Quantcast
help me pick a poly synth! - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
help me pick a poly synth!
Old 7th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Alehoe,

You could do worse than an ESQ-1 or SQ-80. For the record, both boards have the analog filter that your jonesing for, plus, the stereo imaging is really nice. The synth is near modular, so you can control the panning manually, by LFOs, etc..

If you don't want to save up for the A6, I'd go with the SQ-80 or ESQ-1. I own both the SQ-80 and the A6, and have to say that the Ensoniqs are a steal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetty ➑️
I had a new go at the 08 the other day and some presets were quite impressive, actually. Yes, it's got a wimpy feeling but if you get past that, I'm sure this is a good machine.

If you want a JP6 ever at a "reasonable" price, grab one now. The prophet 600 is still a good buy (although you could go for a 08 instead).

If you live near a Craiglist, just wait until the right deal comes around. I'm certain you could score an OB-8 or something for 2k.
im always checking the south florida graigslist and all i ever find are either digital synths or juno-106s

it's a little depressing... why am i starting to get emotional over synthesizers?

i'm considering getting a prophet '08 desktop with a bad encoder hopefully for cheap and upgrading it with the pot kit someone told me is DSI is already offering

hopefully the kit comes with new knobs..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe ➑️
im always checking the south florida graigslist and all i ever find are either digital synths or juno-106s

it's a little depressing... why am i starting to get emotional over synthesizers?

i'm considering getting a prophet '08 desktop with a bad encoder hopefully for cheap and upgrading it with the pot kit someone told me is DSI is already offering

hopefully the kit comes with new knobs..
Patience is not a virtue but, it can be practical some times. There's a reason why 08 (and Andromeda for that matter) aren't great hits

If you can still score a JP6 within your budget.

And an argument for JX3P: YouTube - Bastian - Downers

Last edited by Jetty; 7th January 2010 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Dunno if Bastian uses JP6..
Quote:
Patience is not a virtue but, it can be practical some times. There's a reason why 08 (and Andromeda for that matter) aren't great hits

If you can still score a JP6 within your budget.

And an argument for JX3P: YouTube - Bastian - Downers
andromeda seems to be a pretty big hit around here

the prophet 08 not so much but many do like it (only big complaint is the encoders)

and well the jx3p is pretty limited, wouldn't i be better off just stacking up my little phatty?
Shy
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
and well the jx3p is pretty limited, wouldn't i be better off just stacking up my little phatty?
It is very limited, and yes.
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Save more money and buy Andromeda. It's a wildcard for the big boys club.

And this demo will fcuk you up:

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Have you recorded any demos, Mr. Solaris? (With background & temperature tuning routines disengaged)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
Save more money and buy Andromeda. It's a wildcard for the big boys club.

And this demo will fcuk you up:

listened to the demos on here --- Alan Marcero Β· Web Developer Β· Music Producer ---

again..

the prophet definitely sounds better than the nord and the virus but not as good as the andromeda

spending $3k on a synth doesn't make much sense for me right now though

i think im gonna go with a prophet 08 (the keybaord version if i can find out cheap enough) then do the pot upgrade and sell it when i save up more $ for an andromeda

the prophet 08 hate threat convinced me
well looks like my plan is on it's way
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I finally see (hear) the light! Andromeda!! Finally something convincing from that machine. Sounded very powerful.

Congrats on your 08, alehoe. I'm sure you will enjoy it's sound.
Old 9th January 2010 | Show parent
Quote:
I finally see (hear) the light! Andromeda!! Finally something convincing from that machine. Sounded very powerful.

Congrats on your 08, alehoe. I'm sure you will enjoy it's sound.
hey man thanks!

i really hope i don't have any problems with the encoders at least until i get the pot upgrade
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did you buy it yet?

There's an OB-8 at $2400 even at Ebay. Way better than 08
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
alehoe, is their any reason you considered the dsi prophet 08 and tetra, but not the poly evolver?
Quote:
Did you buy it yet?

