Quantcast
Prophet 5 vs Prophet 08 PE - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 5 vs Prophet 08 PE
Old 28th July 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Prophet 5 vs Prophet 08 PE

Does anyone (hopefully a Prophet 5 and Prophet 08 owner) know how close Prophet 5 patches can be programmed on a Prophet 08.

I have a Prophet 5 rev 3.3 and I was think about getting a Prophet 08 PE. The main reason I would only buy a Prophet 08 if I could re-create many (or All...if possible) the Prophet 5 patches on the Prophet 08.

I realize that I would have to manually build the patch on the Prophet 08...but if it were possible....how close would the sounds be between the two synths?

Again, I realize that the Prophet 08 has lots more features (i.e. arppegtiator, etc) But, it seems like the only parameter differences between the Prophet 5 and the Prophet 08 is that the POLY MOD section is omitted from the Prophet 08. And it is my understanding that there is 3rd LFO section on the Prophet 08 that mimics that of the POLY MOD (is that correct?) Besides that, seems like all the other parameters from the Prophet 5 should "transfer" to the Prophet 08 quite similarily....I hope.

Thanks,
Old 28th July 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineejoel ➑️
Does anyone (hopefully a Prophet 5 and Prophet 08 owner) know how close Prophet 5 patches can be programmed on a Prophet 08.

I have a Prophet 5 rev 3.3 and I was think about getting a Prophet 08 PE. The main reason I would only buy a Prophet 08 if I could re-create many (or All...if possible) the Prophet 5 patches on the Prophet 08.

I realize that I would have to manually build the patch on the Prophet 08...but if it were possible....how close would the sounds be between the two synths?

Again, I realize that the Prophet 08 has lots more features (i.e. arppegtiator, etc) But, it seems like the only parameter differences between the Prophet 5 and the Prophet 08 is that the POLY MOD section is omitted from the Prophet 08. And it is my understanding that there is 3rd LFO section on the Prophet 08 that mimics that of the POLY MOD (is that correct?) Besides that, seems like all the other parameters from the Prophet 5 should "transfer" to the Prophet 08 quite similarily....I hope.

Thanks,
As a former P5 owner and current Po8 rack owner
I think you can come very close to the P5 sounds.
The big difference is the P5 has vco's and the 08 has dco's so you get a bit of that analog realness everyone loves in the P5.
That said P08 still sounds great and offers more flexible programming.
It has a stack mode and you can run simultaneous 2 pole-4pole filters.Reduces the polyphony to 4 voices but offers some great stacked patches the P5 never did.
And yes envelope 3 i believe allows quite a number of mod sources that are similar to the way the mod section works on the P5.
Dont forget the step sequencer and the arpeggiator the p5 never had.
My 2 cents!Po8 goes well with my virus and minimoog model d.
Good luck and you wont be disappointed if you spring for a Po8 pe.New encoders are nice.

Dan P
Old 28th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p ➑️
As a former P5 owner and current Po8 rack owner
I think you can come very close to the P5 sounds.
The big difference is the P5 has vco's and the 08 has dco's so you get a bit of that analog realness everyone loves in the P5.
That said P08 still sounds great and offers more flexible programming.
It has a stack mode and you can run simultaneous 2 pole-4pole filters.Reduces the polyphony to 4 voices but offers some great stacked patches the P5 never did.
And yes envelope 3 i believe allows quite a number of mod sources that are similar to the way the mod section works on the P5.
Dont forget the step sequencer and the arpeggiator the p5 never had.
My 2 cents!Po8 goes well with my virus and minimoog model d.
Good luck and you wont be disappointed if you spring for a Po8 pe.New encoders are nice.

Dan P
I agree with this from a functional standpoint. However if you are going to drop that kind of money you need to consider what the value will be 5 or 10 years down the road. I was faced with the same desicion two years ago and bought a P5. It is now worth considerabley more than I paid for it.
I do not think that can be said for a p08 or most new peices of kit for that matter. I would buy software and a nice computer before I would spend 1500 or more on an OK hardware synth. Or for that 1500 you could buy a Juno 106 a Mopho and a couple of nice guitar pedals to process them with.
This is just my opinion but there is no way I would spend a lot of cash on an OK synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Of course, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Mine is that the Prophet 08 PE is much more than "an OK synth". Soundwise, is very capable and flexible. Quality-wise it may not be on par with a moog voyager, but it's no Korg or Roland, either. There's no reason why a P08PE shouldn't last 10 or 20 years, if taken care of.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did hundreds of concerts with my P5 back in the 80's and i had an anvil case for it.
Biggest problem was breaking contacts.After payin for that a couple of times i started doing it myself.Saved money that way.
I think i lost the programs once and had to reprogram all of the presets.
P08 sits in the studio 99% of the time and live i'd prefer the Po8PE edition.

Dan P
Old 29th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If you find good P5 and have money for it, than no-brainer.
You'll not regret having good P5 (I have P08, too).
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for everyone's replies..... but, not really asking what a Prophet 08 will be worth in 5 years.

