Quantcast
Loopers, loopers, loopers, loopers, loo... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Loopers, loopers, loopers, loopers, loo...
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Loopers, loopers, loopers, loopers, loo...

Well you get the idea. I'm looking for the ultimate looper, and while i'm sure there have been threads about this, I am wondering what experiences you guys might have with the Boss RC-50 and the Electro Harmonix 2880.

I absolutely love everything about the 2880, asside from the fact that there is no 'undo' function (why do companies leave out the one feature that would make it dominate any other?)

the RC-50 i've heard is great, minus the midi sync function, which I don't really care about.

Old 6th February 2009
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've been jonesing for one of these now that they are re-issued...

Rang Plus
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
RC 50 is great!

I've loved mine!

I bought it about 2.5 yrs ago. It's great. Sound quality is awesome, the looping is precise and smooth.

I wouldn't even think of trading it in, and for the price, you can't go wrong.

(As long as you don't mind the lacking midi function! Which you don't, so go buy with confidence!)
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're OK with a computer, I'd wait until Live 8 is out. Don't use Live 7, it's missing a good looper workflow.

In the end, it depends on what you want to do. I wanted to use Live because the converters in most loopers are horrid, I also reamp things and going DI into a SPDIF capable converter is my workflow, so Live8 should be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PELicanWord ➑️
Well you get the idea. I'm looking for the ultimate looper, and while i'm sure there have been threads about this, I am wondering what experiences you guys might have with the Boss RC-50 and the Electro Harmonix 2880.

I absolutely love everything about the 2880, asside from the fact that there is no 'undo' function (why do companies leave out the one feature that would make it dominate any other?)

the RC-50 i've heard is great, minus the midi sync function, which I don't really care about.

Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The ultimate looper, built by a looper for loopers has to be the Looperlative LP-1.

Looperlative Audio Products
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow that LP1 looks outstanding. I really like the user programable button set. I'm sure I could think of a million ways to use those. And if it's as MIDI friendly as it states, I might actually use it for MIDI. Does anyone know if it has an undo function?

I still am leaning toward the 2880 because of the faders/panning/bounce function. I was reading that to work around the lack of an 'undo', you can merely drop the gain on the loop you want to fix, and re-record over it.

Has anybody tried both of these units? I'm still so torn!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 ➑️
The ultimate looper, built by a looper for loopers has to be the Looperlative LP-1.
As dedicated loopers are concerned, I agree.

If one is willing to consider a non-dedicated box that can be programmed as you see fit to do looping as you see fit, and dozens of other audio effects besides, the Eventide H8000FW makes a monster looping device.

cheers,
Ian
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux ➑️
besides, the Eventide H8000FW makes a monster looping device.
?

We talking about realtime Looper like LexiconLamMan or Looperlative LP-1..

...you are very shure the H8000 can do it ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 ➑️

Looperlative Audio Products
I can't stand you guys sometimes. I'm finally getting my rig slimmed down and selling off excess hardware to simplify things. Now you've got to inform me of this awesome device, which I now really want but don't really need. Hell, I've already got an MPC and Ableton Live but that thing looks slick. thumbsup
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Im down sizing also. Can any one suggest a cheap looper?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFPhouse ➑️
?
We talking about realtime Looper like LexiconLamMan or Looperlative LP-1..
...you are very shure the H8000 can do it ?
Yes, very. The presets alone have many looper algorithms already, and when it comes time to do programming, the module called "sampler" offers 12 minutes of loop time and many options for loop record, playback, pause, pitch-shift, time-stretch, crossfade of loops, trigger by controller or audio input, monitoring during recording, record via trigger or threshold, queued rotation of loops, playback fade in/out of loops, scrubbing of loops, and so on.

So yes, the Eventide H8000FW can not only do it, but do it on a level few other devices can - and do it exactly the way you want it done, because you have total control over the algorithm. Then consider the other audio processing you can do on those loops - eq, dynamics, drive, temporal effects, diatonic harmonization with custom scales - it is loopers paradise.

cheers,
Ian
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
great info here. That Eventide does look like a monster! Too bad it's +5k$ I can only imagine how many hours could be dedicated to that unit, without even scratching the surface.

