The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg DW-8000 or Juno 106
Old 30th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz ➡️
My memory of these guys side by side is from as long ago as the units themselves, but in my memory it was the Juno all the way for ease of use and sounds - I love Korg gear, but I've got to say the Juno hands down IMHO.
Yeah the immediacy is what attracts me to it. Korg always has this quirkiness I really like on one hand but it also gets in the way at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic ➡️
It sounds to me like you've made a decision already !!..but if you can swing it to hold onto the DW8000 for a bit whilst you get to grips with the 106..I would.
Good luck
Well I guess I have, the only thing really stopping me is potential issues with 106s - so far no one has shouted "for God's sake don't do it!" so maybe it's not so bad heh

Well I'd be looking to use the DW to partially fund a Juno, I wouldn't have anywhere to keep it anyway really. I won't be making a move quite right now anyway so I'll have a bit of time to think about it

Thanks all so far.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thread made me plug in my DW8000 that has been hanging around neglected for awhile. I just sold my EX8000. I created a percussive patch with almost DX sounding bells and then routed it to the delay section and that reulsted in a very complex sound that has an eerie and slow pitch modulating character. I jammed with the Polaris that's underneath it using a sound that has slow evlolving qualities and a nice bite and a decent release. used a generic sound on the JD800 at the very bottom of the rack (Queens) muted piano thing that I played as a motif arp over the other two sounds. Two hours passed at which point I said to myself...self.....this is why you will not sell your DW8000. I paid $200 for it a few years ago. I have an MKS80, I'v had the Juno60. This thing is a much different flavor. It won't do MKS80, but it does DW8000 very well.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Juno 106 FTW!

Last edited by Pro5; 27th June 2015 at 05:40 PM..
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It certainly has a unique sound, and does a lot of things very well. Ideally I'd have both but haven't enough space unfortunately.

I make funk based music in various styles, and I have the feeling that the "classic polysynth" sound that the Juno produces might fit me a bit better.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➡️
FWIW I use a remote zero sl (Mk1 2 LCDS) with my JX-3P (Organix modded to allow midi control outside of the PG-200) and it works great with the LCDs. I Used a BCR with the DW-8000 I had a couple of years back too.

DW is way more interesting as a synth, but I can understand the lust for a simpler fully hands on synth also - only you can decide if it's worth it, if you desire it and need that itch scratching then do it - you can always resell it and not lose money on it if you decide it's too boring (as I always did with my Junos) after 6+ months of getting over the nice sound.

However, if I had the DW and Juno 106 (always said it was probably my least favourite Juno) in front of me today, knowing what I know now - Id go with the one that inspired me more, felt like more fun and was easier to just reach out and tweak + had a basic good sound quality. Which one does that sound like to you?

Sound wise I enjoyed the DW's chunky/aggressive analog filter BUT I wasn't too keen on it's digital oscs as it gave the synth a kinda coated feel, like some weird VA hybrid - I find my JD-800 can do some similar things (not quite as beefy) but with a much wider sweet spot and in some ways nicer filter (not as chunky but smooth and more expensive sounding), I think my AN1x also covered similar grounds (only similar - nothing got exactly like the DW but then I wasn't THAT into the sound in the end and sold it)

I think the extra $$$ for the control panel and the analog DCOs in the 106 is worth it to some degree, but 106s are a bit overpriced considering how flaky they are.

As someone said above keep both until you decide, don't get rid of the DW until you are certain the Juno is all you'd hoped it'd be.
That's sound advice. Suppose I could always chuck the DW in the loft for a bit! I certainly won't be paying over the odds for a 106 as I'd probably have to end up having it serviced at some point.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
106!

Last edited by Pro5; 27th June 2015 at 05:41 PM..
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I make funk based music in various styles, and I have the feeling that the "classic polysynth" sound that the Juno produces might fit me a bit better.
More so the immediacy and sweet spot/live tweaking of the 3 early junos may suit that better, and the sound is none to shabby either (just don't expect a deep synth or uncharted new sounds and you'll be happy).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I liked the Juno 60 I had, but couldn't justify keeping it for the money they go for (£1k now) so I sold it without (much) regret, I do prefer the 60 over the 106 myself but that aside, if you put a Juno 60 (or even 106 without voice problems) and a DW8k in front of me and told me I could have either for free but could never sell them (so price/value wasn't relevant) - these days I'd chose the Juno 60 and just have fun/make music (instead of worrying about 'better spec' or more features).

