Quantcast
Simple things that make your studio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Simple things that make your studio
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Simple things that make your studio

What are the simple things that make your studio??

Here are 3 things that i just could not live without:

1. Simon Cowell doll. As long as his head is nodding i know im onto a winner!

2. Neon blue light (Β£10 from Ikea). Adds such ambience and really sets the vibe in my studio.

3. Yamaha P60 (88 key). My first and favourite keyboard.....i use it for all my midi stuff and just love the piano feel the keys have compared to my other keyboards.

Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my blue led spot lights,my shark shaped mug for peppermint tea hahaha

In fact im sat here now trying to get a cool 808 groove going over some vox and acoustic guitars and watching the rain too whilst drinking from my shark mug
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cables.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sofabed and fridge !
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi!

ME...without ME, my studio is nothing

greetz
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Send ➑️
What are the simple things that make your studio??

Here are 3 things that i just could not live without:

1. Simon Cowell doll. As long as his head is nodding i know im onto a winner!
haha personally I cant think of a more toxic influence to have in a musically creative space....

to me it would be like having an idol of satan at the alter of the church.

each to their own
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
x10 appliance controllers.

RDP to my quickbooks on a remote server with invoice print back.

Power strips.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Since my studio is simple (and bedroom style):
5. 6' telecom rack that is deskside (romplers on bottom, analog midi less in middle, VA w/Midi up high).
4. Novation X-Station 25 keys (XY pad + joystick + template ability over USB mean it is really easy to customize on the fly for specific outboard patches)
3. AKAI ME30P midi router (4in, 8 out, great for mono synth sequencing)
2. a paper holder superglued into place for placing / rotating desktop synths on a shelf
1. belkin powerstrip, one switch to control them all.

and finally

0. The audio mute switch on my mac keyboard. great for when the phone rings. In fact without it I think I'd be unable to do much at all. I find myself muting and unmuting constantly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's the little things that make my studio. Things like having extra MIDI cables, being able to rack everything, having the right length of cables, not being bummed because I am out of floppies, having enough disk storage, knowing you can count on a good converter, having enough channels on your mixer, having a dead room to record vocals, having plenty of drum samples, plenty of synths lying around, having plenty of f/x pedals...

And then when I finish a song, everything is a mess. Things thrown everywhere, cables plugged across the room, the PC has been brought into the room from the other room, there is a Micorkorg and a CZ-101 sitting on top of one another on top of the mixer with a wired frenzy of cables you dare not trip over...

It's the fine details like having personal creative freedom to do whatever I want that make my studio a warm and inviting place to hang.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A mirror.... lol. It allows me to work the turntables and mixers without feeling like I have my back to the rest of my party.

And yes, I know it's a bad idea to have parties in my studio..... it's just so damn fun.

These pics are from a going away party we hosted here on Friday night..... good times and I recorded the audio from not only the music, but from the people.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
$60 Keyboard tray. I can't understand how I lived with out it before.

Simple things always bring it together.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Plants.
Some green life in the studio balances out the cold lifeless technology and really softens the whole vibe for me.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
- my led lights beneath my KB stand and above my rack/mixer.

- the low watt 6500k light above my desk.

- my ol' trusty CRT TV (which won't be any good in a few months); i gotta have some "noise" in the background, and COPS is very therapeutic.

- my cat Greybaby that hogs most of my executive chair and forces me to sit mostly on the edge. she's my trusted studio sidekick.

i had a really pretty plant that i got from IKEA; despite daily sunlight and regular watering, it was having none of me, and subsequently died. i've now decided to go with a cactus. good ol' reliable cactus -- you won't betray me, will you?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My 10 studio essentials - in no particular order

1 - coffee pot

2 - water cooler that dispenses both cold and water hot enough fofr tea

3- paintings on the wall

4 - a well set up patch bay

5 - a drawer full of kids musical toys

6 - a drawer full of assorted guitar pedals

7 - a GOOD CHAIR with no arm rests

8 - Internet

9 - many lighting options and colors

10 - a good view of nature - for LA, it looks like costa rica
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OCB rolling papers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
An M-rain raiser for the powerbook, an external keyboard and a dvi to adc converter to have a cinemas screen as a 2nd monitor. From now it seems possible to make long days without am aching shoulder.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkadellic ➑️

