Quantcast
programming tips - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
programming tips
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
programming tips

I've been looking for a guide to programming certain families of sounds on subtractive synths. The JX-8P has a great choir sound, but I can't figure out how to even get in the ball park. I figured tri waves, noise, vibrato and lots of resonance, but I can't get the sound right.

also,
I figured out brassy attack with pitch envelopes,
I got decent bow attacks with PW envelopes,
but how do you program chiff attacks for reed sound?
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
so did I just ask a total noob question or what
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
its interesting there is actually a pretty poor amount of resources when it comes to patch design IMO....

A lot of books talk mostly about the technicalities of a filter and envelopes and LFOs - but then skimp on actual practical synth programming tips.

I think there is a gap in the market for a really good patch designer to write a book/manual.

A classic resource - although I dont rate it that highly - is the SOund on SOund 'Synth Secrets' series of articles - you can find on Home: Sound On Sound music recording technology magazine. Its quite interesting - but gets a bit bogged down in boring scientific aspects - when really what most want IMO is good inspiring synth patch ideas...

Anyways - there is hope - and its here:

DVD sound design Masterclass by ROB PAPEN sound designer & virtual synthesizers.

He has been working on it for years and if it ever sees the light of day - I have heard it will be very comprehensive...
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
HOLY CRAP! That SOS series is vast, Thanks for posting that! The Papen DVD looks like it could be pretty cool, but I don't want to wait till 09.

I wish the William H at Inside Synthesis would pump out more videos, he's pretty helpful. Most of the stuff that I found from google searches were just what you said, "here's a filter, here's what a filter does"
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Since you have an evolver, check out the Definitive Guide to Evolver
Evolver.html

Although it's basically an extended interactive manual, it takes you through building some basic patches which you can build on yourself. A really great guide all in all.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I found Welsh's synthesizer cookbook useful (I think that is the correct name, I do not have it handy to check).

Cheers,
Mihaly.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihaly ➑️
I found Welsh's synthesizer cookbook useful (I think that is the correct name, I do not have it handy to check).

Cheers,
Mihaly.
god damn that guy!

I have a saved search for Oberheim and every time he posts his damn manual ebay sends me messages making me think there is a new synth on the bay because he pulls the 'useful for Oberheim' trick in the title....

That said - I just looked at the blurb - and it has now peaked my interest...

I think my interest to learn more synthesis techniques may over-ride my irritation of his cheeky marketing strategy....

Mihaly - how extensive are the practical synthesis examples? Is it worth the money - at prob Β£20 it would cost me....?
πŸ“ Reply