Sound comes first and Junos rarely have a bad sound (if a little limited) while the DW had it's highlights I wasn't entirely happy with the overall tone in the long run. so =

If money and bang-for-buck are more important then DW is a much better bargain/sensible choice and can do plenty of stuff anyway.
I'm not bothered about what board is supposed to havebetter specs or what's the better bargain really. I think that any early Juno would certainly be more limited but I've really moved away from sitting in front of a synth for half an hour programming a sound. I used to have lots of VAs and stuff and now I have mostly ROMplers actually, I don't make just synth based music anymore - it's just another instrument in the mix. Having said that I love sitting down, throwing some knobs around for a minute and coming up with the exact sound I want - something that I find a touch less intuitive on something like my DW. I'd rather have a good basic tone and a decent amount of useful options than a tonne of features I'm never going to use. I personally prefer the slightly plasticky sound of the 106 over the 60 actually, and it has midi. The 6 is useless imo without preset memory.

Quote:
More so the immediacy and sweet spot/live tweaking of the 3 early junos may suit that better, and the sound is none to shabby either (just don't expect a deep synth or uncharted new sounds and you'll be happy).
Yeah that's exactly it actually heh
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well the Korg has gone, but I've replaced it with a DX7 heh - still want a Juno 106 at some point but couldn't resist the DX for cheap (always wanted to try one), plus I also want a JDXi so gotta watch the spendings for a bit! Keeps things interesting
Old 27th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm ➡️
still want a Juno 106 at some point...
I've been using one the past week or so (borrowed initially but intending to buy from a friend as it's proved very useful and I love its sound - am giving it another week then he can have the cash - voice chips are ok, it's mint, original box/manual etc and I'll pre-emptively fix the voice chips soon) Ignore what I previously said about it. It's excellent, I prefer it to the 6/60 I had (and the korg DW and even the JX-3P which I was fantical about for years) - and I see why it's so highly rated now, forget the A/B tests, it's when you use it properly in music it shows why its so effortlessly good and inspiring.

Those who may not have liked the Juno 6/60 or even the Alphas and write them all off as samey and not their thing, may just find the 106 is a little different and feels different in use. I know I'm feeling the 106 in a much more positive way than I did the other junos (which to be clear I DID like all of them, even the alphas, for some things but none of them blew me away with overall sound/feel like the 106 has)
Old 4th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Altitude909;4461101]

They can sound good (Moog) or like crap (SCI sixtrak)

Well, loll maybe you should give the Six-Trak a try once your ears are fixed. Nothing personnal but a Six-Trak is really powerfull if you dare getting rid of the presets and create your own sounds. I do have much more expensives vintage synths and my Six-Trak End up on most of my prods when my moogs don't so theres really no need to bash a great little synth i believe. I don't get it when i read all these comments. The music style the guy makes, should always be taken fisrt as a matter of taste. We should size the question first and then answer accordingly.

Btw for hip hop, a classic sampler is a first choice and then a rompler like a motif or a triton. After comes the synth and when you are there, ask yourself if you will buy only one, because your choice will be very different depending on the answer to this question i think.

Cheers!
Old 4th June 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
DW since the Juno has been Done to Death!

Otherwise, unleash your inner slut and get both.
Old 13th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer ➡️
The DW is going to be more versatile but will be as friendly in programming as an Alpha Juno or JX8P. IMHO, the 106 is slightly overpriced.

The 106 is popular because it was cheap, ubiquitous, and loaded with sliders - and unlike the 60 it could do MIDI, too. It's a "my first analog" for a lot of people. Not only has a DW the slider + parameter programming, it's also a hybrid with its sampled oscillators, which puts it on a lower rung of the pecking order than a DCO synth.
NOT TRUE

It's oscillators create waves by digital means, but they are NOT samples and the DW8000 is NOT a Rompler, nor is it V.A

These are unique oscillators, there's nothing like them on the market today, you may or may not like them but this is a unique synth, won't sound nearly as good as a 106 but is FAR more playable and versitile with velocity, programable aftertouch, sequencer ect.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've been using one the past week or so (borrowed initially but intending to buy from a friend as it's proved very useful and I love its sound - am giving it another week then he can have the cash - voice chips are ok, it's mint, original box/manual etc and I'll pre-emptively fix the voice chips soon) Ignore what I previously said about it. It's excellent, I prefer it to the 6/60 I had (and the korg DW and even the JX-3P which I was fantical about for years) - and I see why it's so highly rated now, forget the A/B tests, it's when you use it properly in music it shows why its so effortlessly good and inspiring.

