Quantcast
Thoughts on dubstep? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on dubstep?
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thoughts on dubstep?

What are all your thoughts on dubstep? It seems to be the genre thats going to dominate over the next year or so at least. Everyones talking about it and the I've noticed all the clubs near me are starting to incorporate it more and more.

Personally from what I've heard I don't like it. To me it seems to be a direction moving away from the musical, based mostly around percussion (that I find it difficult to dance to) and the synth work that is basic and (to me at least) lacks real melodic value.

what are your opinions?
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What is dub-step? Can anyone provide a link, examples?
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Dubstep

When it's good, it's really good, and when it's bad, well, it can be pretty bad. I wouldn't generalize it, though. It's an emerging genre that's evolving really fast, and the talented producers are making some amazing new music. Then, like any genre, the people producing the formulaic dubstep can make it pretty boring (see also house, trance, hip-hop, etc).

I love good dubstep music, and enjoy how the artists are really experimenting with new bass tones and frequencies, and pushing their synths hard. I also like the heavy percussive elements of it, too. I also appreciate how artists from other genres are taking the most interesting elements of dubstep, like the bass, and crafting it into new styles of music.

As much as I like it, though, I can't listen to it set after set in a club. I need more variety.

Some artists worth checking out: Eskmo (very musical, extremely well produced), Scuba (downtempo-y, ambient), Caspa & Rusko (heavy, nasty bass), Disrupt (roots-y dub style).
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➑️
What is dub-step? Can anyone provide a link, examples?
This seems to be the most played dubstep tune of the moment (at least here in the UK)

YouTube - Caspa - Cockney Violin

To me its a pile of rubish other than the catchy violins

Actually thats note true, I'm quite digging dubstep at home, but I have no idea how anyone dances to it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a BIG hit is Israel, many parties here, many artist, good vibe thumbsup, im just sick of the same LFO's most using, some are exeptionaly good.
Deleted d2a68cc
After a few years, I remain unconvinced.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
try this....

Burial on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

I`m more a analog guy but this kid is good. sad but true the sound represent our times at least here in europe...

cheers moma
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Dearie me.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I love it. It is a viceral music, a physical music, I didn't get it until I heard it on a good system in a club night with a lot of good heads. You need great bass. The genre basically came up around the sound system at Plastic People, which is amazing and tweaked for bassheavy music, which is something to experience, massive volume, yet you can still have a casual conversation right by the speaker without raising your voice. Not shrill mid crap like most clubs, ear splitting distortion etc. the venue is so key.

It's heavy on the dubplate culture too. A lot of the productions are all computer based, but they get them cut to dubplate at places that really know what they are going for, bassheavy for a massive system, so the tracks have the vinyl mastering also tuned for the systems they are aiming for. Also serves as a bit of quality control. The tunes somewhat live and die by 'the drop' basically, the excitement they generate when the bass hits, which isn't really going to matter to you that much at home, but plays into the physical nature of the music, the subs hit you in the chest and can amp you up or make it a bit hypnotic towards the more dubby end.

As a genre it is very open, you get a lot of experimental stuff and it cn go from jah mon to guitarmonies, 808's to 2 step garage. Right now it is probably the only scene that is vibrant and inspiring to me.

names to check IMO Kode 9 and anything on hyperdub, starkey, darkstar, martyn, mala, joker, skream, there's tons really, like anything you have to sift through. As for dancing to it, bob your head twice to each beat, and follow the bass.

Whatever, it doesn't have to be for everybody, dancefloor is too crowded now as it is.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig ➑️
Personally from what I've heard I don't like it.
so thats it to the youth of today...

take everything you like from a song, and strip it out. what is left over: new genre, hated by the 'old' and loved by the 'young'. country -> rock and roll -> d & b -> dub step.

10 yrs from now will we have monostep? A single bass note played over and over again and people yelling CHOOON...

lol. I'm not sure how I feel. What I have heard so far doesn't make me want to go out and become an expert, but then maybe i'm not feeling the right vibe right now to get it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jesus you sound like me now. Be carfull or people will think your a grumpy old man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️

take everything you like from a song, and strip it out. what is left over: new genre, hated by the 'old' and loved by the 'young'. country -> rock and roll -> d & b -> dub step.

10 yrs from now will we have monostep? A single bass note played over and over again and people yelling CHOOON...

lol. I'm not sure how I feel. What I have heard so far doesn't make me want to go out and become an expert, but then maybe i'm not feeling the right vibe right now to get it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
i think that the hip hop impact in popmusic in the last years build an essential fundament for the success of dubstep-clubmusic.
it even contains rap-elements sometimes.
its like a fresh generation within electronic music which is not generated by house/techno. at the same time it offers a lot of free expression and old "electronic music" related sounds. so dubstep becomes a well balanced mix of artfull electronic music expression (producer-view) and at the same time dancefloor-compatible music for the masses.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️

lmao...that was funny and sadly probably not far from the truth. From the examples I listened to it just sounds like Reggae with some extra sound fx thrown in. Seriously...does this really deserve to be a genre on its own???
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig ➑️
What are all your thoughts on dubstep? It seems to be the genre thats going to dominate over the next year or so at least. Everyones talking about it and the I've noticed all the clubs near me are starting to incorporate it more and more.