My main concern (as I think I've decided on the EH 2880), is the undo. I know with enough practice, it would probably be unnecessary, but would still like the option. I read on Harmony Central, one user explained a work-around being:

If you mess up a loop, you can drop the loop gain, and with the track selected, re-record over that loop with the feedback up so that you can still hear what your recording... does this sound right?

I'm currently messing with a piece of software that is great, but my laptop just can't quite handle it in addition to Reason and my VSTi's... plus it's fairly glitchy (I wouldn't really trust it for live performance)
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
...yes itΒ΄s really sad, with this Latenz/ and Power of this Computers because there are already a Monster Software -Looper out. Since Years !

AugustusLoop
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well...

a little update. I did some more research and decided on neither of the two I previously mentioned. I searched yesterday for an Electrix Repeater, and knowing how rare these are, I expected to find nothing. I found a few on ebay going for as much as $950 and $1200!

I finally found one 100 miles away for $500 The guy said he pluged it in one time, right when he got it, and hasn't touched it since! It doesn't have one sacratch on it, not even finger oil!

It sounds fantastic and is exactly what I was looking for and some!

Old 10th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Dear manufacturers: Make a better Looper

What I am looking for in a looper are the following:

1) Superb sound quality, class-A analog signal path. The a/d & d/a conversion should be 196kHz/24bit minimum. DSD conversion of 5.6 MHz/1bit would be preferable. (Outsource the converters to Korg, RME, or Metric Halo if necessary)

2) Rack-mount main interface with numerous balanced input & output connections, each input switchable to operate at +4dB line levels and -10dB levels. Allow for send and return inserts on each channel to allow for outboard processors if desired. (The Looper should focus only on looping, not on effects processing.)

3) Complete MIDI functionality. Companion MIDI foot controller available with easy operation of all parameters. (again, the design could be so that existing MIDI controllers could be used, such as the Moog MP201 foot pedal.)

4) Removable Flash Drive ports and/or fire wire connection for transfer of recorded loops to a computer.

5) Able to record loops of any length on top of loops of any other length or time signature. All of the popular functions seen on other loopers should be present: reverse, pitch, octave, start, stop, stack, etc...

6) Internal power supply for the rack unit and foot pedal.

7) Fully stereo operation.

8) Intuitive layout like a multitrack recorder and mixer.

9) Robust build quality the likes of which god has never seen.

10) $1,000 street price point for everything.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
wow thread respawn!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett Williams ➑️
This is where your demands become unrealistic (as far as I know). I'm having a hard time thinking of a device that meets your requirements, let alone at $1,000 USD. Maybe you need to compromise a little. Rackmounting is also one of the toughest requirements and it shouldn't be, I agree. Not enough rackmounted gear out there in my opinion.

I was also looking for a solution very similar to yours and came up with a somewhat crude but effective DIY "device":

Maybe you should consider a MacMini (or rackmount PC?) with Ableton Live, an audio interface and little mini touchscreen monitor. I've managed to fit this into a mobile package that's pretty convenient. Used heavy duty velcro on blank rack trays and panels so it can be removed when needed.

Of course you might not need all the extras I've got in there so a similar configuration could be considerably less bulky in a smaller rack case.

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett Williams ➑️
What I am looking for in a looper are the following:

1) Superb sound quality, class-A analog signal path. The a/d & d/a conversion should be 196kHz/24bit minimum. DSD conversion of 5.6 MHz/1bit would be preferable. (Outsource the converters to Korg, RME, or Metric Halo if necessary)

2) Rack-mount main interface with numerous balanced input & output connections, each input switchable to operate at +4dB line levels and -10dB levels. Allow for send and inserts on each channel to allow for outboard processors if desired. The Looper should focus only on looping, not on effects processing.

3) Complete MIDI functionality. Companion MIDI foot controller available with easy operation of all parameters. (again, the design could be so that existing MIDI controllers could be used, such as the Moog MP201 foot pedal.)

