The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the Stromberg still an active project?
Old 12th October 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
NWSooner's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Is the Stromberg still an active project?

Waldorf announced it almost 3 years ago at NAMM 2007. They still have a Stromberg page on their website (Waldorf Music | Stromberg). NovaMusik.com has it as a preorder item (Nova Musik- The Electronic Musician's Wonderland.). (How long has it been that way on their site?)

Anybody know if this is still an active project or have they killed it? Has there been any news about it recently at AES or anything?
Old 12th October 2009
  #2
Gear Addict
 
Screwdio's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ditto
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
From what I've heard, it's been that way since day 1 when it was announced years ago. Not sure why they leave it. Hopefully it will see the light of day though.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Addict
 
e-smile-z's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
it is a hard time for a big synth
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
NWSooner's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-smile-z ➑️
it is a hard time for a big synth
Probably true, but there's still money floating around for good synths even in an economic downturn. Tonight alone I had to bid up over $1800 for a near-pristine rev 4 MKS-80 and the other bidder bought a rev 5 MKS-80 for $1700 two hours later. I see plenty of older stuff sell quickly for really high prices, and not even the typical collector fodder. I imagine plenty of people want to actually make music and the Stromberg sounds like it would be a great product. If Alesis can sell out their Andromedas every 6 months that they churn them out surely Waldorf can sell plenty of Strombergs.
Old 12th October 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner ➑️
Waldorf announced it almost 3 years ago at NAMM 2007. They still have a Stromberg page on their website (Waldorf Music | Stromberg). NovaMusik.com has it as a preorder item (Nova Musik- The Electronic Musician's Wonderland.). (How long has it been that way on their site?)

Anybody know if this is still an active project or have they killed it? Has there been any news about it recently at AES or anything?
I think that Waldorf sees that people do not care so much about big synth and cannot afford them. For example Q+ (actually you rarely see them mentioned in the or even the Waldorf mailing list !!!) are not selling like crazy, people seem to have a clear preference for VIRUS TI, obviously because of the lower price , loads more presets and close integration with VSTs. On the other hand its clear that blofeld has overtaken Snow quite easily for one of the above reason, price.

People are no longer willing to pay a big amount for something that does not offer as much as possible, or at least something unique. VSTs are improving each day, it wont be distant the day that will even be able to compete with true analogues.

I do not see Stromeberg being charged much less than 3000 euros, and because of that , I am less than a believer about its success.

On the other hand Blofleld has been more than a big success for waldorf , if you judge from the fact that they released a VST plugin and SL upgrade which far from classified "cheap" the same can be said about they keyboard version.

Of course big synths do sell , and certainly have a small crowd, but they sell with the Eyedrop. Maybe Waldrof will make Stromberg, who knows, but I think that the average user would prefer a Blofeld on steroids for double price than a Stromberg.

You can clearly see this as in Waldorf mailing list , where even Microwave is far more popular than Q+.

Sorry being the carrier of bad news, but Stromberg is pretty much a vaporware, mostly to bring more attention to Waldorf.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner ➑️
If Alesis can sell out their Andromedas every 6 months that they churn them out surely Waldorf can sell plenty of Strombergs.
Not true. A6's go new for max. $2500. The Q+ sells for more like $4500 USD (2990 euro). So the price of Stromberg will for sure be at least $3k if not more. And I doubt they'd sell that many at such a price when it's not even 100% true analog.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
NWSooner's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpablo ➑️
Not true. A6's go new for max. $2500. The Q+ sells for more like $4500 USD (2990 euro). So the price of Stromberg will for sure be at least $3k if not more. And I doubt they'd sell that many at such a price when it's not even 100% true analog.
Well, when I bought my Andromeda I couldn't find it cheaper than $3k and even that involved being on a waiting list since they only release new batches twice a year. The Stromberg is mostly digital (meaning cheaper for the manufacturer) with some analog elements (filters, etc). It shouldn't be as expensive as the Andromeda which is a 16-voice completely analog synth with digital controls and effects on top.

For that matter, I pre-ordered a Solaris and John Bowen apparently has enough interest that pre-orders are closed and the first batch is going to be produced here before too long.

