Mopho vs Pulse (bass topic) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mopho vs Pulse (bass topic)
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mopho vs Pulse (bass topic)

Hi,

can anyone share their opinion on bass capabilities of these machines?
I heard demos of both synths and they sound good, but I
can't try them in person here (Belgrade, Serbia). I'd like to hear your
opinion on hardness,thickness and deepness of the
sound,envelope speed and everything elese needed for good bass
sound. My interest is mainly house and electro house. Greetz,

Ivan.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
See one post down.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just pick one and learn it and you'll be able to make the kinds of sounds you want. They're both great phat synths with big sounds. No one can say if one's better than the other.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid ➑️
Just pick one and learn it and you'll be able to make the kinds of sounds you want. They're both great phat synths with big sounds. No one can say if one's better than the other.

Thanks for the input. I know they are good and I might end up getting both of them. My intention was not to start "which one is better" topic, maybe I should change the topic's name into Mopho AND Pulse . What interest me are the tonal differences between machines. For instance, does the third osc give Pulse an adge over the Mopho deepnes-wise? Or Mopho's sub-oscs compensate more than enough? Also, Pulse is often described as a little cold and hard sounding synth. How does Mopho compare (harder, softer or similar to Pulse when used as a bass module)?
Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks,

I.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you're looking specifically for a bass synth, the Pulse is definitely the way to go. MoPho sounds good, and isn't bad for bass sounds (2 sub osc's certainly help) but I don't like DCO's for bass at all. The pulse is a growly little beast that can hold its own against any synth ever made as far as bass sounds are concerned.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by implant ➑️
Thanks for the input. I know they are good and I might end up getting both of them.
I.
Bottom line, opinions on any board will be all over the place. The way to go for anyone who is serious is to hear them side-by-side. Obviously that's not practical in many cases. The best way if that's not viable is to buy both with the idea of selling one after getting to know them. If bought at reasonable prices, reselling one of them later won't have a high cost. That cost will be the price of first-hand enlightenment that is far better than opinions here that are quite frankly all over the place and often misleading. Use board posts only as rough guidelines, look for collective sentiment that smooths out the variabilty of opinion somewhat.

Prior to actual trial and better than opinions in posts are youtube clips, if several can be found to give some depth of perspective. From my experience the general character of the synth generally comes thru in video despite the sonic limitations of the medium.

Lastly, i don't know about that other synth but can vouch for the Pulse. Despite a nice deep collection of vintage analog i bought 2 Pulses new because they kick ass. Similar in some respects yet still different than vintage; ideal for dance and for other musics as well.

Accurate representation of some of the Pulse's character around the 2 minute mark:
YouTube - Everybody needs a 303 by Fatboy Slim
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Pulse looks very elegant:

but sounds not quite posh:

Index of /files/pulse

The MoPho looks quite yellow:

but sounds multicolored:

Index of /files/p1
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crooked_Man ➑️
If you're looking specifically for a bass synth, the Pulse is definitely the way to go. MoPho sounds good, and isn't bad for bass sounds (2 sub osc's certainly help) but I don't like DCO's for bass at all. The pulse is a growly little beast that can hold its own against any synth ever made as far as bass sounds are concerned.

Both of those synths have DCO's..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Elements ➑️

This is the kind of sentiment that by itself with no other contribution, only confuses the issue. All that matters is the tonal charcter and whether it appeals. Bringing up DCOs immediately evokes a certain bias amongst many who will in fact believe it whether true or not. Classic hearsay.

There seems to be some debate about this-the SOS review says they're analog-but who cares, it's not the bottom line it's a tangent. One of those things that assumes a life of it's own, aside from whether it sounds good. I give it a 10 in nerd gear debate value.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sorry to gijack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocT ➑️
The Pulse looks very elegant:

the pulse looooook beutiful man ! care to share with us ? heh i would love to paint my pulse that way, i thought of dooing the same with afew more synths, but im having hard time with the fonts .. is it a sticker on your pulse?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass ➑️
I give it a 10 in nerd gear debate value.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Elements ➑️
I always thought the Pulse has VCOs. However Waldorf never claimed in their publications VCO or DCO. They simply call them oscillators. Then I came across this SOS article/review:

HEART OF THE BASS?

It seems the answer is more complex. Doesn't DCO mean that the frequency is digitally controlled? Wolfram Franke states in the above article that some the Waveform are digitally controlled and but leaves out information about frequency control. Does anyone more information about this?

Edited the above after re-reading SOS: It still could be VCO or DCO. This does not really matter. I have four Pulses and no desire to sell them anytime soon...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos ➑️
the pulse looooook beutiful man ! care to share with us ?
Only the knobs are painted, the front plate has just been sandpapered and sealed with acrylic laquer.
The labeling has been printed on a decal foil. Not quite perfect; if you look quite close you'll see the margins:

Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer ➑️
Edited the above after re-reading SOS: It still could be VCO or DCO. This does not really matter. I have four Pulses and no desire to sell them anytime soon...
Pretty sure it's DCO, a digitally calculated/controlled pulse waveform which is then waveshaped with analogue components to get saw/triangle. They didn't want to say DCO as this has negative connotations. Novation pulled the same trick with the BassStation, all the docs just say 'oscillator', no mention of DCO/VCO.

The Pulse oscs are very static but they sound pretty heavy and bright, much larger sounding than other DCO synths I've got. Compared to VCO they sound a bit shrill in the higher octaves so I find it best to tone down normal filter tracking (+32) to say +16, if I'm aiming for traditional analogue sounds. Another trick I do is to apply a tiny bit of pitch modulation from the key tracking.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
Pretty sure it's DCO, a digitally calculated/controlled pulse waveform which is then waveshaped with analogue components to get saw/triangle. They didn't want to say DCO as this has negative connotations. Novation pulled the same trick with the BassStation, all the docs just say 'oscillator', no mention of DCO/VCO.

