The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bought a TR909
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecprod ➑️
Where would one go to get there 909 and 808 properly MIDI'fied

The 909 is already MIDI'd. There are various MIDI kits available for the 808. I think Collin Frasier does one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
When i had my 909, i never sequenced it externally. I always used it's own sequencer. Can't get that 909 shuffle anywhere else =o] I also liked the external MIDI track.
you mean the 909 has a sequencer track just for external gear? wow, didn't know that either.

now, if I use my x0xb0x as a midi/sync converter, will the 909 still go out of sync?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It sure does. That's where Jomox got the idea for the Xbase09. My 909 never went out of SYNC. But i've only heard of issues with it's MIDI sync, not DIN sync.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
why own a TR-909 if you're just going to sequence it from something else?

you might as well build yourself a 9090 kit ... it sounds the same as far as i can tell, and it's easier to put in a rack.

anyway, yeah i definitely miss having a 909. that and the Miami are the only two drum machines on my to-get lsit.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great thread

Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 231be8b
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture ➑️
you mean the 909 has a sequencer track just for external gear? wow, didn't know that either.

now, if I use my x0xb0x as a midi/sync converter, will the 909 still go out of sync?
No

I had my 909 synced perfectly with dinsync via an acidlab bassline.

The 909 sequencer to sequence other instruments is a bit odd. When I sequence my vermona with it the volumes of the vermonas sounds are all way off. Some are full volume while others whisper.

You do get a full 16 seperate external instrument tracks though.
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just took my 909 and x0xb0x live, and all I can say is, WOW! That bassdrum just was slaying that PA system. Everyone said after I played, that they were kinda afraid because they couldnt get their digital stuff to sound nearly as good as what I was doing with my analog. My Little Phatty was also doing a number to that PA too.

Now im a firm believer in analog, lol. I dont think I can go back to virtual analog or softsynths after that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Amen brotha!!!

alexP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey! nice box you got there! ...it doesn't worth all this money though IMO...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ooops. posted something in the wrong window.

But yea, theyre not worth 2k, thats for sure. 1k or less would be ideal.

I think they need to come down in price. an 808 for 900 bucks would be awesome.
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Now im a firm believer in analog, lol. I dont think I can go back to virtual analog or softsynths after that.

The light hath shown!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I just took my 909 and x0xb0x live, and all I can say is, WOW!
it's unreal, isn't it?

i miss the TR-909 i used to borrow quite a bit. thankfully, providence has brought me one in a gear trade for the modules i sell. he's sending it on monday. i'm crossing my fingers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
heres some video of that night. After re watching these, Ive realized that a second person would have helped ALOT for this show. I had too many things going on in real time to do just by myself.

This was the last and one of the best songs of the night

This was the song where my Moog LP was literally rattling the speaker system. I have never heard their speaker system rattle like this until tonight, and they usually have lots of hard EBM industrial acts here.
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I might be picking a TR-909 off eBay soon. What should I check beyond pots and whether everything actually makes sound before deciding on whether I have a functioning unit?
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I hadn't realised that the 909 had its program in firmware... I'd figured it was embedded in the uP like other roland x0xen...

now if only I knew how to disassemble & code in assembly... s'pose there's not a whole lot I'd change though.

a tr606-like ability to do switch between write and play without stopping the clock would be nice.

Also in external instrument mode i'd like a way to have keypresses transmit midi without having to be in tap record... This would be useful when you are sequencing an external sampler/drum machine, to help you get a better idea of what sounds are assigned to each 909 key before you dive in and record.

Hope you folks don't mind me thinking out loud
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
heres some video of that night. After re watching these, Ive realized that a second person would have helped ALOT for this show. I had too many things going on in real time to do just by myself.

That is where you need an Octopus, or Nemo!

rachel
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
its funny, I didnt know the TR909 was used this way, or the fact it had that good of midi implimentation.
We used it that way when we had one years ago. Programming it from Cubase or another decent sequencer, you can be MUCH more creative with your grooves. If you're good enough at programming grooves in your sequencer, you can easily emulate that swing & feel of the 909's own sequencer, but you can also do a LOT more....
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I was wondering.
When you sync the TR909 with DIN-SYNC (it has only DIN-SYNC in)
does it then still sends out MIDI-CLOCK ?
Deleted 231be8b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitfinder ➑️
I was wondering.
When you sync the TR909 with DIN-SYNC (it has only DIN-SYNC in)
does it then still sends out MIDI-CLOCK ?
not tested it but I've read online it has both in and out on the same socket. You just need to make a special cable to connect the right pins or try half inserting the din sync cable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If we exclude that classic superb step sequencer etc.. is the sound so "superior" compared to high quality samples?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
If we exclude that classic superb step sequencer etc.. is the sound so "superior" compared to high quality samples?
Well programming it from a midi sequencer isn't about "superior" sound, it's about superior grooves. The 909's own sequencer is really cool, but timing wise for creating a wide variety of grooves, it can't touch a decent midi sequencer like cubase or logic where you've got practically no limitations on your groove timing. As for superior sound, well samples will never be the same as having the real thing in front of you that you can tweek away at, but samples can be a pretty damn good replacement for the straight sound, especially if you've sampled the real deal meticulously & made multilayered patches. There's an soundskin for the Soundart Chameleon called Fahreheit that's a great 808 & 909 clone. I think it's sample based. FWIW, I really like the Novation Drumstation as well. I think Novation did a great job with that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Samples are static. They only capture the vibe of the machine for that split second when you hit record. The vibe of any of those old machines is lost, as the sounds are constantly moving and shifting timbre wise, and really is the "soul" of those machines. Unless you have tried the real thing, Samples will cut it, but those in the know, realize that you need the originals to pull it off.

