The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg DW-8000
Old 8th April 2013
Deleted d3a268b
yes it's quite possible the main outputs are not as loud as the headphone out when you try it with headphones (which would usually be internally amplified somewhat). Sounds like it's OK to me just the usual reduced volume you'd expect when not using the correct output for headphones.
Old 8th April 2013
MAA

🎧 5 years
There is a separate headphone jack next to the left and right outs that should give you "stereo" sound. If you are only hearing audio out of one side in the headphone jack there is a good possibility that the slide pot might be messed up.

As for quiet audio when the volume is turned all the way up there is a switch to the left of the left/right outs that changes the volume. They are labeled "high / low". I typically have mine set to high and can keep the volume very low and run it through my mixer or my more synth friendly effects processors. I typically only use the low setting if I'm running the synth through a guitar pedal like a EHX Small Stone.

If the slide pot is shot on the DW8k you're looking at, any 100k slide pot can work as a replacement if you are comfortable changing things out on the board. When mine went out my repair guy just changed the silver/metallic filament (I'm not a tech guy so I don't know if this is the right use of the word) on the bottom of the pot and it's worked fine ever since. If you have to change to pot completely I think they are under $5.

I hope that helps?
Old 9th April 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAA ➡️
There is a separate headphone jack next to the left and right outs that should give you "stereo" sound. If you are only hearing audio out of one side in the headphone jack there is a good possibility that the slide pot might be messed up.

As for quiet audio when the volume is turned all the way up there is a switch to the left of the left/right outs that changes the volume. They are labeled "high / low". I typically have mine set to high and can keep the volume very low and run it through my mixer or my more synth friendly effects processors. I typically only use the low setting if I'm running the synth through a guitar pedal like a EHX Small Stone.
I hope that helps?
Thanks for the tip! Headphones out works great (actually too full and loud!!) and well the mono out is weak on headphones but then again never listened to any of my synths outs with headphones... BTW, great tunes man, I'm getting this baby because I'm too broke to get a Prophet VS and I'm the digging the carpenter vibe
Old 9th April 2013 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromantik ➡️
Thanks for the tip! Headphones out works great (actually too full and loud!!) and well the mono out is weak on headphones but then again never listened to any of my synths outs with headphones... BTW, great tunes man, I'm getting this baby because I'm too broke to get a Prophet VS and I'm the digging the carpenter vibe
I love my DW8000. Something to note, is that the synth doesn't actually create a stereo signal the proper way. The only part of the synth that is actually in stereo is the delay effects, and the way that it creates a stereo signal is by simply inverting one of the channels before the effect.

I forgot were I heard this, but it certainly seems to be true, if you run a mono signal out of the synth with the delay effects turned off and then add effects in your DAW or in your rack, you have less of a chance of your synth getting lost in the mix from basically canceling itself out.

So if you are worried about your stereo output, dont
Old 10th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil ➡️
If the tact switches are the same as in the KPR-77 (they seem to at least fail in the same manner), Omron B3F-5050 is a good replacement.
Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'd love to get some new switches in DW-8000.
Old 17th April 2013
t0p

🎧 5 years
Does anybody know what is that lil red paper in the inside of the synth, i guess its over the delay motherboard.
Old 13th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I got my DW8k at the end of last year, and absolutely love it. I had a JX8p before, which I'd gotten a bit bored with (sounded lovely and creamy but very samey). Was a bit worried I'd lose silky analog strings buying a hybrid, but those worries were misplaced. What a gorgeous sounding machine.

It has really come alive with my new BCR2000 - not that it was hard to program before, but lots of knobs are useful.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So I have a chance to grab this thing for a reasonable price. So far I've found one downside to this, and it's the fact that it doesn't have keyboard transpose.. I'd like to replace my Korg R3 as the main keyboard (controlling Elektron A4 and MS-20 Mini through A4's CV outputs), and transpose would be useful for that. The expansion module from Musitronics seems to add that, has anyone ordered one lately? How difficult is the installation? I can do some basic soldering.
Old 8th December 2014

🎧 10 years
korgdw8000

Actually just posted a video demoing this beautiful synth!! check it out if you have time

KORG DW-8000 Vintage Synth 1985 DEMO (In-depth)

The sounds can produce so many different sounds! Great low end/bass on it.
Old 16th February 2016

🎧 5 years
Hey guys------ forgive me, I never know the best place to post these inquiries........
I've got a DW-8000, and it is a treasure in my set-up. I love the sound, I am fairly competent at programming it via the single slider and it layers fantastically with some of my other synths. I have seen this problem stated here before, and on various other forums but I have yet to find a solution.

My arpeggiator does not sync. It will work properly on 1-3 (internal sync), but if I choose 4-6 (external) it will not play. It's not a deal breaker, but it does keep me from really making the most of it.

Has anyone resolved this issue??
I have the midi channels matched, switched cables, tried different units. I understand it is a somewhat common problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

Truman
Old 23rd May 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I was just given a Korg Dw-8000,and an Alesis adat,and an old Sony Portable video 8 recorder-With a funky in/out outboard plug thingy for video and 2 track audio.Sort of like a walkman video recorder.
And its not even Christmas !!!
Old 11th March 2022 | Show parent
Can someone point me to any resources about this synth: websites, hints, tipps and tricks?

Thx
📝 Reply