Those who may not have liked the Juno 6/60 or even the Alphas and write them all off as samey and not their thing, may just find the 106 is a little different and feels different in use. I know I'm feeling the 106 in a much more positive way than I did the other junos (which to be clear I DID like all of them, even the alphas, for some things but none of them blew me away with overall sound/feel like the 106 has)
Due to its popularity, it was cool to hate on the 106 for a long time, but it just sounds great.

Thank god the prices are falling back to normal, you can get one for $500 again

I knew it was only a matter of time before all these new analogs brought the vintage market back to sane prices

Why is some kid going to drop $1000 on a 106 when he can get a Minilogue for $500 and do twice as much with it?
Old 13th June 2017
Deleted User
I loved my dw6000 because of the njm2069 filter. I am sure the 8000 has a nice vintage tone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee ➡️
NOT TRUE

It's oscillators create waves by digital means, but they are NOT samples and the DW8000 is NOT a Rompler, nor is it V.A

These are unique oscillators, there's nothing like them on the market today, you may or may not like them but this is a unique synth, won't sound nearly as good as a 106 but is FAR more playable and versitile with velocity, programable aftertouch, sequencer ect.
They oscillators are ROM 'samples.' Free running single cycle samples, maybe, but still samples. Some people are into the sound of the DW series. I'm not one of them, I think they sound kinda dreadful. Not in a way so much if you just listen on it's own, but relative to anything else they are flat and plastic. Not very programmable either. Which would be ok if it were all sweet spots, but that's not the case. The filter implementation is not nearly as good as in the DSS-1. Despite it's size, that's the only korg hybrid I could recommend.

The 106 is kinda vanilla, but it does do a few sounds rather well. I wouldn't get either of them. But prefer the juno.

When people say vintage tone, I imagine minimoog, 2600, korg 700, yamaha CS. DW series sounds nothing like these at all. Vintage in the DW case means flat and low harmonic content.
Old 13th June 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The Juno 106 is one of the most classic synths of all time. Tons of real time control and an iconic sound. If you are looking for your first real synth than look no further. If you have a bunch of analog synths are looking to expand you palate of sounds the DW might be a decent choice. The 106 will definitely be more expensive but it will be worth it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
These are unique oscillators, there's nothing like them on the market today...
The King Korg has the DWGS from the 8000 (and many more of them)
Old 14th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon ➡️
The King Korg has the DWGS from the 8000 (and many more of them)
so does the microkorg and the r3.
but they all lack this fantastic filter.
Old 14th June 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➡️
This thread made me plug in my DW8000 that has been hanging around neglected for awhile. I just sold my EX8000. I created a percussive patch with almost DX sounding bells and then routed it to the delay section and that reulsted in a very complex sound that has an eerie and slow pitch modulating character. I jammed with the Polaris that's underneath it using a sound that has slow evlolving qualities and a nice bite and a decent release. used a generic sound on the JD800 at the very bottom of the rack (Queens) muted piano thing that I played as a motif arp over the other two sounds. Two hours passed at which point I said to myself...self.....this is why you will not sell your DW8000. I paid $200 for it a few years ago. I have an MKS80, I'v had the Juno60. This thing is a much different flavor. It won't do MKS80, but it does DW8000 very well.
audio or it didn't happen
Old 16th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Due to its popularity, it was cool to hate on the 106 for a long time, but it just sounds great.

Thank god the prices are falling back to normal, you can get one for $500 again

I knew it was only a matter of time before all these new analogs brought the vintage market back to sane prices

Why is some kid going to drop $1000 on a 106 when he can get a Minilogue for $500 and do twice as much with it?

Where can you find a 106 for 500??? Ill take 2!
📝 Reply