alexP
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
Samples are static.
They don't have to be static! We sampled the real deal here a few years back before it parted our company & we did it meticulously. Over 500 samples were taken, chopped up & made into Akai programs. It's still not the same as having the real thing to tweek around with live, but it ain't static either.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
Samples are static. They only capture the vibe of the machine for that split second when you hit record. The vibe of any of those old machines is lost, as the sounds are constantly moving and shifting timbre wise, and really is the "soul" of those machines. Unless you have tried the real thing, Samples will cut it, but those in the know, realize that you need the originals to pull it off.

alexP
I can understand this for other synthesizers, but i have my doubts for drum synths...i think that in the final mix 909 will sound the same to high quality samples or even good vstis...like D16 Drumazon...
Old 4th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Congrats! Simply get a Roland SH101, sequence it via trigger from the 909
and you can make Robert Hood sounding tracks all day long.

Add a Juno 106 to this rig, sequence it from the external midi-out ot the 909 and make it more sinister.
Old 4th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can understand this for other synthesizers, but i have my doubts for drum synths...i think that in the final mix 909 will sound the same to high quality samples or even good vstis...like D16 Drumazon...
Sorry but that is just not the case, for example:
If you program just a Clap on the 909 in a 4/4 beat you will
notice that the Clap sounds every time slightly different in tune.
If you add a snare on top of that clap it will sound different again because they use the same noise-source. Then again the clap sounds different to every volume you set it to, etc etc.
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Right now I'm considering either a 909 or 999. I'm well aware of the 909 magical sequencer but what about the 999? I have a MD UW MK2 right now and would feel comfortable sequencing either of them with it but would rather use the internal sequencer.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Try a 888 or 999 a few days in your studio...believe me, only that will figure out, if this drummachine is perfect for you.

I bought a new 888 and returned it after a few days because I couldn't work with the sequencer the way I would love to. It's not such a wonderful sequencer like the Machinedrum-Sequencer which is really perfect. A few reasons why I returned the 888:

- accent had a too big influence to the volume...sometimes the volume of my kick was nearly 2/3 of the volume-scale in the ableton-mixer...with accent the volume increased so much, that it came to clipping!

- the 4 outputs of the analog instruments were WAY louder than the sample-instruments...I had to put down the volume of the analog instruments by nearly the half to reach similar volumes

- the pattern-mode is the mode where you can set parameter-locks....but it's works totally different than the parameter-locks on the machinedrum.
In the MD: You can set different parameter-locks...for example on step 4 setting the decay on a full value of 127. When running the sequencer you can change all the parameters and only on step 4 the decay is going to the locked value of 127. You can change or delete the parameter-lock whenever you want.

In the 888/999: Every step you set is full parameter-locked for EVERY parameter! That means, that your step is always sounding exactly like your Instrument is programmed at the moment. For example...you set a 4/4-kickdrum-beat and want to try another decay-value. You turn the decay-knob but the sound doesn't change! Why? Because ALL the parameters are locked! So you have to unlock the steps first...press all the steps you want to be affected by your new parameter-changes. Then you can change the parameters and will hear a difference in the sound...but ONLY for the steps you have selected.
That means: If you have 9-10 steps in a 16-step-pattern and want to try a bit more decay or a different pitch, you first have to press all the steps because you can't hear the sound-difference until you have selected all the steps you want to be affected by the new parameter-settings. Man...that's killing your workflow!!!
Imagine you have a really nice pattern in pattern-mode and just want to turn a few knobs and tweak the machine during a litte jam-session...it's not possible!!! At first you have to select all the steps and THEN you can tweak the knobs.

The sound of the analog instruments is superb...the kickdrum is the best kickdrum I've ever heard from a drummachine. Really...in comparison a MD-Kickdrum sounds like pastic!
But the sequencer is ****! The MD is available for many years...why didn't Jomox made a similar sequencer?
16 parameter-lock-able steps are a joke...a new MD has 64 steps! You can combine the A and B patter to a 32 step-pattern. But only for the first 16 steps you can set parameter-locks.

But there is also the Performance-Mode...you can programm your beats but NO parameter-locks. It's nice to tweak live on the knobs But the special thing of newer drummachines is for me, that they have the possibility of setting parameter-locks. I don't need an internal sequencer for setting a few "normal" steps. I can do that comfortable with my software.

If you can live with all these things, the 888/999 is a wonderful drummachine. But for me it was very annoying...so I bought a Vermona DRM1 MKIII and I am happy with it I can't save presets, don't have an internal sequencer...but I'm not playing live and triggering it with my software-sequencer is much more comfortable for me than having all the anger with the internal Jomox-Sequencer. And I saved about 500,- Euro
For Live-Acts, the 888/999 is a good choice...but for me only the Performance-Mode is working well. The pattern-mode with the parameter-locks is not flexibel enough, because you can't tweak the sounds in a fast way...you first have to select all the steps which should be affected by the parameter-tweaking...annooooooying!

PS: Sorry for my bad English
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just want to say I love my 909. After playing with it for five minutes I resolved to get an 808 and an 727. I've thought about dropping them from time to time for other hardware drum machines, but I always come around -- and I won't even consider using samples in a sequencer or tracker.

909's are simply fun to play with, and they've got a life of their own.
Deleted 231be8b
Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsmm ➑️
Congrats! Simply get a Roland SH101, sequence it via trigger from the 909
and you can make Robert Hood sounding tracks all day long.

People have actually bought a record of a continious loop with zero variation ?

I'm doing it all wrong !
πŸ“ Reply