Quantcast
bought a TR909 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bought a TR909
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bought a TR909

Today, I just put in an order for a TR909. Should be getting it sometime soon here.

Cant wait to get funky with it. just curious, how do most of you guys have it synced to your midi rigs? master? Slave? i have heard issues about it going out of sync in slave mode. is that true?
Old 10th February 2009
Deleted 231be8b
yeah it loses sync.. though you can get it to sync if you press stop and play a couple of times.

I don't use the sequencer on mine , I just trigger the sounds over midi.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
well with Digital performer i always had issues using it

i prefer to program on the 909 in real time in tap mode so i like use the computer to jump the 909 , but Digital Performer everything would drift eventually

but in ableton i found if i put the sync function on and use the DIN SYNC INPUT NOT MIDI and set the pre sync to -36.5 ms it works so well

also i have the 303 on DIN SYNC as well so they are in absolute time all together

i have a MIDI to DIN SYNC convertor box that has two DIN outs

best msq 100
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
also u can use

a msq100
or sbx 80 for syncing as well
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I never had a sync problem with my old 909.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Congratulations for getting the 9o9. Good choice
I sync it to MIDI-clocke and it never ran out of sync, though it has the old V1 firmware. If you experience problems with the MIDI sync, just sync it using the DIN-Sync input.
I use the internal sequencer and record patterns into my DAW. This keeps the original organic sounding shuffle of the internal sequencer..

have fun with the machine
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have an x0xb0x, so would I be able to use that to keep the TR909 in sync better?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i've read about 909's losing sync but i've not experienced it. We were using the 909, 303, FR-revolution, 606 + abelton live all sync'd up with a kenton pro2000 in the mix as well and it was rock solid all the way through many jam sessions of 5+ hours.

not saying other people haven't had issues.. juts my experience w/syncing a 909 has been very positive.

also there's this info regarding different firmware versions in the 909 and which one's had issues and which don't and how you can fix it. the V4 eprom seems to be still available:

TR-909 eprom v4.0
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
hey guys what is the best way to determine your tr 909 firmware ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Power up the machine while holding the "Track 1" button. One of the first steps will light up. E.g. Step one means V1, step 4 means V4....

I would't overrate that V1/V4 thing. I know lots of people with a V1-firmware including me who have never had any sync problems with their 909. Some time ago I bought the V4-ROM from Roland but until now I have been too lazy to install it, since the ROM is directly soldered on the PCB without using a socket.
Deleted 231be8b
Quote:
Originally Posted by msq100 ➑️
You check your serial number against a reference in the service manual. (which I don't have to hand but you can find it online as a downloadable PDF)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
In my experience, they only lose sync when you have swing turned on, dunno why....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I thought one of the main reasons for buying a 909 was to have the feel of the internal sequencer running the beats ? Its never quite the same programming it from host sequencers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
That's the reason why you should use use the internal sequencer instead of triggering the drums via MIDI...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yea whats the point of buying a 909 to just sequence it with another sequencer? I plan to have it slaved to my MPC2000XL, in my behemoth midi I/T chain. Man I need to get a more efficent way of doing this midi thing.

I know I need a patchbay for both midi and audio, im just soo friggin lazy and id have to reinvent the wheel in this studio to make it work. Ugh. Man, having lots of hardware can be a pain.

its no wonder I have become so motivated to play everything by hand. Soo much easier than dealing with my midi cluster****.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ill be glad to lighten the load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture ➑️
yea whats the point of buying a 909 to just sequence it with another sequencer? I plan to have it slaved to my MPC2000XL, in my behemoth midi I/T chain. Man I need to get a more efficent way of doing this midi thing.

I know I need a patchbay for both midi and audio, im just soo friggin lazy and id have to reinvent the wheel in this studio to make it work. Ugh. Man, having lots of hardware can be a pain.

its no wonder I have become so motivated to play everything by hand. Soo much easier than dealing with my midi cluster****.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msq100 ➑️
hold track 1 button while powering on the unit. then see how many step buttons light. if 4 of them light then you are w/the most up to date firmware if only step one lights then you are w/the earliest version of the firmware. it's in that link i posted early in this thread:

TR-909 eprom v4.0
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster ➑️
I thought one of the main reasons for buying a 909 was to have the feel of the internal sequencer running the beats ? Its never quite the same programming it from host sequencers.
exactly.. especially when you are triggering something else along with it get's pretty funky
Deleted 231be8b
Quote:
yea whats the point of buying a 909 to just sequence it with another sequencer?
1. You don't have to restart your recording multiple times because the 909 isn't in sync with the rest of your music. (usually only miliseconds but it's still out of time)

2. You gain 128 velocity values instead of 3

3. You can cut and paste patterns without going through the logic defying nightmare depths of the backwards 909 sequencer. (Try and make a duplicate copy of your pattern so you can add a variation and see how many button presses you have to make to do it)

4. I have a Vermona DRM1 and I can program the 2 drum machines together on the same cubase grid window.

5. I can go back and edit things alot easier in cubase

6. I bought the 909 for the sounds , not the sequencer. It isn't a 303 , its a basic 16/32 step drum machine.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well via Midi you get 64 velocity steps, not 128, since there are 6 Bit DACs at the velocity inputs of each instrument. But 64 steps is still quite acceptable I think..
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
same here I use it for the sounds. I trigger the midi with My MPC
have Fun with yours !

Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its funny, I didnt know the TR909 was used this way, or the fact it had that good of midi implimentation. I always thought people were working just the squencer on those (which made me wonder how people were getting crazy glitch stuff like Future Sound of London was getting, but they were using 808 samples i believe (antique toy comes to mind))

I have been using my MPC2000XL with 909 and 808 samples, but I found my bass drum samples to sound REALLY weak. I mean, i had to layer the 808 and 909 kick drum sample to get something usable on it. I hope the 909 is alot more powerful in real form.

Now heres a crazy question, are the knobs controllable by midi?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Now heres a crazy question, are the knobs controllable by midi?

Nope. Purely analogue pots there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ah figures, cant have everything.

now how to people use their 808s? internal sequencer, or ext? I would imagine it would be primarly the internal sequencer for those.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, that's the only way you CAN use an 808, with it's own sequencer. Unless it's MIDI'd up =o]
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
Yeah, that's the only way you CAN use an 808, with it's own sequencer. Unless it's MIDI'd up =o]
Mine has the midi upgrade. i use the MPC to sequence and the sounds of the 909 and 808.
The only sequencer I use that is NOT the mpc is the one of my TB 303
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I must be weird. I love programming on the 808 and 909. But I am a glutton for punishment....

alexP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
I must be weird. I love programming on the 808 and 909. But I am a glutton for punishment....

alexP
lol
it's not bad at all!! definitely different. I like it too sometimes but i have been using a MPC for over 10 years and I need some of it's functions ( note repeat, 16 levels) . that's all. it's actually cool sometimes to use a step sequencer as I come up with random I would have not done using a MPC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice ➑️
lol
it's not bad at all!! definitely different. I like it too sometimes but i have been using a MPC for over 10 years and I need some of it's functions ( note repeat, 16 levels) . that's all. it's actually cool sometimes to use a step sequencer as I come up with random I would have not done using a MPC

When i had my 909, i never sequenced it externally. I always used it's own sequencer. Can't get that 909 shuffle anywhere else =o] I also liked the external MIDI track.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Where would one go to get there 909 and 808 properly MIDI'fied
πŸ“ Reply