Korg MS-20 MK1/MK2 differences? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg MS-20 MK1/MK2 differences?
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Korg MS-20 MK1/MK2 differences?

Anybody had experience with both?
Looking in to getting one.. everyone seems to hype the MK-1 version.

Also, at what point did the MK2 start? As in serial number.. Have had trouble finding this out.
Old 15th October 2009
Deleted 8456dd3
You can tell the difference between the two with a picture, one has a screw in the vca graphic section, the other doesnt. The one without the screw has the earlier Korg 35 filter, the later ones use the LM13600 IC's, installed on a daughterboard (and screwed to the front panel.. hence the screw difference)
Dont know about serial numbers though..
Ive only ever had the later unit.. they all sound great though man.. just get one!
Old 15th October 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i've got the screw!

i guess i have the MK2. it sounds frigging awesome so i would say: doesn't matter which one you get.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, either rev are completely fantastic. Just get it already!

alexP
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
i've got the screw!

i guess i have the MK2. it sounds frigging awesome so i would say: doesn't matter which one you get.

No. Yours sounds crap.
Sell it on and look for a mk 1
(PM me about your mk 2 won't you though?)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i've got the screw!
No, you got screwed! heh
Old 15th October 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypowell ➑️
Anybody had experience with both?
Looking in to getting one.. everyone seems to hype the MK-1 version.

Also, at what point did the MK2 start? As in serial number.. Have had trouble finding this out.
I have both!

The filters sound quite different, the earlier ones being more aggressive and sort of harsh (in a really good way!), and the later ones smooth and meaty. IME the "MK2" is great for bass, low mid stuff and .. i dunno.. silky, smooth, sweet, mellow, beautiful things. For bad attitude, in your face filter screaming, I'd reach for the "MK1".

If I had to pick one, I'd probably choose the MK2 over the MK1, just because it's a bit more versatile, and the bass you can get out of it is just phenomenal. But really, you can't go wrong with any of them!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Out of interest, did the MS-10 have 2 different revisions?

That and the Rogue were 2 Monos i seriously regret selling.
Old 16th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
Out of interest, did the MS-10 have 2 different revisions?

That and the Rogue were 2 Monos i seriously regret selling.

Im not sure if they actually sound much different, but my MS10 has a modulation button below the pitch wheel, as well as a switch that selects whether the modulation is continuous, or is started by that button... A lot of MS10s I have seen dont have that.....

Dunno if there is a different in sound though!!! May be fun to compare!

alexP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
Im not sure if they actually sound much different, but my MS10 has a modulation button below the pitch wheel, as well as a switch that selects whether the modulation is continuous, or is started by that button... A lot of MS10s I have seen dont have that.....

Dunno if there is a different in sound though!!! May be fun to compare!

alexP
Very interesting alexp! Ive never seen an MS10 with these features.

If you have a camera handy, any chance of a few pics?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have both Mk1 and Mk2. Both are excellent.
If I would have to chose one it would be probably Mk2.

chrissugar
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which one is emulated in the Korg Legacy Collection?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this is interesting info about the second version, about the bass and all..

when i had one arround i didnt bother to look which version it was.. i do recall the filter was agressive, but could get meaty as well. didn't like the osc as much as one some other machines from the period, but overall mangling and routing packed with the external input section, pitch to cv and this filter, was awesome.

so, all the clones out there, the one from MOTM, the Paul Perry's Frostwave Resonator, and some others like Oakley's Journeyman.... they are all clones of the second, LM- version, presumably?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mk2 here..sounds great...
Old 21st October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've got a mkI. Its very harsh (and thus contrasts well with my other synths).

reiterating cluster:
Definitely not my goto synth for bass though. I think this might be because of the oscillators. I seem to recall likeing the bass more when I ran external osc's though it.
Old 21st October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just read that Alan Braxe & Thomas Bangalter used a Trident for the bass in 'Music Sounds Better With You'
Old 27th July 2012
met
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just for the record I just had my second ms20 serviced last week. It has the screw on the centre of the VCA diagram, suggesting a mark 2.. But when opened it has the 35 filter chip set. Serial number is 149337.. The guy who serviced it told me the screw identification method is a myth.. So guess you need to pop the fella open to check for sure.
Old 27th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by met ➑️
Just for the record I just had my second ms20 serviced last week. It has the screw on the centre of the VCA diagram, suggesting a mark 2.. But when opened it has the 35 filter chip set. Serial number is 149337.. The guy who serviced it told me the screw identification method is a myth.. So guess you need to pop the fella open to check for sure.
yup, you can take a peek down the side, you'll either see the korg 35's, or a small circuit board which took it's place in the later revisions.

