The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on dubstep?
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
Police brought reggae to pop as dubstep brings reggae to DnB

Not to be a dick, but that comment makes it blatantly obvious that you do not listen to Dubstep or D&B. If you had even remote understanding of either genera, you wouldn't have made the above comment.

Some of the first Jungle (Ragga) damn near WAS reggae. In 1993. Not 2008.
Dubstep brings nothing to D&B as Dubstep is not really connected to D&B in any meaningful way apart from having lots of bass, artist crossover, and rewinds.

Dubstep is it's own thing. I wish people would start to realize that.

-origin

P.S. Anyone who makes comments like "I would fall asleep or leave" at a dubstep event has obviously never set foot inside a dubstep event. The best ones are completely bonkers: Full of energy, an excellent Boy/Girl ratio (Something D&B was never able to get past) and in no way boring.

again:

:: SMOG // LOS ANGELES DUBSTEP :: (I Don't work for these people. they just do it right)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
but I think there's definitely a shift happening, and it has started like 2 years ago already. From fast paced breaks based music where dnb is the main genre (you have all sorts of variants and sub sub genres) to this more kind of techy dubby ragga broken breakbeat stuff that we're pigeon holing and generalizing as dubstep now.

and I think it's great.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
me too.
take the best, leave the rest. (to people worrying about "defining" a genre)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by origin35 ➑️
Not to be a dick, but that comment makes it blatantly obvious that you do not listen to Dubstep or D&B. If you had even remote understanding of either genera, you wouldn't have made the above comment.

Dubstep brings nothing to D&B as Dubstep is not really connected to D&B in any meaningful way apart from having lots of bass, artist crossover, and rewinds.

Indeed........dubsteps roots come mainly from UK Garage/2-step
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
love it! kids having fun and doing something rather than sitting in front of a tv

old farts will knock anything they cant do with all their tons of gear & 'experience', lol

more power to the yout dem. I love that old coki tune

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I blame Ketamine.

For Dubstep AND mnml AND people not dancing so much any more, just sort of vaguely waving about.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not to be a dick, but that comment makes it blatantly obvious that you do not listen to Dubstep or D&B.
not any more, at least.

Is this D&B still?
YouTube - Adam F - Circles
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
lol, funny how every thread almost in this forum ends in an arguement.

I only drop in now and again but sure enuff....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No it doesn't.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
LOL

YouTube - Monty Python - Argument Clinic

people dancing like crazy on dubstep here
the tent with the steam coming off it, on a festival
that's the dubstep tent!
heh
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Dubstep is it's own thing. I wish people would start to realize that.

-origin

P.S. Anyone who makes comments like "I would fall asleep or leave" at a dubstep event has obviously never set foot inside a dubstep event. The best ones are completely bonkers: Full of energy, an excellent Boy/Girl ratio (Something D&B was never able to get past) and in no way boring.

again:

:: SMOG // LOS ANGELES DUBSTEP :: (I Don't work for these people. they just do it right)

what up Origin?

its festa from San Diego!

EZZ forum, 1st post here!

I produce and dj dubstep as well as run a label and throw dubstep events.

there is alot of music coming out in this genre and no...

not all of it is good.

Some is dark and scary

some puts me to sleep

and some is very driving and club friendly

you can't really say "ALL DUBSTEP SUCKS"

but I find there are alot of haters around

just like there were alot of haters when house music was emerging

just like there were alot of haters when disco was emerging

just like there were alot of haters when rock was emerging

you get my point

here is a mix consisting of tunes from my label

Roguedubs Β» Audio
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
thumbsup
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I dont know why anyone is saying Dub Step comes from hip hop. Its basically an offshoot of IDM, Trip Hop, and Garage. That said, I dont care for the music much, except for maybe a well made single here and there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my introduction to dubstep was at my first gig. The dj was spinning it, and what I heard, BLEW my mind. I thought it was Industrial Drum n Bass or something, but it turned out to be some form of dubstep. I pretty much wanted to start making it right after I was there that night.

Definitely a new sound for electronic music, it doesnt remind me of the 90s, and thats a GOOD thing. Im soo sick of this 80's/90's revamped crap. I want something new already. for god sakes, its 2009! not that I hate those decades, I grew up in them, but its like I want something original and fresh (i guess im asking too much there already, lol)

I think age definitely has a role on this forum. Im probably one of the younger ones here, being 22 and all. But ive been into electronic music since 99, so I have some perspective in that regard. I say, its time to reinvent the wheel.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sweet Jesus! I would have killed to have your gear at 22.
All I could afford was a ****ty guitar that wouldent stay in tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture ➑️
my introduction to dubstep was at my first gig. The dj was spinning it, and what I heard, BLEW my mind. I thought it was Industrial Drum n Bass or something, but it turned out to be some form of dubstep. I pretty much wanted to start making it right after I was there that night.

