Quantcast
Rise of the Maschine!!!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rise of the Maschine!!!!!
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Rise of the Maschine!!!!!

I have been rather excited for quite a while, but now with Native Instruments 'MASCHINE' being released in 20 days, i am about to explode.

Release date = 1st March

If you have been living in cave the last few months click here and just be ready to wet your pants!!

Whos going to be making a purchase??

Old 9th February 2009

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
not me...
the horror story that is Kore support sort of makes me want to reach for a bottle of bleach first. Expensive doorstops with blinky lights? The Ableton - Akai machine looks like a healtier investment.
I'd love to be proven wrong of course. I've never touched either a Kore or Maschine. So this is all IMHO.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have to see it and use it for a while before I am convinced.
It does look interesting though.
I have Komplete & to be honest I never use it. I'd hate to give NI more money if it did not inspire me from the go.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I personally cant see what is better about this than having Ableton + Drumracks + Drum Pad or Logic + Battery + Drumpad - and all your plugins available for high quality processing...

It just seems like they are making something 'more' complicated and separating the Beat building process from the DAW - its adding an extra step with its own software between the DAW. The above set-up is far 'more' integrated in the track and mix workflow than this it seems.

The strength of the MPC vs the top setup IMO is the sound of the MPC and the portability.

With this Maschine it seems like separating the process like the MPC but without the MPC benefits - its connected to your computer and using your computer I/O.

And putting a fat NI pricetag on it. I personally think NI are arrogant and produce average sounding software.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can see the value behind this. It seems like it's a way to have a nice hardware interface made specifically for the software.

Kind of like an MPD-24 if it were to come with some Akai software that would try and replicate the MPC. If Akai would do this I bet they would make a killing.

There are a lot of people who would love to do this and eliminate the manual awkwardness sometimes associated with pairing and interface and software. I know we all appreciate those who pay their technical dues, but there is a nice market for something like this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont think its unfairly priced... if you think about it, an akai MPD32+Guru or RMX or Battery would ad up to +500, so for $599 you get much tighter integration than with the MPD combo....of course it all comes dow to how buggy the software is, but all first versions of softwares aren't glitch free.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well I'm too lazy to see how the interface works... but If this thing can be guaranteed to be almost zero latency it would have a HUGE leg up.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
It's a fantastic concept, a custom hardware controller designed specifically for a software product. From what I can tell you don't even have to touch the mouse when using maschine.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've yet to hear something from Native Instruments that's worth buying...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
looks like frooty loops with external controller.. not for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
looks great to me.
an MPC for the 21st century.
good price too.
i like native stuff and think their tech support is awesome.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by passivepeter ➑️
their tech support is awesome.
That is the 1st time I have ever heard that statement.
I have never used their tech support, but I have only heard the opposite. Then again, many people are more likely to complain then compliment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think Maschine is more than interesting!

But i'm unsure if Maschine will get me further compared to my current workflow/setup including Logic 8, Battery 3 & Kontakt 3 (NI Komplete) and Akai MPD 24.

If Maschine really is the ultimate DAW MPC and the hardeware feels fine, the price is decent and i'm sold!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmolemon ➑️
I think Maschine is more than interesting!

But i'm unsure if Maschine will get me further compared to my current workflow/setup including Logic 8, Battery 3 & Kontakt 3 (NI Komplete) and Akai MPD 24.

If Maschine really is the ultimate DAW MPC and the hardeware feels fine, the price is decent and i'm sold!!!
Yep Me too!!!

Hopefully this machine will live up to the hype unlike the other MPC-like controllers.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

providing you have your own sample library with and you dont want a massive generic library - I cant see wht it will offer someone in your situation....apart from a small screen on the controller (which is most likely sitting near your 20" or so computer monitor...).

Oh and it puts an extra level of complexity to be learnt and dealt with in terms of sequencing and routing, and prob a few so-so inbuilt NI effects between your DAW....Similar to KORE IMO NI have invented something that wasnt needed and sexed it up with a fat NI pricetag and marketing campaign.

I could be wrong. But Guru/Battery already do most of the functions of MPC...the only point in owning an MPC now-days IMO is the hardware independence and the MPC 'sound'...

Neither of which this Maschine has. To me its the worst of both worlds.

LOL negative outlook I know! Maybe I'll be proved wrong...?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
I could be wrong. But Guru/Battery already do most of the functions of MPC...the only point in owning an MPC now-days IMO is the hardware independence and the MPC 'sound'...

Neither of which this Maschine has. To me its the worst of both worlds.
I have Battery, which I rarely use, and an MPC, which I do use. I personally don't like the sound of the MPC (for studio work I either use the digital outs or convert my sequences to midi files), and the independence of the MPC is of moderate benefit to me (though it is nice).