There's an OB-8 at $2400 even at Ebay. Way better than 08
haha oh man i wish! no way i could have afforded that though

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolkboy ➑️
alehoe, is their any reason you considered the dsi prophet 08 and tetra, but not the poly evolver?
i actually did consider poly evolver, specially the one that was for sale on here

i didn't go for it because it's technically half the p08 in terms of analog oscillators, and i was basically looking for a sylenth1 replacement

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid ➑️
Have you recorded any demos, Mr. Solaris? (With background & temperature tuning routines disengaged)?
Not yet. Rebuilding studio. A lot of work. Haven't recorded anything for a while.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks - saved me the trouble.

Sometimes you can find a good deal on a used Q+, but it's still in the price range of an Andromeda....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
If you are considering the Virus, then I'd also take a look at this too. Its nuts, and can create some surprisingly good analogue sounds.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh - and the obligatory P08 negativity now. I, personally, thought that the sound wasn't as good as quite a few VA's and softsynths. I really didn't like its sound. I think that it would be worthwhile to save up the extra to get a used Andromeda, rather than get a p08. Just my opinion...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can only say, don't waste your american dollars due to impatience.

The GAS is strong in you but, you must learn to control and master it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I can only say, don't waste your american dollars due to impatience.

The GAS is strong in you but, you must learn to control and master it.
Nothing to do with this thread, but this is EXACTLY what I needed to read right now...Synchronicity.
blowing 3000 bucks on a synth would be awesome but it wouldn't really make sense

im 19 and i don't even have a car
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
blowing 3000 bucks on a synth would be awesome but it wouldn't really make sense

Perhaps... but with a great synth you wouldn't need a car: you'd be flying! heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
Perhaps... but with a great synth you wouldn't need a car: you'd be flying! heh
hahahahaha
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Good, there are two different types of gas in question here, you seem perfectly unequipped in both regards.

You have to decide wether you want a chick that wants a carguy or a synthguy Besides, you can't borrow your dad's OB-8 (which is meager 400 bucks over your budget).
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
i own the virus ti, andromeda, moog voyager, prophet 08, alesis ion and some korg gear.

given your price range, IMO your best bet is the virus ti used. Im not sure if you have initialized some patches and tweaked, or just scrolled thru the factory banks; but it can sound very "analog" depending on the skill of the sound designer. some will disagree, but since i own some of the other synths you mention; im speaking from 1st hand experience. its not the andy or the moog, but since you have a limited budget, you will need to make some comprises or save as others have suggested.

another often overlooked synth is the alesis ion. i picked one up for 375$ and there is nothing that comes close to it in that price range. great assortment of filter types as well.

good luck
Old 14th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
time to go through the recommendations!
[*]akai ax-80 - 6 voices, 6 vcos, noise, good alternative
Just a (late) heads-up for future readers. AX80 is the 8 voice, 16 *DCO* + sub (so 24 osc virtually) monster. The AX60 is 6 VCO/6POLY (and in my opinion doesn't sound as good VCOs or not). If I was looking for a 6 poly single OSC (+sub) VCO synth my vote would go to the POLYSIX everytime which manages to sound far thicker/warmer than it has any right to.

AX80 has managed to sound 'similar' to Some JP8, Some Prophet 5, some minimoog sounds etc. No it's probably not as good as any of them but it's got it's own under-used sound which i like too.

Also about stereo v Mono. I used to worry about that until I realised that the two of the best sound synths in my collection were mono (AX80, POLYSIX). Mono output > mono record/rack > stereo effects where needed sound just as good as built in stereo (plus you save an input on your interface/mixer ). Don't let MONO out put you off, that's only a problem if you are playing the synth with no access to any effects and are playing it through speakers to please yourself rather than using it to record music. In a full mix mono sources are often better anyway. Digital synths (like my SY77) can benefit from being stereo because a lot of their built in features rely on it (mad panning and tone mixing) but for analog it's really not so important, most of that stereo sweetness is a chorus thing on those synths that sound nice on their own.

I also turn off the chorus (most times) and record MONO from my JX-3P which Is stereo and it's easier to mix and finds it's space better. If I want to play around and be inspired I'll use it in stereo perhaps.
gdh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
alehoe, did you ever sell your P08?
yep, I was gonna use the money for a car but circumstances changed and I got a Future Retro XS and now I'm looking for a Juno-106 or something similar

that new Tempest synth is look pretty tasty too..

specially since it doubles as a 6-voice analog/digital synth
πŸ“ Reply