Quantcast
Processing vocals with synths? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Processing vocals with synths?
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Processing vocals with synths?

Hi guys- I am curious as to what you can do to a vocal by running it through a synths oscillators?
I know you filter the vocal but what else can you do to it?
Can you pitch bend it?
PWM it?
Thanks.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➑️
Hi guys- I am curious as to what you can do to a vocal by running it through a synths oscillators?
I know you filter the vocal but what else can you do to it?
Can you pitch bend it?
PWM it?
Thanks.
Pitch Bend - no
pwm - no.

Both of these are functions of an oscillator, which generates sound, it doesn't treat signals. You can't run a sound through oscillators.

Korg ms-20 has pitch to V conversion so you could track the pitch of a voice and drive an oscillator with that. They famously treated Alison Goldfrapp's voice through an ms-20 (I'm pretty sure) on Goldfrapp's 1st album.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am curious as to what you can do to a vocal by running it through a synths oscillators?
Can you pitch bend it?
PWM it?
No and no.
Oscillators are sound producers rather than processors.
A vocal is basically audio, so you can't change the audio pitch or character unless you vocode it, or use the vocal as one part of the ring modulator signal.
You can use a synth's oscillators and a vocal for the two signals needed to ring modulate. That way you will perceive some pitch changes.
You can also use oscillators as a modulator to a filter which might be processing a vocal.
You can do some whacky things with a Frequency Shifter, but then you are getting into modular synthesis.
IME, most of these vocal processes invariably sound robotic or Sci-Fi in a not very cool, but comical way.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Roland made that "Variphrase 9000" box or whatever it was called that purportedly allowed some of that, although I'm not sure how much of it was live/on the fly and how much required being sampled-in first. Any event, they put that "technology" in some of their subsequent instruments.

I never used it, heard it was rather challenging to get one's head around, but recall the touted feature set. I'm not vouching for it, just pointing it out.

Happy motoring,

Vic
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can ring-modulate the input signal with an oscillator - this effect was used to create the Dalek's voice in "Dr. Who". Although trivial to implement in the digital domain (ring modulation = multiplication of the signals), this feature isn't too common on modern VA's - of those that I know, only Novation Nova has it. And if you have a modular synth or the Moog FreqBox, you can hard-sync the oscillator to the input signal, modulate its' frequency or amplitude etc.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok. I guess its not a synth.
What I am talking aboutis stuff like on Thom Yorkes The Eraser or at the end of The Presets Pretty Little Eyes where it sounds like a vocal flanging in pitch but it also somehow sounds synth like.
I do not know what itis.

Skip Divide of the Eraser has an example of this.
Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
actually, with the pitch tracking function of the external signal processor of the MS-20, you can do all of that. It's pretty amazing, actually, the voice can basically play the synthesizer. I did this the other day, maybe I'll post an mp3.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PLease do.

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstu102 ➑️
actually, with the pitch tracking function of the external signal processor of the MS-20, you can do all of that. It's pretty amazing, actually, the voice can basically play the synthesizer. I did this the other day, maybe I'll post an mp3.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
The V-Synth is pretty amazing for processing vocals. I've run vocals through the sideband filters on it before and come up with some great results. I don't know exactly what it does, but it sounds good. thumbsup

If you put your vocal samples into the V-Synth you can pitchbend them to your heart's content.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
really\?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptar ➑️
The V-Synth is pretty amazing for processing vocals. I've run vocals through the sideband filters on it before and come up with some great results. I don't know exactly what it does, but it sounds good. thumbsup

If you put your vocal samples into the V-Synth you can pitchbend them to your heart's content.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
You can pitch bend any sample.
Sometimes it's going to effect the speed of playback of course, except in the case of the Roland VP9000.
And the MS20.......
Isn't that the voice controlling the synth rather than the synth controlling the voice?
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
really\?
vsynth is a ridiculous vocal / wav processor.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
vsynth is a ridiculous vocal / wav processor.
Ummm..do you mean that in a "bad Harry Potter" kind of way...or a "it's so good it's ridiculous" way..?
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
So good it's ridiculous. I still don't get why V-Synths can get picked up so cheaply still, they're AMAZING. I'm surprised everyone still hasn't caught on.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So good its ridiculous.

Plug in mic
Record your vocal
Apply vocal wav to patch
go to step modulator
draw in pitch mod w/finger
press C3
presto, vocal now pitched

but wait!
press other keys, then pop a chord. AHHHHH.

Now, can this be duplicated by other means? probably. BUT. it is so easy to do.
Attached Files

coleridge.mp3 (570.8 KB, 1634 views)

πŸ“ Reply