Quantcast
is the JX3P worth it if I own a Korg R3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is the JX3P worth it if I own a Korg R3
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
is the JX3P worth it if I own a Korg R3

I was wondering if buying a Roland JX3P for $300 cdn is worth it. I own the Korg R3 so i'm wondering if the JX3P will be a redundancy since I hear it's pretty "thin" sounding.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
That's a pretty steep price (well - okay. They're up to around 200 euros now here, which is $300 with the current rates, but these machines are less rare in the US).

It better be in good condition for that. On the other hand, it'll give you a different character - not as bright and glassy as the R3 can be.
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i've seen a JX10 go for Β£210 ($360) the other day on ebay, sure you could get a JX8P for around that too if you were diligent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Last month I saw an eBay ad for a 300$ 8P in Montreal. In case that helps.

Talk him down!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
got mine for 120

but it's pretty rough...three dead keys, and when you sync the two oscillators, one of them will only play every sixth note. 80% functional.

even for a mint one 300's kind of much

unless he's throwing in the PG200! then go for it
Old 11th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The JX3P is a way fun synth, get it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've never heard Korg's R3, but the jx-3p is a great, cheap analog poly, and the programming interface without the pg is ok (you'll remember the parameter's numbers faster than you think). Of course, controls are coarse, it doesn't have a dedicated filter/pitch eg, the filter looses body as resonance is increased, and the oscillator's design shows its rudimentary digital nature when sync/ring mod are activated (still better than not), but it can make some very nice sounds, with a definitive analog presence (it'll probably perform much better than your R3 in the bass register, even though its overall tone is more in the mid-range !) 300$ seems ok to me, if it's in good shape.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishy-washy ➑️
I've never heard Korg's R3, but the jx-3p is a great, cheap analog poly
+1.

I'd buy immediately for 300$ (~200 euros). Then again, vintage synth market here is just crazy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko ➑️
Then again, vintage synth market here is just crazy.

Everywhere in Europe...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
dfegad R3! sounds way too clean and sterile.
never had a JX3P but even my crappy Bit One, with all its clocknoise and bad editing capabilities, sounded better for simple 2osc analog sounds
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

nothing wrong with clean.. a bit too clean for me though i think im getting rid of mine
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A Roland JX3P is way different from a Korg R3, worlds apart I would say. The R3 has many "animated" sounds due to its arpeggiator and step sequencer that can easily sync to MIDI time clock for some amazing programmable sounds. Think of the JX3P as more plain o'l vanilla, not too many fancy shmancy things going on here. IMO, the JX3P offers warm classic analog sounds distinctive to its time era, 1983. It would take some creative innovation here to bring it up to par with an R3, like adding the PG200 programmer and an outboard effects unit.

Keep in mind the JX3P only transmits on MIDI channel 1 after connecting the MIDI out to the MIDI in, turning it on and hitting six keys at one time. (or something like that!) So, it is a bit of a hassle to use in a MIDI set-up, no MIDI knob transmission here either, can’t use the PG200 if you are using MIDI, no apreggiator, but ahh....the sound of a real analog is totally worth it to some synth aficionados around here, myself included. Sometimes it’s the limitations that force us to be a bit more creative and give an old synth its own unique character. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
JX3P is fantastic... Cant say enough great things about it!

alexP
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I regret selling mine and am looking for another to replace it.
It really does sound like Axel F..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
can't compare the two really. they're just different. jx3p is analog and has a warm sound. I wanted one but i decided on a jx8p at the time. have you checked out the demos on youtube?

I'm not a fan of the r3, it sounds about the same as a korg ms2000 but more tamed(which is a bad thing for me)

I think you'll like it if this is being your first analog.

i see tons of em on ebay for much cheaper these days...

hope this helps a lil.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonK ➑️
it sounds about the same as a korg ms2000 but more tamed
more tamed than a ms-2000, what is that ...at least they've adjusted the size of their synthesizers to the little tiny cheap dsp's they use...
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishy-washy ➑️
more tamed than a ms-2000, what is that ...at least they've adjusted the size of their synthesizers to the little tiny cheap dsp's they use...
ms2000 sounds more gritty/grimey. which i liked. r3 sounds pretty cold and very clear.

i recently got rid of my ms2000 though.. traded for a protozoa chip.
Lives for gear

i was just using my r3 along side with my little phatty and the r3 just doesn't deliver. even my software synths sound better. whenever i connect through usb i get noise from the outputs and the software editor is very annoying to use. it's got a million windows that open up all over the place rather than just being a single window with everything in it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the vocoder on the R3, that's what I use...the rest of the patches are OK but never use them. To people starting in recording or making music they offer a nice diverse selection of sounds. JX-3P was my first polyphonic synth in 1983 yes it's a wonderful machine so it can be a nice addition if your looking for more 'real' analog type of sounds, but in it's orginal state it's rather primitive, so I'd go for 1 with the programmer and the midi modification.
πŸ“ Reply