My point is just that although I believe it's true that "it is a hard time for a big synth" that doesn't mean that it should preclude Waldorf from releasing theirs. The Andromeda is a big expensive hardware synth and they're still selling every one that they make. The Solaris is a big expensive hardware synth and John Bowen apparently has enough people willing to put down almost $4k before even playing one that he can start production. Something like the Stromberg which is likely to have some unique sounds seems like it would sell quite quickly regardless of an economic downturn. It's a big expensive hardware synth that I'd like to add to my arsenal.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner ➑️

The Stromberg is mostly digital (meaning cheaper for the manufacturer) with some analog elements (filters, etc). It shouldn't be as expensive as the Andromeda which is a 16-voice completely analog synth with digital controls and effects on top.
the stromberg is the Q+ mated to a waldorf wave.

the Q+ is $3000 and the wave was $6000 (when discontinued but still new)

what again makes you think the stromberg is gonna be cheaper than 3k?
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
what exactly would the stromberg do that the Blo doesn't already, apart from the analogue filters and extra outs? I just don't see much difference in the specs on waldorf website.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Deleted 0fc8128
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkonkkrete ➑️
what exactly would the stromberg do that the Blo doesn't already, apart from the analogue filters and extra outs? I just don't see much difference in the specs on waldorf website.
It supposed to have all Waveterm/Wave features next to the analog filters and tube amplifiers.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
NWSooner's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int ➑️
the stromberg is the Q+ mated to a waldorf wave.

the Q+ is $3000 and the wave was $6000 (when discontinued but still new)

what again makes you think the stromberg is gonna be cheaper than 3k?
The current specs (which may or may not be correct of course) say that the analog filters and the vacuum tubes are optional modules. So the price range between the base synth and the fully kitted out one may be quite wide. If they ever ship it.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSooner ➑️
Probably true, but there's still money floating around for good synths even in an economic downturn.
The thing is that those MKSes will only get more rare and older, while the Stromberg is new, and you'll probably have a few folks being (rightfully) wary of an 1.0 version.

While they might've learned a lot with the Q (which only got really great when 3.0 came out) I think there are still a few niggles on the list of the Blofeld left that have to be solved.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
droolmaster0's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The new Q+ was only available in very limited qualities, and from what I could tell, generally sold out quality wherever/whenever it appeared. Did you just make that up? As far as "people" having a clear preference for the Virus - you sure about that? I'm sure some people do, but there are a lot of people who do not. Obviously more people can buy cheaper synths, so I'm not sure how what you're saying has much relevance at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon ➑️
I think that Waldorf sees that people do not care so much about big synth and cannot afford them. For example Q+ (actually you rarely see them mentioned in the or even the Waldorf mailing list !!!) are not selling like crazy, people seem to have a clear preference for VIRUS TI, obviously because of the lower price , loads more presets and close integration with VSTs. On the other hand its clear that blofeld has overtaken Snow quite easily for one of the above reason, price.

People are no longer willing to pay a big amount for something that does not offer as much as possible, or at least something unique. VSTs are improving each day, it wont be distant the day that will even be able to compete with true analogues.

I do not see Stromeberg being charged much less than 3000 euros, and because of that , I am less than a believer about its success.

On the other hand Blofleld has been more than a big success for waldorf , if you judge from the fact that they released a VST plugin and SL upgrade which far from classified "cheap" the same can be said about they keyboard version.

Of course big synths do sell , and certainly have a small crowd, but they sell with the Eyedrop. Maybe Waldrof will make Stromberg, who knows, but I think that the average user would prefer a Blofeld on steroids for double price than a Stromberg.

You can clearly see this as in Waldorf mailing list , where even Microwave is far more popular than Q+.

Sorry being the carrier of bad news, but Stromberg is pretty much a vaporware, mostly to bring more attention to Waldorf.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 ➑️
The new Q+ was only available in very limited qualities, and from what I could tell, generally sold out quality wherever/whenever it appeared. Did you just make that up? As far as "people" having a clear preference for the Virus - you sure about that? I'm sure some people do, but there are a lot of people who do not. Obviously more people can buy cheaper synths, so I'm not sure how what you're saying has much relevance at all.
I think what he and others are saying is that Waldorf would have a hard time selling enough Strombergs if they're $3500-4000 USD to make it a profitable business. Trust me, if they didn't have Blofeld they wouldn't even be able to produce Q+ Phoenix for the few who can afford it and would still be broke-ed-y broke.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 ➑️
The new Q+ was only available in very limited qualities, and from what I could tell, generally sold out quality wherever/whenever it appeared. Did you just make that up? As far as "people" having a clear preference for the Virus - you sure about that? I'm sure some people do, but there are a lot of people who do not. Obviously more people can buy cheaper synths, so I'm not sure how what you're saying has much relevance at all.
Yes I am sure, just ask around.

