Quantcast
keyboard that does synth and organ well - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
keyboard that does synth and organ well
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
keyboard that does synth and organ well

is there a keyboard, other than the nord stage, that does organ AND synth well?
or is the nord stage the only one that has a configurable and authentic organ, as well as a synth section?
I'm really leaning towards one, but the price is throwing me off a little.
Other option would be to use an organ module in addition to my synth. Any recommendations for good organ modules?
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did a session recently and the keyboard player had a roland vk8 organ module that sounded surprisingly good!Small module type box with drawbars,presets, and two speed leslie!

Dan P
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
If you already have a synth you like, Dan's VK8M suggestion is a good one, though I think the Voce V5/SpinII combination sounds a bit more authentic, especially the SpinII's Leslie simulation. As far as an all-in-one, the ONLY one that sounds at all decent (to my ears anyway) is the Nord Stage. Apparently no plans for a Nord Stage module or an Electro module with the updated (and therefore passable) Stage organ, but wouldn't it be nice... If you're into parlour tricks, a SpinII or other Leslie simulator might make some nice organ sounds out of your synth's patches. I found a hokey synth-organ patch on my Roland SH-32 (virtual analog synth) that sounds downright WOODEN coming through the Spin. Experiment! Your ears know best...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
what kind of question is this????

ive been looking for a bathtub with a good built in toaster...any recomendations?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
What kind of an answer is that?
The bathtub/toaster combo would be highly useless and highly dangerous, so there isn't one on the market AFAIK. The synth/organ combo is really useful and not dangerous at all, so that's why there are organ patches in every synthesizer I know of.
Perfectly natural if you ask me.

I'd suggest to go for a synth with two pairs of outputs. Just process the organ patches through a good Leslie emulation like the Dynacord CLS-22 or 222.

Or go for a synth and an organ module like the ones suggested (or a really cheap one like Orla DK-49) plus a Leslie emulation. This configuration is the most flexible one.

Of course you can try to get a D-50 with the "Screamin' B3" organ patches ROM card (can't remember the manufacturer - not Roland!). Amazing!

Oh, and you could check out the Plugiator! Plus CLS of course...

Cheers,
Bert
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kurzweil PC3x
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nord Lead 3 has some great Organ patches using FM synthesis, plus does very analogue sounding VA.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anything wrong with using the nord stage?? I have one and love it.

Great not just for the base sounds too, plug it in DI and throw on some vibrato or a little onboard grit.. its a great tool for getting almost there without an amp. Just wish they could put the mellotron sounds into it!

Russell
Old 12th April 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Synth/Organ solution XP-30 & VK8m

I use an XP-30 loaded with the "Vintage Synth" & "Keyboards of the 60's/70's" card MIDI'd to a VK8m.

I have played Korg, Nord & Roland clonewheels side by side on a gig with two other keyboardists and all them thought the Roland had the fattest amp models and the best overall sound. (I love the distortion and ring mod stuff!).

To mount the VK8m, I cut a flat piece of wood and velcro'd it to the left side of the XP30 (just behind the joystick), then velcro'd the VK8m on top of that at a slight angle for comfort (and to support the VK8m!).

I use a performance patch that splits the keyboard for SOLO/LOWER manuals and have the control pedal set to transmit CC #80 so I can turn the leslie fast/slow with a foot pedal.

When not using the XP30, I have my XV88 and do the same basic thing, except for the split (still trying to see if you can transpose the transmitted octaves in Performace, so far no luck!)
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblues ➑️
is there a keyboard, other than the nord stage, that does organ AND synth well?
Andromeda
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Get a PC3 (76) and a Ventilator or a V-Machine running VB3, you'll be all set then. That's my small gig rig, I can do just about anything with it.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Surprised that no one has yet mentioned the Hammond Suszuki XM-2 organ module. Seems to get better reviews than the Roland. Many people (incl me) do like the roland but there are those who steer you away, so you'd have to make up your own mind there.

Could also consider a Nord electro rack, especially if you've got synth sounds covered already.

Also the Ventilator gets a lot of love now and is probably better than any other Leslie Sim, from what I understand.

My advice is not to get too keen on your Hammond emulations if you can avoid it - there's a sickness there awaiting you which will end up costing $$$.

Go for a combo-organ instead. Much cheaper and a lot cooler!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I ended up getting the Hammond XK-1, which seems the perfect solution for me. I use it exclusively for Organ sounds (which IMO is the best emulation out there), and let my other synths do rest, and leave the toaster in the bathtub
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
DO try this Motion Sound thing!

Cheers,
Bert
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm ➑️
Kurzweil PC3x
That's the first thing that came to my mind! thumbsupthumbsup
Old 3rd October 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Looking for someone that repairs VOCE V5+ module...desperate! Don't want to buy a different clone and don't think the V5+ is still available.
I have 2 Leslie systems and don't want to buy a clone with built in Leslie...paying for something I don't want. I use a Dynacord DLS 223 in my main rack and a
Hammond Leslie stomp box for rehearsals because I don't want to haul my main rack to rehearsals!
But back to the V5+...had a V5 but the V5+ is far superior in sound, especially the percussion. There are V5's for sale all over the place but not one V5+!
Any information anyone can throw my way would be appreciated.
πŸ“ Reply