The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg DW-8000
Old 28th May 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Korg DW-8000

I have a chance to purchase one of these and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their opinion on it.

Thanks
Old 28th May 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pretty good. Digital waveforms with some grunt (compared with say the ESQ1), characterful Korg filters, spacey delay, good arp. These hybrids are bargains at the moment.
Old 28th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Very analogue sounding. Digital wavetable oscillators, but with musical fundamental waveforms. And all the rest is analogue.

- rake -
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Under-rated here and elsewhere. Much better to me than far more hyped peers of the early-mid 80s like Junos, JXs, digital Yamahas, etc. because it sounds quite warm, lush and organic while also able to render good digital tones and has the built-in F/X. Alot can be done just using this. Well worth the investment if the price is reasonable.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Spectacular machine. I still cry myself to sleep sometimes thinking about how I was stupid enough to sell my DW-8000 for an MS2000 back in the day. The strings alone were... *sniffles* just beautiful!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Does $200 US sound reasonable for it?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputrelo ➑️

Very reasonable. Buy it now. Just leave your computer and everything you're doing this second and go get it. What are you still reading here for? GO!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

That's value for money. Check all the keys and all the buttons work. My friend had one with very intermittent key contacts.
Old 29th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
very good synth
I love it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I never liked it for strings and the key action was really noisy and clunky.

However, it was tits for spacey drones where the filter self-oscillates and the delay is cranked. It was sonic bliss for that. It could get fairly ballsy with unison mode, too.

One thing you might look out for would be whether or not the buttons stick when pressed. I ran into that with both DW8000s I've had in the past. If I had the extra cash, I'd be tempted just to pick one up for the drones and trigger it via MIDI.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
is it local? Last I checked, $200 was about going rate, maybe a little better (couple years since I looked). If it's not something you have to jump on now, you might consider the more convenient EX8000 (rack mountable) or the less-convenient-but-better-sounding DSS1, which goes stupid cheap for what it does (basically a DW8000, with lots of extra features and a couple significant drawbacks...).

The DW8000 seemed to me to be a bit of a 'wistful' synth I guess... but I love that mood.... great sounding noise too (and you can control the volume inside with a knob IIRC... maybe that's just the EX8000... this helps with some kinds of sounds).... It's a very clear-sounding synth too unless you dirty it up, lending some to say it sounds too digital, but the filter sounds great and is clearly analog.
Old 30th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma ➑️
or the less-convenient-but-better-sounding DSS1, which goes stupid cheap for what it does (basically a DW8000, with lots of extra features and a couple significant drawbacks...).
Agreed on all accounts. It sounds spectacular (switchable 12/db 24/db filter) has some sweet features (sampling, waveform drawing) and was the biggest pain in the ass to use.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, its local. I will probably be getting it on Sunday. Can't wait. Thanks for the input all
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i had EX8000. the analogue filter, and effect on board are really nice. but in the end it wasn't my cup of tea. arhitecture n mod routing is sorta limited compared to its peers from oberheim/roland. absence of any type of fm/xmod etc.

for analougeness of that type, i much preferred the Roland DCOs like JX ie. MKS70. warmer, and w wider bandwith. otoh for hybrid stuff, again i liked the gritty ESQ-1 and Microwave much more. but that's just my personal taste. i still think DW8000 is a great machine, with some unique hybrid sounds, especially for the money they ask nowadays.
Old 1st June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
And it's here! Everything works great. Now, off to make noise
Old 1st June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And it's here! Everything works great. Now, off to make noise
Enjoy it! Enjoy it for those of us who no longer have one!
Old 18th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Is it possible to the split the keyboard with the DW-8000?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novosibirsk ➑️
Is it possible to the split the keyboard with the DW-8000?
Only if you have the Angel City Mod.

Korg DW-8000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

KORG DW8000-EX
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Also, make sure you get the battery mod done since I've ran into three of these that were useless due to the battery leakage.

HOWTO: Korg DW-8000 Battery Replacement
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Serpent ➑️
How hard is it to do the mod? I have no electrical experience, but I have a friend who has a decent amount...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The angel city audio mod required you to replace the EEPROM with an expansion board. I've got one in storage - the DW itself needs the power supply PCB repaired. If anyone REALLY wants that chip, I could maybe get it for them.

The DW-8000 synths are awesome. I used to play the DW with an EX-8000 midi'd for some wicked FAT tones. The DW boards are very well behaved and controlled compared to something like a Juno-106 which is much more of a wide range freq output to shape.

The DW-8000 was partly a response to the DX-7 and has some nice FM like EP tones in it as well.

Currently, my DW is at a friend's studio and I am using the JUNO (with a memory man of course) a lot 'cause of the all the knobs / sliders!

Anyhow...back in 1991 my band PlanB did an album (Burlington VT). The solo on this track is the DW-8000 and EX-8000 together in one pass. The strings are also DW-8000 but with OB-X with some AKAI samples in there too.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2yzwlqnm2wn/mary.mp3
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
DW-8000 was my first synth, I picked it up when I was 16 for $175. You can definitely squeeze some great sounds out of it, I kind of whish I had kept mine but I've moved from city to city several few times since then and it ended up getting sold during one of the moves. :/
Old 19th October 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Awwwwww man, I had the opportunity to score an EX-8000 a couple of months ago, but the guy pulled out of the auction on the last day. Said that he needed to get the battery replaced and that he'd message me when he relisted it, but I'm pretty sure he settled with someone else outside of ebay ;(
Old 19th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, it's a god synth.

Unique, that's for sure, I didn't met the synth with similar sound character. One can get very soft-y sounds out of it. Not so cutting, but good addition to standard synth setup. You just have to like it, of course.
Old 4th December 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have a chance to purchase one of these and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their opinion on it.

Thanks

Yes it's an awesome synth. The filter self-resonates, but it's a bit loud and difficult to control. I like when it arpeggiates the filter on mine crunches some of the notes. it makes some unpredictable noises which are really beautiful. thumbsup
Old 4th December 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
That's value for money. Check all the keys and all the buttons work. My friend had one with very intermittent key contacts.
Yea I'm trying to fix that on mine. Any suggestions?
Old 5th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The best deal is imho the DSS-1 - if you have the space to keep it...

However, like the other guys have already mentioned, the DW/EX-8000 is very nice too, and the classic Korg DDL really adds to the sound. A few audio examples:

Bells SE1 nice and hypnotic bells, with the DDL

Low Strings some classic hybrid digital/analog strings

Choir digi-choir that reminds of the Roland JX-series

Synth Bass 1 classic synth bass of the '80s

Prologue a modern-sounding synth with sweeping filter and DDL
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
NEVER sell or trade any synth that was made in the 80's... u will ALWAYS regret it... doesnt matter if its a Yamaha or Casio... lol

da relic
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I just bought a DSS-1 and have a DW-8000 that I'm looking to get rid of...
Old 12th March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Is the arp controllable via MIDI, or is there a retrofit available to do so?

I can't seem to find any informaton, but I'm assuming the answer is a no.
πŸ“ Reply