Definitely a new sound for electronic music, it doesnt remind me of the 90s, and thats a GOOD thing. Im soo sick of this 80's/90's revamped crap. I want something new already. for god sakes, its 2009! not that I hate those decades, I grew up in them, but its like I want something original and fresh (i guess im asking too much there already, lol)

I think age definitely has a role on this forum. Im probably one of the younger ones here, being 22 and all. But ive been into electronic music since 99, so I have some perspective in that regard. I say, its time to reinvent the wheel.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I think it's perfectly ok to say you don't like a genre, or find it a snooze without being labeled an old fart with too much gear.
If this is about age we'd all be jamming to the Jonas brothers.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➑️
Sweet Jesus! I would have killed to have your gear at 22.
All I could afford was a ****ty guitar that wouldent stay in tune.
I had one home organ (with a bank of "funny" sounds too )
two recordplayers (one with pitch the other.. not)
and a crappy mixer, that would spit out CRRERRROOOOOIIIIINK if you'd look at it the wrong way. oh and a fukked up mic from some super 8 camera.
And I was a happy camper!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
...snip... I say, its time to reinvent the wheel.
yep.. reading your post, I'd say we're on the same page
funny how that is
how's the modular btw?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some I've heard so far is nice. Could actually imagine someone rhymin over a few tracks like that, the dubby half-time feel would go good w/ a double-timed MC.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbongsilver ➑️
Some I've heard so far is nice. Could actually imagine someone rhymin over a few tracks like that, the dubby half-time feel would go good w/ a double-timed MC.
it's called grime if you want to look for it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My house mate makes some pretty melodic D.S. This genre has been around for a good few years already. Like every other, getting many of it's influences from Techno (I'm not talking about the bang bang crap either)

ATOMIQUE on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wrong ➑️
I blame Ketamine.

For Dubstep AND mnml AND people not dancing so much any more, just sort of vaguely waving about.
Dude it's true that the K (no I don't take it but know about it) makes people not do very much. But, what a load of ball saying K has anything to do with D.S. If anything it's the weed man...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
I think it's perfectly ok to say you don't like a genre, or find it a snooze without being labeled an old fart with too much gear.
If this is about age we'd all be jamming to the Jonas brothers.
thats fine. You dont have to like something for the sake of liking something. Everyone is entitled to feel the way they do. Age is a state of mind anyways, and I feel much older than I really am, dont know why, but I do. I relate more to Gen X then Gen Y. But thats another story.

Jonas Brothers (shivers). That's taking it too far. No wait, Fall Out Boy. There, I just took it even further.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
yep.. reading your post, I'd say we're on the same page
funny how that is
how's the modular btw?
Im peeing my pants in anticpation of getting it Monday. That and my 909. Its gonna be a friggin analog festival when those two make their arrival.

I will need to get busy for my Improv Detroit Techno set coming up, gotta get my improv skills up and running before the 20th.

my friends keep telling me I should have gotten the Macbeth M5, but the price tag and the fact I couldnt find anyone that sold them state side, made me go "wow, 5k for a synth, YOUCH!' Although I could have bought one if I didnt buy a 909 and Dot com. I can always get a M5 later, a 909 doesnt come around much, well not for reasonable prices that is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
YouTube - Benga The Dubstep man
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
my friends keep telling me I should have gotten the Macbeth M5,
I'm sure you'll be just as happy with the Dot Com.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
I'm sure you'll be just as happy with the Dot Com.
yah me too.
(The macbeth is awesome sounding too btw.)
the previous thread inspired me to go look into the 5ru modular stuff.
I'm retooling my setup, always avoided it, didn't allow myself to buy more modules. (danger of addiction. eurorack=crack, cheap, looks cheap, instant fix, evoces techno vibes, makes you wanna sell your girlfriend to get more ) But now I'm selling and this stuff just sounds a bit different, than the regular eurorack (which is not bad any way you look at it, and very powerful, once in combination)
one could make some killer dubstep basslines with that dotCom
Architecture, you got some noise module or distortion pedal?
i'd rather listen to actual dub anyday of the week then this stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeg1970 ➑️
Dude it's true that the K (no I don't take it but know about it) makes people not do very much. But, what a load of ball saying K has anything to do with D.S. If anything it's the weed man...
Yeah, I wish there was a tongue in cheek symbol you could use when making comments that aren't meant to be taken literally...............................

Smileys are too, well, smiley.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_headphones ➑️
i'd rather listen to actual dub anyday of the week then this stuff.
Yeah, this is like Dub for the itchy.
πŸ“ Reply