4) Removable Flash Drive ports and/or fire wire connection for transfer of recorded loops to a computer.

5) Able to record loops of any length on top of loops of any other length or time signature. All of the popular functions seen on other loopers should be present: reverse, pitch, octave, start, stop, stack, etc...

6) Internal power supply for the rack unit and foot pedal.

7) Fully stereo operation.

8) Intuitive layout like a multitrack recorder and mixer.

9) Robust build quality the likes of which god has never seen.

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
Maybe you should consider a MacMini (or rackmount PC?) with Ableton Live, an audio interface and little mini touchscreen monitor. I've managed to fit this into a mobile package that's pretty convenient. Used heavy duty velcro on blank rack trays and panels so it can be removed when needed.
I'd like to keep a computer out of the mix if possible. There is always some reason, somewhere, somehow, that the computer (both mac and PC) decides to crash at the worst possible time. I like the touchscreen idea. I'm not sure if the $1K price point is that out of range, if all we are talking about here is a dedicated looping device. Most manufacturers throw many other bells and whistles into their units and up the price for the additional features, when they are really not needed in the first place. What I want is a looper that sounds great, is made for pro audio, and is built to last.

The only looper out there that comes close to what I am talking about is the Looperlative , but I'm not sure if they are still being made.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux ➑️
Yes, very. The presets alone have many looper algorithms already, and when it comes time to do programming, the module called "sampler" offers 12 minutes of loop time and many options for loop record, playback, pause, pitch-shift, time-stretch, crossfade of loops, trigger by controller or audio input, monitoring during recording, record via trigger or threshold, queued rotation of loops, playback fade in/out of loops, scrubbing of loops, and so on.

So yes, the Eventide H8000FW can not only do it, but do it on a level few other devices can - and do it exactly the way you want it done, because you have total control over the algorithm. Then consider the other audio processing you can do on those loops - eq, dynamics, drive, temporal effects, diatonic harmonization with custom scales - it is loopers paradise.

cheers,
Ian
Really? Wow.

To your knowledge, are any of the other Eventide boxes capable of this? Like the DSP models, or H7600 or anything?
Old 11th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The RC-50 is my favorite. It is not perfect but nothing does what it does. If you want something simpler but still powerful wait for the RC-30. It will have 2 tracks and 3 hours of built in time, with effects. I am hoping for an RC-60 at Summer NAMM, during some countdown, or at NAMM 2012.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
True. I've had an RC-50 and its pretty good...the only looper I haven't sold. BUt I don't feel it's like "the Ultimate" or anything. The Repeater was really close.

But I still want to know from Aeonlux....

can any other Eventide units do looping and loop cueing? Like the Eclipse or the DSP4000 or anything else?
Old 11th April 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have much experience with loopers, and even far less experience with hardware examples. However, I frequently use Ableton Live's built in effect "Looper" to great effect in our live sets. To my brain it is extraordinarily easy to use and integrate with the rest of the goings-ons around it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check this place, it is the the looper's go to for this kind of thing;

Looping tools

I'm currently using a few loopers. My favourite is still the lo fi loop junky. While it doesn't have any A/D converters, (it's the only analogue looper out there), it would be a waste anyhow.

Least favourite is the KP3, of course. Handles bass like ****e.

Also, i am using the Red Sound Sound Bite, and honestly i can't even get my computer to sound as good. Due to it's high bite rate, (what goes in, is what comes out), the only problem with it being, it's limited space and beat sized samples. It really is for the dj circuit, but 2 (or 3) of these little babies would rock for sure. it has a good beat detection as well, and the pro allows for sample storage.

Your first guess, the 2880 seems really supreme. It doesn't have a redo, but since it has a dedicated mix down feature, and sample storage on the computer, (or is it a card?), it's pretty hot to trot. I only heard it once though, and while i can't say it sounded pristine, my judgement may be slightly biased since it had about 4 or 5 other pedals going through it at the time, and i was as drunk as a skunk on tequila.
πŸ“ Reply