I'm just trying to find out how close I can program Prophet 5 patches to a Prophet 08.

I really love my P5....but would love to incorporate all the new performance features of P08 (i.e. 8 voices; velocity; aftertouch; arpeggiator; sequencer; Midi features...and so and so on).

Or, if I really want to stay closer to the original Sequential sound, maybe I should think about trying to find a Prophet-T8? Or is that a bad idea?

Thanks,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I haven't played a vintage prophet in years. But I thought that the sound of the p08 was simply awful. I suppose that, like a softsynth, it can be programmed to sound something like the original, but I don't think that the p08 has any guts to the sound at all. I was simply horrified at the way that the thing sounded.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
the first time i ve played the p8 in the store i was really disapointed...but after reading more and more about i return to the store and test it again started tweaking and creating owen patches and i felt in luv!!and im getting the desktop version till christmas
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-smile-z ➑️
the first time i ve played the p8 in the store i was really disapointed...but after reading more and more about i return to the store and test it again started tweaking and creating owen patches and i felt in luv!!and im getting the desktop version till christmas
i read that often that P08 preset are not good but that when you make your own sound its really good...
of course the most smart for DSI would have been to make preset like well known Prophet 5 to sell tons of P08... why they didnt do that i wonder...

By the way there is also the ASB P12... wich some say is exact replica of the Prophet 5 sound but with 12 voices... its a Virtual Analog but... they use shark dsp just for 12 voices so maybe?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromatronic ➑️
i read that often that P08 preset are not good but that when you make your own sound its really good...
of course the most smart for DSI would have been to make preset like well known Prophet 5 to sell tons of P08... why they didnt do that i wonder...

By the way there is also the ASB P12... wich some say is exact replica of the Prophet 5 sound but with 12 voices... its a Virtual Analog but... they use shark dsp just for 12 voices so maybe?
P08 wasn't built as a Prophet 5 clone..Dave Smith has stated that. Its a modern follower of the Prophet line...a modern analog synth with the general prophet character on it, but not a P5 clone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromatronic ➑️
There's a P08 bank at Dave Smith's site that replicates some of the P5 patches:

Dave Smith Instruments. Prophet '08 Programs, Manuals, Downloads.

I have no clue how accurate they are, though.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I still have some P'08 sound demos on my amateurish hp:

Prophet '08
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 ➑️
... I thought that the sound of the p08 was simply awful. I suppose that, like a softsynth, it can be programmed to sound something like the original, but I don't think that the p08 has any guts to the sound at all. I was simply horrified at the way that the thing sounded.
I guess to each his own. Personally, I really dig the sound of the P'08, especially after pairing it up with a Fishman Chorus pedal. I think in the context of the types of tracks I make, and compared to the stuff I typically listen to, the P'08 works really well. I've always been a fan of the P5, but never an owner, and hoped the P'08 would get me enough of the way there w/o the expense and maintenance issues of an original. So far I'm not disappointed.

I also find it interesting that every time someone wants to dump on a particular synth they don't like, they feel compelled to compare it to a softsynth. I've had a hybrid studio for many years, with analog, DCO, digital, software, hardware, cheap gear, expensive gear, and whatever else I could get my hands on that I thought I needed or can use -- as I'm sure many/most folks around here do -- and have found places in productions for any/all. Each has their own flavor and quirks, but none are, in reality, any better or worse from a production standpoint for me. Even the freebies and the iPhone apps are *miles* beyond the gear I started out with.
Old 1st August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The P08 is a beautiful sounding synth. Warm, bright analoguey, and juicy. I love it, and as ive said many times already it stands up next to the classics. Those that dont rate it are welcome to their opinions but i totally disagree with them. I own several analogues and the P08 is up there with the best of them.

I couldnt be happier with my purchase.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
The P08 is a beautiful sounding synth. Warm, bright analoguey, and juicy. I love it, and as ive said many times already it stands up next to the classics. Those that dont rate it are welcome to their opinions but i totally disagree with them. I own several analogues and the P08 is up there with the best of them.

I couldnt be happier with my purchase.
I share all your sentiments.
For some reason there are your naysayers around here.
Roll your own sounds is the key to the P08!

Dan P
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p ➑️
I share all your sentiments.
For some reason there are your naysayers around here.
Roll your own sounds is the key to the P08!

Dan P
Believe it or not, there are naysayers who roll their own sounds. There is no right or wrong here, but I think that the p08 sounds very, very far from vintage. I didn't hear any guts to the sound at all. I'd much rather have liked it, since I got one of the signature models at a pretty crazy price.

I'm always amused by the fact that defenders of this synth always try to excuse the dissenters by implying that they only use presets, or are lousy programmers, etc. I've certainly encountered some very expert users who just didn't like the sound of this thing. I don't consider myself an expert, but after a point you're up against the basic sound of an instrument, and that's that.

