. Yup that works. Then release the keys-yup chord holds. Then press 'chord'. Ok chord hold stops. Press a key and chord is transposed. No-just seems to go back to regular playing. No chord hold on each key.
It may be something to do with the transpose limit settings? But Ive tried pressing a load of keys and the ones Ive tried dont seem to create the previous chord...

Any ideas?

2. The Arpegiator:
I'd like to use it in Unison mode - however when I press Unison - the arp instead of playing all voices - plays each of the 8 voices in a row.
Also I'd like to have a re-trigger when pressing one note. According to the manual - that should happen with the arp mode 'hold' button on. However nothing happens with the 'hold' button until I press the 'Unison' button as well at which point I get retriggering but of each voice-not in Unison....

Confusing eh?!

Im wondering if this is due to the revision of the software?
Old 19th November 2009

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
One more question regarding the Page 2 Voices Detune function (that detunes all voices). Well, i've made a patch in which i used this function, and when i go to manual mode or any other patch, i can no longer detune the voices. They just stand on the original (unchanged) pitch as if this function no longer exists.

Basically, i no longer have voice detune feature on OB-8 unless i go to the patch that uses it. Any ideas?
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
One more question regarding the Page 2 Voices Detune function (that detunes all voices). Well, i've made a patch in which i used this function, and when i go to manual mode or any other patch, i can no longer detune the voices. They just stand on the original (unchanged) pitch as if this function no longer exists.

Basically, i no longer have voice detune feature on OB-8 unless i go to the patch that uses it. Any ideas?
I'll have to check this on mine...I did notice yesterday that the voices detune is quite subtle/has quite a narrow range....is yours the same?
Old 20th November 2009 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah. It's more like a basic "detune" thing, instead of some wild ranges, which would be more cool for drone baths.

Oh and i seem to remember that problems you mentioned with the both chord and arpeggio. If i remember it didn't worked on mine unit too.

My OB-8 is currently in hibernation (along with the OB-X and JP-8). If i find time i will pull it out and test it. Give me a day.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
My OB-8 is currently in hibernation (along with the OB-X and JP-8).
Why, if you don't mind to reveal?

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
Why, if you don't mind to reveal?
I believe my "studio design" thread explains it all. heh Big mess in the room...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah. It's more like a basic "detune" thing, instead of some wild ranges, which would be more cool for drone baths.

Oh and i seem to remember that problems you mentioned with the both chord and arpeggio. If i remember it didn't worked on mine unit too.

My OB-8 is currently in hibernation (along with the OB-X and JP-8). If i find time i will pull it out and test it. Give me a day.
ah thats interesting...for some reason I thought it not neccessarily a problem-but perhaps a quirk in the programming according to the version? But maybe Im being unusually optimistic...

yeah if/when you do get him back out do let me know how you get on...seems a little sacrilegious to have 3 such beasts locked away...!
📝 Reply