Quantcast
How to fit acapellas in time - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to fit acapellas in time
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
How to fit acapellas in time

Hi, I want to fit an acapella to my track it is at 140 bpm but I don't know what is the tempo of the acapella so i'm quite angry .

I'm using Mac with ableton live and logic pro.

Can you help me?

Thanks
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well all you can really do there is to find the BPM of the acapella. When I do that I just make up a beat in my head to the acapella and use a stopwatch to find the BPM.

I don't think there is any kind of magic app that will do this for you.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wax808 hit the nail on the head.

Its so weird that people get bitchy about having to put work into their own music.....

Mind boggling.

alexP
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use Traktor to make a 4-beat loop and dial in the BPM until it fits, then switch to a 32-beat loop and tighten the timing until that fits. The resulting BPM is pretty close but keep in mind the tempo can vary quite a bit from section to section during, say, a rock song where they are going by the tempo of the rhythm section as opposed to electronic/hip hop where they will be singing to a tight electronic beat. So it's sometimes best to chop the vocal into little pieces, which can be a bit of work.

The above method is even easier if you use the original version of the track (drums and all) to determine the BPM and then just go from there.
Deleted 231be8b
I find it easier loading the vocal into a sampler, adjusting the pitch and triggering it with the keyboard until it fits..

record it back as audio and pitch shift it back down to normal
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just drop in a click track and then find the peaks in the acapella waveform that hit on the downbeat. Now adjust the tempo until the peaks in the waveform line up with the click track. Shouldnt take too long.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
Its so weird that people get bitchy about having to put work into their own music.....
+100

And the weird thing to me is how many people forget to listen, use their ears.
If it sounds right, it is right, you don't need to match things to a grid.
For example, many vocal tracks are nowhere near as fast as 140bpm, so you might need to place the voice nearer 70bpm to make it work at the faster tempo.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
sometimes you can get into difficulty if the vocal doesnt start on the first downbeat.

Make sure you start there. Then make a track with some simple drum track and set the tempo lower than you think the vocal is - then increase the son tempo as you go. This will be much easier in Live. But if you do it in live you need to turn off warp function - otherwise you will be chasing your tail!

Its pretty elementary stuff to be honest...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
+100

And the weird thing to me is how many people forget to listen, use their ears.
If it sounds right, it is right, you don't need to match things to a grid.
For example, many vocal tracks are nowhere near as fast as 140bpm, so you might need to place the voice nearer 70bpm to make it work at the faster tempo.
Bang On !

Forget all about how it looks on the screen ! - its all about how it sounds and feels. If you can't feel the phrasing and rhythm then you're lost before you even get started.

It harder to place the tempo of a phrase if it starts with a pickup or is delayed after the beat - part of the solution is working out where in the bar the phrase was originally started - loop up the phrase - vary the tempo till it sits.

One thing I've found ( many years ago ) is that you can place vocal phrases on beats that it wasn't intended to be sung on - so try experimenting with where you place it in the bar.

Beer
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sometimes part of the beauty in using a computer to write is having that waveform to see. Lining things up of course is simply a starting point and should not dictate how the final result should sound. However for me it's alot quicker in getting to the final result rather than adjusting something until it sounds sync'd or grooves...this is especially true when you have an acapella that follows a different groove from verse to chorus etc. Easier for me to split it up in the daw, line things up and then take it from there audibly. In the end it's really up to a personal preferance.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah, any thing you do is totally fine, but I find a lot of people get locked into 'lining' things up.
The second thing to note.
The idea is generally to make your track sound like a real singer has sung it (rather than a sample).
And real vocal performances rarely line up to a grid.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Funny! I had an acapella once and couldn.t get the bpm's. I just made the track around it from scatch and played it straight thru the song.

Started with the rhodes, played the chords from beginning to end. Next the kick and snare via my MPC (took about 5 takes but I got it no quantize. Live shakers same thing.
After that everything was easy.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
There are many ways to skin a cat.....

Meathod 1:

stick the pella into logic

open up a new channel with a drum kit on it

press record

tap out a kick drum in time with the pella

once thats done open up the bpm plugin on the kick drum channel (under 'metering')

then press play

this will give you a rough bpm of what you just played in

change the overall time of the project to this new bpm

delete the kick drum that you just recorded in

put in a simple drum loop from apples loop section

then just listen and speed up slightly or slow down slightly the bpm until it fits nicely to the pella

Meathod 2:

the acappella must of come from a finished track originally

get a copy of this track

stick it into logic

then use the bpm finder (as explained earlier)

done
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thank you so much
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A lot of acapellas are rough tracks.. They will not fit to an exact grid. They maybe recorded the verse and stopped the tape for 5 seconds and then recorded the chorus etc so even if you match part of the track there is no absolute gaurantee the rest will match - I know this from experience of dropping acapellas over tracks while DJing over the years.

Just like beatmatching for DJs you need to train your ears to adjust on the fly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Open the file with a media player.

put "bpm counter" in google and hit pretty much any link.

start tapping the space bar.

et voila...