Personally from what I've heard I don't like it. To me it seems to be a direction moving away from the musical, based mostly around percussion (that I find it difficult to dance to) and the synth work that is basic and (to me at least) lacks real melodic value.

what are your opinions?
well try this then

silkie and quest

GetDarker.com / GotDarker :: File -> Quest b2b Silkie - Live @ Uprooted (11.07.08) - Uploaded by: Signus

dubstep is atmo moving in all kinds of directions and this is just one of them...

the thing about dubstep..well for me at least.. is the dynamics in rhythm
and the diversity in its musical expression thats possible..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I love it, especially when listening on a good system. I like crank it really loudly in the Studio with the Subs on. Can be very powerful stuff.
I dig this track too. Check it out 55 secs when the beat drops. Huge!

YouTube - Chase and Status - Eastern Jam
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
btw.. this me and me mates take on dubstep

YouTube - You Don't Know What Love Is - 2000F & Jkamata

comin out on Hyperdub real soon..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I won't lie: I've HATED it for the past couple of years. Funny thing is, I've recently had a conversion around it, and now I'm really into it. Like any other form of dance music, you've gotta hear the really good stuff. Overall, I think it shows a lot of promise-- it's pretty open ended, and there's a lot of sounds you can get away with using that wouldn't fit in a more "traditional" genre. In that regard, I like it a lot. It's not hardline and stodgy the way some electronic music genres are. Funny how people get fixated on one rhythmic structure and sound palette. What happened to experimentation, and being original? Anyways, I think dubstep has a long way to go, but it's got some good possibilities.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[quote=crufty;3901269]10 yrs from now will we have monostep? A single bass note played over and over again and people yelling CHOOON../quote]

HA! That's the sound of the future... I am running with it!

I like the name though, I think I am gonna name the track I am doing now that. After all it's all mono synths at this moment.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Not a fan of most dubstep coming out, but there's definitely some gems.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
like any other genre there's good but most of it is very samey. after it saturates a bit a formula is made and lot's of people get into it to try and make some $$ instead of making music.

i think all that happened quite rapidly w/dubstep though there are people who aren't sticking to the mold and kind of doing their own thing which i always think is cool in whatever genre whether it's gay diva house, noise, ambient, glitch hop etc.. there's always something good going on.. but you have to care enough to find it and most people who aren't already a little bat**** over a given genre don't go looking for it.

anyway- i like some of funckarma's take on dubstep "dubstoned EP" and a few things that came out on planet mu a while back. the pinch has some good tracks.

Releaseinfo - Highpoint Lowlife Records

i think going out and listening to dubstep can be a good experience but it's totally dependent on the DJ.. how interesting he/she makes and do they mix it up a little and maybe drop something slightly outside the genre in the mix?? i love when DJ's do that.. drop in a break or some old school dub or whatever.. something to take you away and bring you back... honestly though.. i think i've been to one dubstep night in my life so...
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wow really like some of that Eskmo stuff

I think the tempo of Dubstep allows for some really interesting music.. The extra space for atmosphere....

However crap cliched warp bass sounds are really boring. Not a fan of rude boi nonsense. But seems like some really good stuff out there. Burial is great also...

Personally I dont like it on the dancefloor tho. Tempo too slow and I dont like going double time...but thats a personal preference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the examples gentlemen. So far, I like what I am hearing. Like any new style of music, it takes a while to get into. I think Dubstep has a lot of room to develop.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
+1 Eskmo

Bought the release containing Agnus Dei.
Was more interested in second track - Harmony, thought.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
its threads like these that make me question the taste and age of many slutz on this forum...

this "genre" is so fresh and so much about sonic textures as opposed to melodies and technicalities of music making.....

to me its about aesthetics and vibe.

sampling and dubstep rule!
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
White people with dreadlocks

ruining good black music and trying to call it a genre.
I'm european. The dubstep night I went to just made me go straight back to real reggae or real hip hop. Music that's done well.

The music I heard was slowed down reggae beats with boring white boy basslines and no good vocals.
Maybe there is some good stuff in this monicker. But I prefer honest soulful music rather than slowed down techno beats with no good basslines and no heart. Dreary is the word I would use to describe the music I heard.
A big step backwards.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I like it. It's got polyrhythms, that make me (and others) want to move about the place, is fullrange (something is happening in the low end as well) and there's some nice experimental stuff going on.

As in any genre that becomes popular, it'll become rigid, and the attributes which set it apart, will become more important, than any (other) musical ideas contained within. People will argue "this is not dubstep, because..." Then it'll become really boring. LOL

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman ➑️
ruining good black music and trying to call it a genre.
I'm european. The dubstep night I went to just made me go straight back to real reggae or real hip hop. Music that's done well.

The music I heard was slowed down reggae beats with boring white boy basslines and no good vocals.
Maybe there is some good stuff in this monicker. But I prefer honest soulful music rather than slowed down techno beats with no good basslines and no heart. Dreary is the word I would use to describe the music I heard.
A big step backwards.
hmmm
how about this piece then?

No lyrics.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius ➑️

anyway- i like some of funckarma's take on dubstep "dubstoned EP"

+100 Anything that Don and Roel touch is crazy inspiring.

Check out Headhunter... he's got a cool and original dubstep sound.

That's what I like so much about Dubstep, there's such a variety out there right now. With any genre, there's really good intelligent and musical dubstep being made, but there's also a lot of simple, loud party boy music as well. To each his own i guess
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've listened to a small cross section of dubstep and there's not that much that's really caught my attention with the exception of Gravious. For some reason, his mixes really click with me; there's a lot going on in the music and it creates a very interesting atmosphere. Give him a shot if you're curious:

Gravious on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

The links to his mixes are in the blog.
πŸ“ Reply