Quantcast
A mad challenge - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A mad challenge
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A mad challenge

Who is up for this - I know people are busy and stuff but in case anyone was up for it

Loads of talk about soft vs hard etc etc and lots of people with loads of synths and setups.

We would need a moderator who would load everything and know the answers but i reckon we should all club in and sample a synth patch be it soft or hard and then collate a collection of about 20-30 maybe more samples in a thread and then do a fully blind test.

From stabs to simple saws whooshs 909 kicks 808 snares etc and then all people have to do is answer soft or hard

Id be really interested to see the answers and how many people knew the difference with such a broad selection.

I'm not talking about summing and mixing itb vs otb, just straight uncompressed samples.

Anyone fancy it ?

Really we could do with creating a shed load of em for a good result

Ben
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
It's not that important.
Make some music instead.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
It's not that important.
Make some music instead.
I know its not,hell id use a kids recorder if it got the job done,just really curious if all the really anti software people could tell the difference,hell i wonder how many people on here could actually tell the difference between the holy grail synths like the moogs,cs,mks, etc etc.

Was a thought i was bored cooking tea in the kitchen and the thought came to my mind,

Ya right i do need to write some music instead hahahaha
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll bite, here are 2 files from a synth that exists in analog and emulation. But which is it? Real or vsti?

Sound 1: Sound1.wav

Sound 2: Sound2.wav

Both come from the same synth, I took a screen capture or photo of the synth settings (not giving any clues as to the synth).
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hhhhhhmmm

VSTi and ill go for the arturia jupiter 8
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok I'll play. So tell me...Is this hardware or software?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/2/.../synthline.mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 ➑️
hhhhhhmmm

VSTi and ill go for the arturia jupiter 8

arturia jupiter 8??? Are you kidding? lol if it sounded that good I'd buy it, as it is arturia sounds about as analog as my dvd player he he.

Listen again on good speakers (sorry if I sound rude, I don't mean to)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman ➑️
Ok I'll play. So tell me...Is this hardware or software?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/2/.../synthline.mp3
I would say software.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think a fun challenge might be posting analog or software patches and asking the question--can it be duplicated in the other realm?

Its possible to make analog sound sw, and sw to sound analog. But I think its also possible to go places where there is no crossing over, and those places are the interesting places (for me).

edit: in keeping w/the spirit of op, a link I've posted before but here it is again
election day.mp3

100% out of box. some could be duplicated itb, but some I'm not sure how I would be able to.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
I think a fun challenge might be posting analog or software patches and asking the question--can it be duplicated in the other realm?

Its possible to make analog sound sw, and sw to sound analog. But I think its also possible to go places where there is no crossing over, and those places are the interesting places (for me).
I think this is an interesting perspective and I agree. There are sounds I could make with software that I think it would be pretty hard to replicate with hardware (analog) and vice versa.
πŸ“ Reply