Quantcast
What Drum-Synths/ Machines use George Clinton in the 80s? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Drum-Synths/ Machines use George Clinton in the 80s?
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
What Drum-Synths/ Machines use George Clinton in the 80s?

Hello Gearslutz, A client wants a Instrumental ala Roger Troutman, DJ Battlecat or George Clintons Solo-Stuff (like Atomic Dog). Did anyone what Drummachines George Clinton uses on his "Computer Games" LP, I love that bass and especially clap-sound? I thought it was a Linn drum, but it sound sdifferent.. here is an example: YouTube - George Clinton - Atomic Dog Thank you very much for any tipps for that sound, Jermaine
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I don't have very much experience with the older drum machines. If not the Linn, maybe Sequential Drumtraks could get the sound you're after
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I always assumed it was one of the Oberheim machines, can't remember the model names. DMX?
I definitely worked with people who had those sounds on an Obie machine.
Also, around that time some of the Clinton crowd started mucking around with a Fairlight.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
thanks to all of you for your help! yes, a oberheim was very popular at this time!
Old 26th September 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine โžก๏ธ
Hello Gearslutz, A client wants a Instrumental ala Roger Troutman, DJ Battlecat or George Clintons Solo-Stuff (like Atomic Dog). Did anyone what Drummachines George Clinton uses on his "Computer Games" LP, I love that bass and especially clap-sound? I thought it was a Linn drum, but it sound sdifferent.. here is an example: YouTube - George Clinton - Atomic Dog Thank you very much for any tipps for that sound, Jermaine

I thought it was a Sequential Circuits Drumtraks Machine. That little monster was the underrated accomplice to many of those early 1980 funk bands. The DMX and the Linn were others.
Old 5th August 2017
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
It was said that they reversed the Roland tr-606, which makes since cause of the characteristic of its sound. If u revers it forward on the beginning of the extended version where it's just the tr606 and the prophet right before the real drums come in u can tell it's a tr606. The sweep sound with the drum machine is the prophet5.
๐Ÿ“ Reply