What I like most about the MPC is having a controller/interface that's designed specifically for the software that runs behind the hardware. It's the workflow of an MPC that makes composing a beat more intuitive and enjoyable. That's why I've never found buying some generic controller for use with battery or guru a good enough option. For the most part you're still ******* with the mouse and keyboard a whole lot.

On the other hand with the MPC, I still have to do a lot of work with the computer, whether prepping my samples for use in the MPC, or getting the results back into the computer where I'll do additional composition or mixing.

Now Maschine on the other hand is different. If you look at the interface there's a lot more to it than your standard controller. The fact that a mouse isn't required to do much of the work on the Maschine is a welcome step forward. Therefore for me maschine does have the best of both worlds - the workflow of an mpc alongside the integration with a computer and DAW.

It most certainly is a small advance in instrument/software design, and definitely so for people into mpc style sequencing. It won't be for everyone, or for most people for that matter, but it offers something unique most definitely.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie red ➑️
I have Battery, which I rarely use, and an MPC, which I do use. I personally don't like the sound of the MPC (for studio work I either use the digital outs or convert my sequences to midi files), and the independence of the MPC is of moderate benefit to me (though it is nice).

What I like most about the MPC is having a controller/interface that's designed specifically for the software that runs behind the hardware. It's the workflow of an MPC that makes composing a beat more intuitive and enjoyable. That's why I've never found buying some generic controller for use with battery or guru a good enough option. For the most part you're still ******* with the mouse and keyboard a whole lot.
interesting. I will be interested to hear user reports - perhaps it will be the revolution in the audio world as sliced bread was to the bakers and I'll be once again proved wrong.

Those smug bakers never let me forget.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My money will go towards Live 8 upgrade and APC40. I have a couple of NI products but they are simply too institutionalized as a company at this point for me to care. I guess you could say the same with Ableton but I like Ableton so there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds ➑️
I've yet to hear something from Native Instruments that's worth buying...
reaktor
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
for about the same price the Motu BPM software paired with say an mpd32 also
sounds intriguing.
i am going to watch both these products with interest.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
mpd32 + Motu BPM costs nearly the same as the NI Maschine here in Germany. And in my opinion the NI Maschine will be a better option than the mpd32+MotuBPM-Combo. With the Maschine you can build the whole drumpart of a Track without even touching the mouse of your computer. You can do so many things, like setting effect-automations without touching your DAW.
For me these things are every important, because you can use the Maschine like an instrument, without touching you computer...and still being integrated in the DAW with VST/AU and the possibilities to also use the Maschine as a midicontroller
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➑️
reaktor
All right, it's got some great possibilities. But for pure sound quality I would prefer Clavia, and ultimately an analog modular system.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnie red ➑️

On the other hand with the MPC, I still have to do a lot of work with the computer, whether prepping my samples for use in the MPC, or getting the results back into the computer where I'll do additional composition or mixing.

Now Maschine on the other hand is different. If you look at the interface there's a lot more to it than your standard controller. The fact that a mouse isn't required to do much of the work on the Maschine is a welcome step forward. Therefore for me maschine does have the best of both worlds - the workflow of an mpc alongside the integration with a computer and DAW.

It most certainly is a small advance in instrument/software design, and definitely so for people into mpc style sequencing. It won't be for everyone, or for most people for that matter, but it offers something unique most definitely.
This is exactly why I pre-ordered one...
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just under 2 weeks till the release date!!!

Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nova Musik said 3-5 days today...
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Sweetwater shipped mine out today.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolic ➑️
Sweetwater shipped mine out today.

Keep us updated!!!
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Keep us updated!!!
It seems pretty nice so far. I just got it yesterday and haven't had a lot of time to play around. I was easily able to route audio into the plug-in in Pro Tools and sample and edit sounds in Maschine. It comes with a lot of sounds, and getting around the kits and samples is easy, both in the plug-in and on the hardware.

The only negative thing I've encountered so far is that you are forced to program all the drums inside the Maschine environment. You can't use individual MIDI tracks in your sequencer to trigger the sounds. Everything has to happen inside the pattern and scene editor.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyvnd ➑️
My money will go towards Live 8 upgrade and APC40. I have a couple of NI products but they are simply too institutionalized as a company at this point for me to care. I guess you could say the same with Ableton but I like Ableton so there.
Me too!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Looked at this thing @ NAMM and got a 20 min demo.

Why do I want MORE software? Why do I want hardware that only works with one program? Why does anyone think NI stuff SOUNDS good? Have you listened to an EMU next to Kontakt?

Just some thoughts.

_origin
πŸ“ Reply