In any case - it's good that people like it.
Old 2nd August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Believe it or not, there are naysayers who roll their own sounds. There is no right or wrong here, but I think that the p08 sounds very, very far from vintage. I didn't hear any guts to the sound at all. I'd much rather have liked it, since I got one of the signature models at a pretty crazy price.

I'm always amused by the fact that defenders of this synth always try to excuse the dissenters by implying that they only use presets, or are lousy programmers, etc. I've certainly encountered some very expert users who just didn't like the sound of this thing. I don't consider myself an expert, but after a point you're up against the basic sound of an instrument, and that's that.

I'm not defending the P08,i just notice there are folks who dont like its sound.You are one of them who dont like it and I do.
I'm ok with that.

Dan P
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I had the P08 rack for a while and ... meh. And yes, I program all my own sounds. Unison is big letdown. Sounds like a Juno 106 is unison (ie - bad) - I suppose it is the DCO's. Do not expect huge detuned sounds. Instead you get a phasy disappointment.

Also, read up on the encoders. Mine got to be horrible. Likely 50% of the reason for the Pot edition. I always read it had bad knobs but didn't realize people meant the encoders become jumpy or unusable. I thought they just mean cheap-ish (which I could live with). I eventually could not turn some of the knobs at all due to the problem.

I ended up getting the mopho which gives me more what I liked best bout the P08 - mono leads and basses. The P08 is not a bad synth per se, just not the analog dream machine I'd hoped for.

Also, arp was a big disappointment. Can't remember the details but I think you cannot give it an octive range and other common features. Not even sound related but just added to my disappointment.
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:

I couldn't care less about the P08 sounding vintage. I just love the way it sounds. It has warmth and presence.
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️

Has anyone downloaded these patches to see how authentic they are?

thanks,
Old 19th August 2009 | Show parent
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really like the sound of the P08, but I thought it really shines doing non vintage style sounds. I think the basic character of the oscillators doesn't really lend itself to vintage emulation so well. Maybe one could get close, with clever programming. I really like some sharp sizzling leads of the P08, which I've never heard a P5 or P1 come close to.

Even though I really like what the P08 can do, I don't think its so good for the really gutsy sounds of the P5 or P1. I've never owned a Prophet, and never had new/old side by side, either.

Anyway, just an opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Prophet 08 can do modern, vintage and future no problem. And it packs a huge sonic punch. Thats in direct comparison to a P5, a memorymoog, new moogs etc.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think it sounds PRETTY good and PRETTY close to an older prophet.
If you wanted to gig your P5 sounds but didn't want to risk taking it out of the studio, I would imagine the P08 would do a great job. Albeit much brighter.

I love the idea of all these new DSI synths but I think what actually stops me buying one is the envelopes. They just sound terrible to my ears. Are the envelopes digital or digitally controlled or something...?
Maybe it's that which stops me being able to compare them to "the classics".
The DCO's probably don't help either...

I was so won over with the idea of the Tetra but as much as I want to - I just can't get into that sound... that box could make my life so much easier
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️

Could someone who is familiar with the sound of the Prophet 5 and who also owns a Prophet 08, could you please download this bank of patches into your Prophet 08 and report back with your conclusions.

Thanks,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Envelopes? Plasticky? Cant get the vintage sound?

What a load of rubbish,

Whilst you guys are procrastinating the life outta the P08 im making tracks like never before.

The sound is DOPE!
The envelopes snap.
Its well built.
It can get the vintage P5 sound.
Deleted 46dc28f
I haven't had a chance to try the Prophet 5 patches but as far as vintage goes, it's got the Tom Sawyer OB-X sound nailed. I love the Little Phatty to bits, but I can't imagine why Geddy Lee is still using it for this.
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is there any good online demo material of the P08 doing vintage style sounds? I'd like to hear that, as it is a synth I'm interested in.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
Envelopes? Plasticky?
The envelopes snap.
I don't think anyone mentioned "plasticky" but you Dan... some kind of freudian slip perhaps ;-)

But yes, I agree the envelopes do indeed "snap"... That's just not to my taste. And not especially "vintage" sounding to my ears.

As I said, my nerves and wallet wish I could get into these boards but I'll just have to send the OBXa for ANOTHER service instead...

Now, if Tom Oberheim were to reissue the 4-voice with those new SEM's... THAT I would be interested in...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In the end, the P08 is analog, a new kind of analog, not the 70s and 80s analog. Anyone can hear and see that older Prophets don't sound like the newer ones. Dave has said this also in a round about way. What's matters since it is analog, is that you enjoy using it and the sound you create. Newer analog gear often times have a different and cleaner analog tone. I think this is one of them, but I actually like it. Analogs, even old ones, will always be subjective to the user. Some people like old Moogs, some old Rolands, others Yamaha CS, it's just different flavors that the user has a bonding to. (I've never owned or used a P-5, but have a P600.) Newer analogs are the same way, different flavors, not bad vs good, just different so you can choose between variations.
πŸ“ Reply