Start a project at that tempo and nudge the file "on the beat". If you want to put it in an existing project you'll have to stretch it which is pretty straight forward with both BPMs known...
Old 11th February 2009
Deleted 8456dd3
Yes..
You need to cut each word and place them manually on the track where you think it fits best.
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by djreality ➑️
Hi, I want to fit an acapella to my track it is at 140 bpm but I don't know what is the tempo of the acapella so i'm quite angry .

I'm using Mac with ableton live and logic pro.

Can you help me?

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Assuming the vocal was originally recorded into a DAW with a click track, this should be quite easy and take you 5 min to do.. however, if the vocal was recorded on 2inch tape etc, that might be a bit more difficult. I did a remix for Cindy Lauper once, and it was all recorded with a live band onto analog tape. Needless to say it was very difficult to sync to a 4/4 beat as the drummer was a bit off and the tape machine drifted slightly. That took a bit of time, chopping etc ... to get it to finally work as a club mix.

Good luck
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Or use cubase tap the tempo with the space bar to get really close and the audiowarp tools to fine adjust later on

The other thing is what style of music is it for ?

An electro house sort of vocal is very bi ba bi ba ba ba adn strict accenting the beats where as a trip hop kind of vocal maybe really floaty and spacey with looooooooong held notes you would hit these two styles completely differently when syncing an accapella so it how you accomplish this really depends on the material in question

Ben
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
magnetic ruller + audio snap in sonar 8 pe,
few other softwares can do that,

or a sampler + time strech
most softwares and hardware samplers have time strech,
but they all sound diferent.

or time strech + time ruller in any decent audio software
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Digital Performer has really good tools for extracting tempo from sound bites. The problem I have when doing stuff like this is that a cappella vocals are invariably rubato (unless they recorded with a click track or something... but that would be too easy). I usually cut out 2 or 4 bars of vocals that seem to be somewhat representative of the tempo I want to work with, and extract the tempo from them. Once I have a tempo, I'll cut the entirety of the vocal track every 2-4 bars on the downbeat and then time stretch each clip so that they all have the same tempo. Its a pain in the butt, but I prefer doing the work over having a track with a meandering tempo.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i once tried to do a remix of mercedes benz by janis joplin-now that was a bitch to sync up.
i literally had to cut it into words and syllables to make it line up in the daw.........
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
you might sing a guide to the new track and try to vocalign the acapella after cut n' pastin the lines roughly to their new spot.or do the sampler thing like someon mentioned before.Sometimes it then makes you play around for fun, which can lead to new ideas. .0)
Old 6th July 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 ➑️
Well all you can really do there is to find the BPM of the acapella. When I do that I just make up a beat in my head to the acapella and use a stopwatch to find the BPM.

I don't think there is any kind of magic app that will do this for you.
There is a website that helps you find the bpm. Just type 'find my bpm' in google and its the Tap Tempo link, all you need is a keyboard and the master track
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The rare Necrodundant has been spotted, wherein a nine-year-old post is excavated only for already-posted information to be added
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

I mean, sure, in 2018 you can get a phone app that'll tell you everything you need to know, but that's a slippery slope to ideocracy. Therefore I'd suggest a collaboration.

Let's say song-A is the aCapella, and song-B is the beats on which you want to layer song-A.

1. Enlist one of your friends (you know which one) to dance to song-A, and record the performance with your phone's camera.

2. Play song-B in your DAW, while watching the dancing video on mute.

3. Adjust your DAW's BPM until it looks like he/she is dancing to your beats.

4. Layer away. Nudge song-A where needed, if it starts getting off timing.

5. Without getting permission, use your friend's dancing as the video for your YouTube upload. Edit the video if needed for timing.

Last edited by PuggaMahone; 6th July 2018 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Can't count apparently
Old 6th July 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I just Google the song and BPM, that usually points to a website for djs that will list the bpm. Then I set the audio files BPM in cubase and then hit musical mode, job done.

My second method is to load into serato and mix it with a track which is at the bpm I want it to be at then rerecord the acapella into my daw
Old 6th July 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Next topic should be β€œHow to fit posts in time”
Old 6th July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3picentre ➑️
My second method is to load into serato and mix it with a track which is at the bpm I want it to be at then rerecord the acapella into my daw
You beat me, done it with traktor scratch pro before, and a little edit, cut and drag here and there in the daw afterwards...

BTW this used to be freeware, I still have the freeware version. MixMeister

Run the instrumental through it, it is usually the same tempo as the acapella.
Old 7th July 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesy303 ➑️
A lot of acapellas are rough tracks.. They will not fit to an exact grid. They maybe recorded the verse and stopped the tape for 5 seconds and then recorded the chorus etc so even if you match part of the track there is no absolute gaurantee the rest will match - I know this from experience of dropping acapellas over tracks while DJing over the years.

Just like beatmatching for DJs you need to train your ears to adjust on the fly.
indeed. i do it by trial and error.

once i'v got it somewhere near speed using a timestretch function in an editor, i'll send the file to the sampler, and cut it into breaths from there,

once it's somewere near i'll adjust the tempo of the track to suit, 142.000 will become 141.456 bpm. just to make things fit
πŸ“ Reply