one way you can know at first glance is if you have the early, light gray colored ms-20. those are always korg 35 AFAIK. I don't know how common they were, but I have one of them.
Old 3rd April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My MS-10 has that 'MOMENTARY' switch on the modular panel and the button under the mod wheel, too - wish my arp axxe had something similar it is hard to get the oscillator to sit still on it i
Old 3rd April 2013
Deleted User
here you go, this is the video where they do a direct comparison

KORG MS-20mini vs. MS-20 vintage - YouTube
Old 3rd April 2013
Deleted User
Both sound good to my ears BUT, the difference seems to be that the Original is Smoother sounding, more "liquid" and the Mini is more exact and direct with more top end.

I love the sound of the OG but I still LIKE the sound of the mini so I'm getting one.
Old 3rd April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman ➑️
Both sound good to my ears BUT, the difference seems to be that the Original is Smoother sounding, more "liquid" and the Mini is more exact and direct with more top end.

I love the sound of the OG but I still LIKE the sound of the mini so I'm getting one.
Btw, this wasn't about the original vs. the new mini version - the latter didn't exist when this thread was created. It's about the two revisions of the original with different filter circuits.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing ➑️
Btw, this wasn't about the original vs. the new mini version - the latter didn't exist when this thread was created. It's about the two revisions of the original with different filter circuits.
this

the only way it applies to the new mini is that the new one uses the MkI filter design
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
this

the only way it applies to the new mini is that the new one uses the MkI filter design
Which creates an interesting situation regarding the value of the original once the Mini is released.

Historically the prices for the originals were roughly the same with a slight edge given to the Korg-35 (mark 1) version as the mark 2 filter design was easier to find -- it was also used in the MS-10. Those who appreciated or needed the difference in the filter sound tended to seek out the mark 1. It was also easier to spot a Korg-35 version, particularly the old 'grey face'.

With the advent of the Mini, and judging by the buzz here and on other forums it looks like the Mark 2 may end up being sought after because it's 'different'.

The differences between these filters are miniscule. Given differences in calibration and 30+ years of ageing components I'd wager the differences are even less marked. Tonetweakers seems to agree as well.

Besides, I think chasing after a minor variation for a slight difference in sound is foolhardy. Everyone should be GAS'ing for this variation:

(and no, I don't give a rats ass which filter variation is in there )
Old 3rd April 2013
Just buy both Rev1 and 2 and be done with it.
Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i've got the screw!

I hope the MK 2 is a really analogue. My mate Trevor says the MK 1 has more analogue goodness than the MK 2. I dearly hope he is wrong.

The only non-analogue I like is the Synthex with DCOs and maybe a PPG Wave 2.3.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNMusicman ➑️

Yes yes yes. My mate said the old one has more of the smooth analogue. Almost tube analogue.
Old 4th April 2013
Funny how people are saying in this thread Rev 2 is more sought after. Not the case. Rev 1 has been going for more and has been the one people look for. Rev 1 is mentioned many times in descriptions as the one people want too.

I don't know where the smooth creamy filter sound description for Rev 1 is coming from either. It has been long known people want Rev 1 because it sound more rough and gritty.
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by met ➑️
Yeah this is true James Walker at SRS told me the same thing when he rebuilt my MK1.
I have since used a MK2 and they are both fantastic. As people have said the MK1 is more aggressive and raw but the 2 has a fuller bottom end. I kept the MK1 due to other kit but either is IMHO one of the best analogue monos out there.
Once you get your head around the patch bay it opens right up. Even more so if you control the patch bay with a multiple out midi to CV like a Pro 4 or SW set up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➑️
I don't know where the smooth creamy filter sound description for Rev 1 is coming from either. It has been long known people want Rev 1 because it sound more rough and gritty.
Haha, more like smooth as glass! It definitely has that cutting-glass sound if you want it to...
πŸ“ Reply