Quantcast
Sequencing with the Elektron Machine Drum & Monomachine - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequencing with the Elektron Machine Drum & Monomachine
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sequencing with the Elektron Machine Drum & Monomachine

So... My computer was taken, see: https://gearspace.com/board/moan-zon...ransacked.html
and now I have to work OTB untill I can afford a new computer. So anyway I will be sequencing with the Elektron Machine Drum & Monomachine to control those 2 boxes and my Virus Snow, Mopho & Microwave.

Anyone out there using these boxes as your primary sequencer? Is this a clunky way to work or is the experience gonna blow my mind?
I feel as I have just scratched the surface of what these boxes can do & I hope this will open a bunch of new possibilties and ideas.

Any tips????
THANKS!
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I don't use them as my main sequencer, but use them very often, synced to Logic.
Monomachine sequencing synths generally and Machinedrum sequencing a Jomox 999 ( much more convenient than using the 999 step sequencer). I can just say it works flawlessly and of course, it opens many possibilities ( imagine the parameter locks on any of your synths, using CC heh).
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes R. ➑️
I don't use them as my main sequencer, but use them very often, synced to Logic.
Monomachine sequencing synths generally and Machinedrum sequencing a Jomox 999 ( much more convenient than using the 999 step sequencer). I can just say it works flawlessly and of course, it opens many possibilities ( imagine the parameter locks on any of your synths, using CC heh).
Thanks Johannes.
Using the Mono for synth programing was my thought as well... Is it possible to programing chords and longer note durations as well?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
yes sure, you can program chords, and use different note durations ( and/or use the Note_Off trig event, holding FUNCTION key). Also, the arpeggiator can be send on the midi out ( just program a chord and activate the arpeggiator). I really love these sequencers, very inspiring imho.
Have fun !
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Johannes-
How do you keep the Machine Drum from triggering the Monomachine while the are linked via midi? Whenever I have a sequence running on my MD it tiggers the Mono.
THANKS!
Deleted d2a68cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc ➑️
Johannes-
How do you keep the Machine Drum from triggering the Monomachine while the are linked via midi? Whenever I have a sequence running on my MD it tiggers the Mono.
THANKS!
Go to the MD's global menus and change its MIDI channels from the default 1-4 to --.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc ➑️
Johannes-
THANKS!
I don't have this problem, as the MD midi Out is not connected to the Mono midi In ( Logic send the midi clock to the MD and Mono receive it via the MD midi thru).
But I guess what our_swimmer said is right : just be sure that the midi channels of the MD and the mono are different ( in the GLOBAL menus). In the same menu, on the Mono, you can also configure the midi sequencer ( midi channels for the six parts and CCs numbers).
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is a little dated but i've been using the mono to sequence my Reason [re]drums lately. It works well, as it basically lets trigger 6 simultaneous drum machines, (or synths or whatever). But sometimes the midi channels get confused, and i end up triggering the mute instead of the note on. All in all though, a very fun and useful sequencer. Also, using the mono's lfo's for midi control is a definite bonus!
Old 23rd September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use my machinedrum to sequence my Neptune2 and my Nord3. Love it! Very loopy, as with any x0x style programming so it's a bit of an arse for melodies but if you make loopy music it's good.
Old 23rd September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Both work well... just dive in and do it.
Old 6th September 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How do you connect the monomachine with multiple synthesizers there is only 1 midi out? what you use?
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a midi splitter would do the trick
Old 7th September 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
use midi thru if it's available on the synths..
πŸ“ Reply