The Pulse oscs are very static but they sound pretty heavy and bright, much larger sounding than other DCO synths I've got. Compared to VCO they sound a bit shrill in the higher octaves so I find it best to tone down normal filter tracking (+32) to say +16, if I'm aiming for traditional analogue sounds. Another trick I do is to apply a tiny bit of pitch modulation from the key tracking.
I though the the Mopho had a 100% analog signal path. That is what it says on their site.

My Mopho manual says it has 2 analog oscillators. They may be digitally controlled though...

Regardless of the above. The Mopho is a great sounding synth. Bass sounds thick and deep!

Hugo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
HI- would any one be willing to post clips of the Mopho and or Pulse doing sub bass.
Really low wobble bass like in the Dub Step thread. Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggie ➑️
I though the the Mopho had a 100% analog signal path. That is what it says on their site.
yes the audio path is analog, while control is digital (OSC pitch, EG's & LFO's)
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Numerous posts arguing DCO or analogue, but it doesn't matter.
This should be a discussion based on sound and features.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They both have really nice basses. But i'm pretty sure the Mopho will have tighter basses. It's been a while since i've touched a Pulse, but from what i remember, the Mopho has tighter EGs. But the Pulse's are still pretty tight! I actually think the Pulse is probably closer to the Pro-One in sound than the Mopho is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If agressive and fast bass is what your'e looking for, DCO mono synth is a good choice.

In that contest, both Pulse and Mopho are very good; Pulse sounds more vintage and powerfull. Mopho...well.. sounds like a Dave Smith synth. Not bad, but not everyone's cup of tea.

I use to own 2 Pulses, wish I didn't sold them sometimes... Mopho is one serious synth and has character you willn't get from Studio Electronics or Moog mono's. And that's fine. What's bothered me is colour of some waveforms, Pulse expecially. Haven't heared decent (imo) PWM from DCO synth yet. Well, except of Juno familly maybe.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Some really good info here, thanks guys (special thanks to DocT for great
pics and sounds ). It's a tough choice - IMO,Pulse is a little more bass-heavy and hard. Mopho is not so bass-heavy but I think it is heavy enough for bass duties, has a better sounding filter and sounds warmer than Pulse,at least to my ears. I think I'll go with the Mopho first but I'll save some cash for Pulse too,combination of the two would be a really good combo.
Lives for gear

Here's a Mopho bass demo I did last year: http://audio-kinetic.iswiz.com/plaid...hobassdemo.mp3
It's been posted a few times here so you might have already heard it. It's definitely got some serious bass and I've got it up way too loud in the mix. It's got a nice range of useable sounds too. I can't compare it to a Pulse because unfortunately, I've never had the privilege of owning one.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Pulse is a hard and very subby bass. Good for punchy dance hits. I didnt think much of the filter but that is MHO...also - the sound didnt hold too well together when modulated...

MOPHO sounds much jucier in the filter and more low-mid sound. Listened to many demos and Im getting a MOPHO soon...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The Pulse is an absolute bass monster...
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd use Mopho more as a mid-bas machine. You don't want unpolished deep-bas... Pulse is really good here. 'Couse of more versatile filter, Mopho has to be good for punchy arpeggios. And, compared to Pulse, it's much more fun to play, at least to me. That sub oscillator is something really special, gives the character you have to love. Prophet 08? Can't do it. Usability? Oh well..

Someone mentioned comparation to Pro one. Pulse is nothing like Pro one, it tends more to that Mini sound. Long way to there, I know, but we're talking about these two synths.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by relis ➑️
I'd use Mopho more as a mid-bas machine. You don't want unpolished deep-bas... Pulse is really good here. 'Couse of more versatile filter, Mopho has to be good for punchy arpeggios. And, compared to Pulse, it's much more fun to play, at least to me. That sub oscillator is something really special, gives the character you have to love. Prophet 08? Can't do it. Usability? Oh well..

Someone mentioned comparation to Pro one. Pulse is nothing like Pro one, it tends more to that Mini sound. Long way to there, I know, but we're talking about these two synths.

You think Mopho doesen't go deep enough for some serious bass, or you just like Pulse's sub-bass more? I got the impression that both synths go really deep, Pulse little deeper (in clean and hard way), Mopho more wild
(in vintage way, but more clean than Juno 106,for example).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
... Pulse little deeper (in clean and hard way)... Mopho more wild...
That's the point.

I don't prefer Mopho nor Pulse, I like them equally, but......not enough to get eather of them.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm a Pulse sucker. In fact, I've got two of those. The only thing I don't particularly dig is the filter on the Pulse, which sounds a bit too clean.

If you want to achieve a minimooog-type of sound, you' d probably get closer with a Pulse than with a Mopho.

Me, I'm not fond of the DSI sound.
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam ➑️
I'm a Pulse sucker. In fact, I've got two of those. The only thing I don't particularly dig is the filter on the Pulse, which sounds a bit too clean.

If you want to achieve a minimooog-type of sound, you' d probably get closer with a Pulse than with a Mopho.

Me, I'm not fond of the DSI sound.

Well, I need variety of bass sounds so I plan to get them both. Mopho sounds way more aggressive compared to original Prophet 5, can't comment on Prophet 08 or Evolver, never tried them in person. Judging by internet demos only, I think Mopho is more into Pro One's territory than Prophet's.
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Say what?

You have got to be ****ing me.
Quote:
Well, I need variety of bass sounds so I plan to get them both. Mopho sounds way more aggressive compared to original Prophet 5, can't comment on Prophet 08 or Evolver, never tried them in person. Judging by internet demos only, I think Mopho is more into Pro One's territory than Prophet's.
πŸ“ Reply