Quantcast
Thoughts on dubstep? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on dubstep?
Old 5th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love music that has energy, period. Funky energy.

I first heard the term Dubstep around ~'97 on the West Coast. iirc it was known then as a UK & NYC based subgenre of drum&bass and barely trickled in.
The tracks of late utilize more post-processing, lotta Indian vocals and obsessive micro-editing than before, but the fundamentals are the same: Double-time drums over a normal or half-time bassline, builds and drops, sampled/processed/mangled vocalsamples, dark/evil FX sweeps etc.
The LFO-modulation basswobble, of course is the most common distinguishing element that sets Dubstep apart from other genres. Also the dubby FX (w/ distinctly modern crispiness) , bitcrushing and busy busy distorted kickdrums.

Much of the dubstep i hear today still bears a striking resemblance to some mid-late 90's Ed Rush tracks....and also an album made by Jochem Paap who was up to that point a 4-on-the-floor techno guy.
I'm pointing to this one in particular:
(much more like the stuff you hear today)
Speedy J's "Public Energy #1": Chock full of half-time massive distorted beats and bass and it came out iirc slightly earlier than the Ozio link from before. Not so d&b influenced, but he saw the future on that one. At the time no other record sounded like it.

Old 5th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
lovely stuff... his track Vancouver (& the 2652 remix) was brilliant
Old 6th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 ➑️
I'm pointing to this one in particular:
(much more like the stuff you hear today)
Speedy J's "Public Energy #1": Chock full of half-time massive distorted beats and bass
Thanks, it seem great. Recall me also what some call breakcore or idm.

Another proto dubstep stuff could be the works of the new-yorkers of wordsound (if I remember well, they refered to their sound as "dub-hop"), especially spectre/slotek. Slotek's hydrophonic LP is really really great. Right now, a guy have just uploaded spectre's second coming LP on YT: YouTube - Spectre - The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

Spo*** come in mind too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 ➑️
and it came out iirc slightly earlier than the Ozio link from before.
In fact, oizo found the analog worms attack sound in 1995 with this track: YouTube - Mr Oizo - L'Homme De Fer (1995 Cheap Mix) (From "#1")
He refined it in 98 with the M-seq 6 tracks ep.
Old 6th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lol!S p o o k y is an insult in english?
Old 7th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
INteresting thread....

Anyone here remember those Depth Charge records from waaay back?

Dead by Dawn?

Depth Charge?

"I am Han Do Jin... Hang Wong's son....."

Zz.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I like Burial's stuff, but more for the sort of eerie depiction it gives of the social side of urban Britain (well, London). When you put the tracks in context, they really paint an impressive picture.

But as a whole dubstep doesn't do an awful lot for me. I'll admit I haven't heard it on a good sound system, which is half the point, but it's just not sufficiently melodic and flowing for my taste.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Having listened to some of the examples here and reading a bit I now remember why I refused to go to shoreditch with my mates. There's no way I could dance to dubstep, I'm not programmed that way

The beats are too disjointed and the melodies don't get my spark up. Put it this way, as an example when N-Trance - Set You Free comes on in a club I have to dance (sad to admit it but it's true!). It's not an option, somewhere in my brain something forces my body to move and I have no choice but to comply. It's the rhythm, the euphoric melodies, the massively impressive and powerful vocalis, I love Kelly Llorenna!

Dubstep is a sound that some people love. It's quite earthy and basic but at the same time quite technical and precise. Tracks like Photek - Ni-Ten Ichi Ryu have the same attributes, and I think that track is fantastic, but I can't share the same passion for dubstep. I think I find a lot of it too slow to dance too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla ➑️

Depth Charge?

"I am Han Do Jin... Hang Wong's son....."

Zz.
Great.

Quote:
eerie depiction it gives of the social side of urban Britain (well, London). When you put the tracks in context, they really paint an impressive picture.
I agree with you. I've experimented burial on place, and I also know how much those something step/garage beats fit well with the brit ambience and aesthetic. But I'm not sure of what you mean with "social side", tough.

For the rest, I'm not a fan of it as a generic sound. (Except when in uk). But from the first the streets to untrue, this genre can lead to real great things.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
and this..
proto dubstep?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, me, I'm not sure. But talk about a good techno track!
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla ➑️
Anyone here remember those Depth Charge records from waaay back?
Oh yeah, still have em on vinyl. Very inspiring for me at the time. I'd add Meat Beat Manifesto from the same time period "Dog Star Man" and Renegade Sound Wave.

Loving this at the moment:

Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalshim ➑️
Great.
+1 great fun stuff

i'm a fan of his dark electro'd mid-90's OctogonMan work. esp Biting the Dragon's Tail 12" both sides blows me fookin mind every time
you can hear one cut on Carl craig's DJ Kicks CD, of all places.
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I should hook up a download of my first LP "V for Vengeance"

Seems like a good few here would really enjoy it...

Zz.
Old 18th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
1) work hard till friday

2) friday evening go c ur girl

3) smoke di herb

4) have sex

5) smoke di herb

6) go to DUBSTEP night

7) dance

8) drink coca cola

9)
Old 18th May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Bug's (dancehall, dubstep producer) London Zoo was (I believe) the highest rated album on Metacritic for 2008. There is not wobble after wobble but it is considered dubstep. The beauty of it though is that it is perfect for daily listening. If you were going to DJ it out you could easily play/drop some heavy bass along with it live. The Bug really knows what he is doing.

YouTube - The Bug - Poison Dart feat. Warrior Queen
YouTube - The Bug - Skeng
Old 19th May 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My problem with dubstep is that it always sounds like an intro. I'm waiting and waiting for the track to begin but it never does. The beats don't have that rolling quality (like say house, techno or d&b) to them so I don't know how to dance to it but it's so aggressive music that I can't really just listen to it and chill out either. It's really the only genre of music I really don't understand, I get electrohouse or Tiesto-style trance (although I don't like those, I still understand them). I don't dislike it, I just don't understand it. I'm officially old.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel ➑️
I don't dislike it, I just don't understand it. I'm officially old.
Maybe point 3) and 5) of my "celebrating the dubstep" manual might be of help
msl
Lives for gear

Linking this recently.

πŸ“ Reply