8 - Internet
I actually would say the opposite. I prefer to keep the internet out of my studio unless I specifically need to download something to my studio computer. But, I tend to waste time online, and keeping the internet out keeps me more productive.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I forgot the 75ct fleshhook that is keeping the headphone just so that I can grab it any time and the cable is never in the way and the keyboard drawer that is just some planks and screws but it holds the keyboard controller just inder the table surface while I can still sit with my knees under it.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusofMind ➑️
I actually would say the opposite. I prefer to keep the internet out of my studio unless I specifically need to download something to my studio computer. But, I tend to waste time online, and keeping the internet out keeps me more productive.

I couldn't disagree with you more!!!! Here are some reasons
-----

i need ther internet to keep all my software and hardware updated with the latest versions, drivers and upgrades

i am constantly sending and recieving files, mixes and ideas with many people many times a day via gmail, yousendit and .mac

i also accumulate a ton of gear. people bring and take equipment almost everyday - i need to go online and find manuals to figure out how to program some of this stuff

I am also a subscriber to a few online publications so i can be aware of new gear that comes out. most of the time i just print up articles and put them in the bathroom, or read them while im falling asleep

i also use the net to search for the best prices to buy gear.

i use the net to learn and research tricks, tips and techniques - i have learned more from the internet than i have ever learned from a university

--------

i use the net mostly for work, and its not my fault you waste your time jerking off on facebook

-oh, did i mention i met an old friend on facebook who is now a dj at a big radio station in dallas, and is now playing my music
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusofMind
...But, I tend to waste time online, and keeping the internet out keeps me more productive.
Quote:
-----

i use the net mostly for work, and its not my fault you waste your time jerking off on facebook

-oh, did i mention i met an old friend on facebook who is now a dj at a big radio station in dallas, and is now playing my music
Blasphemy... things you'd never want to admit to (Uh, musically!)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My glowing wall of plexiglass.......

Pictures soon.

alexP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a painting by a friend of my wife's which was given to us as an engagement present

plenty of natural light

its the little things that make my room enviting to work in
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
My Mackie Big Knob so I can have easy volume control and easy switching between monitors and headphones. It's such a simple thing, but it removes so much frustration and irritation.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
-----

i need ther internet to keep all my software and hardware updated with the latest versions, drivers and upgrades

i am constantly sending and recieving files, mixes and ideas with many people many times a day via gmail, yousendit and .mac

i also accumulate a ton of gear. people bring and take equipment almost everyday - i need to go online and find manuals to figure out how to program some of this stuff

I am also a subscriber to a few online publications so i can be aware of new gear that comes out. most of the time i just print up articles and put them in the bathroom, or read them while im falling asleep

i also use the net to search for the best prices to buy gear.

i use the net to learn and research tricks, tips and techniques - i have learned more from the internet than i have ever learned from a university

--------

Cool, I am glad it works for you. I don't think you need to be rude and imply I "waste time jerking off on facebook". I have a couple of computers around and the main studio computer I avoid using the internet to both keep it clean and to avoid distraction. Obviously I use the computer in the room outside my studio to do all the things you said (download manuals, read up on gearslutz, research gear, etc.) The only time I turn on the internet in my studio is when I need software updates.

We have different routines. Thats fine.

I agree that you can learn tons online for music production. I just happen to do that outside the studio.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Myself ...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1. AC

2. Dark walls

3. AC
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
2. Neon blue light (Β£10 from Ikea). Adds such ambience and really sets the vibe in my studio.

A couple of people have asked, so i thought i would post a picture.....

Its called a 'TRUNNA'

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Its called a 'TRUNNA'

Nice but not as nice as my shark mug hahaha
Attached Thumbnails
Simple things that make your studio-dsc00594.jpg  
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
LAVALAMP
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Its called a 'TRUNNA'

LOVE it.
But I can't find it on Ikea's site. (Or anywhere else for that matter.)

If anyone's got a link where I can purchase, I'd be much obliged.

thumbsup
πŸ“ Reply