Are you asking me if I believe that Q+ is btter than Virus or vice versa. I would say that both synths share their pros and cons. But I do believe that TI is pretty essential for most people as much as availability of presets.

Personaly I am torn between the two. But I would probably chose Virus... I love the looks of polar.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
droolmaster0's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpablo ➑️
I think what he and others are saying is that Waldorf would have a hard time selling enough Strombergs if they're $3500-4000 USD to make it a profitable business. Trust me, if they didn't have Blofeld they wouldn't even be able to produce Q+ Phoenix for the few who can afford it and would still be broke-ed-y broke.
I understand what is being said in general, but I think that the comments about the Q+ were kind of off....
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
As someone who recently had both a Q+ and a Virus TI 2 keyboard in the studio, I can say I like them both and if I had the cash, I'd keep them both. However, as I can only afford to keep one I'm taking the Virus TI because it can sound very Q-like as well as do many things the Q can't, plus it has a nicer key action, the plug-in possibility is cool, and Access continue to support/develop the product whereas Waldorf don't. So here's one person who appreciates both, but in the end prefers the Virus over the Q+
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
droolmaster0's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilon ➑️
Yes I am sure, just ask around.
Did you really just say that? By, god, I think you did.

Quote:
Are you asking me if I believe that Q+ is btter than Virus or vice versa. I would say that both synths share their pros and cons. But I do believe that TI is pretty essential for most people as much as availability of presets.
No, I'm not asking you.

Quote:
Personaly I am torn between the two. But I would probably chose Virus... I love the looks of polar.
Old 12th October 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
kilon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
take me to your leader ... humanz.....
Old 1st June 2010 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
The saga continues...;.)
Old 1st June 2010 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Kind of an old thread, but it's hard
to gauge whether this would be
successful...

On one hand, you have people
buying Buchla in (it seems) greater
numbers than ever. Prices for the
Sunsyn are rising and people are still
looking desperately.

On the other hand, the Hartmann
Neuron didn't fare well.

I'm aware that all these offer different
types of synthesis, but they do have
a "niche + high-end" customer in mind.
They share a playing field more than
the majority of other keyboards/software.

Personally, based on SPECS alone, it
doesn't do much for me. But I thought
the same of the Spectralis 2 when I read
about it. Over time, I've come to desire
one.

Hell, I even played a Sunsyn at Guitar
Center when it first came out and thought
"meh". But that's when I was very young
and uneducated and wanted everything to
sound like a 303.
Old 3rd September 2010 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Maniac
 
EMP3's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The Stromberg seems to have been removed from their web site.
NEWS
Old 3rd September 2010 | Show parent
  #24
Old 10th November 2011 | Show parent
  #25
Here for the gear
 
rustnever's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Here's a quote from Karsten Dubsch, one of the Waldorf crew, posted half an hour ago on our Blofeld facebook group:
Quote:
There are rumours, that a Stromberg was discovered... If you find him, I will get one, too! NOOOOOO, this is a rumour!!! ;-)
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
So, is it coming or what ?
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustnever ➑️
Here's a quote from Karsten Dubsch, one of the Waldorf crew, posted half an hour ago on our Blofeld facebook group:

"There are rumours, that a Stromberg was discovered... If you find him, I will get one, too! NOOOOOO, this is a rumour!!! ;-)"
Can you please translate that statement into English for me? And if it's nothing, shame on you for stirring up more Stromberg lust after everyone has come to peace with the fact that we will never be able to lay our hands on one!
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
  #28
Here for the gear
 
rustnever's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizness80 ➑️
Can you please translate that statement into English for me? And if it's nothing, shame on you for stirring up more Stromberg lust after everyone has come to peace with the fact that we will never be able to lay our hands on one!
I have absolutely no idea what he's on about
As I say he had recently started to frequent the blofeld user page on facebook, handing out advice. I think he is legit as his name appears on the staff list.
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Trying very hard not to let myself get excited about this.
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
What I dont understand is how a blofeld can cost 500 dollars? Is the physical interface THAT expensive to produce? (knobs n ****)
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 20413 views: 6278159
Avatar for Avantmidi
Avantmidi 4 days ago
replies: 55 views: 6035
Avatar for Skallawa
Skallawa 7th May 2009
replies: 875 views: 96251
Avatar for sentokan
sentokan 1 week ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump