Mopho vs Pulse (bass topic)
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➑️
Say what?

You have got to be ****ing me.

Why? It's been a while since I played Prophet 5, but I remember it as being a beautifull sounding instrument, trully a classic. I'm not saying that Mopho can compare to Prophet 5 or Pro-One (few synths can), it's just that Mopho is poor man's Pro-One more than poor man's Prophet 5 (at least to my ears).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok. sorry.

Made a quick demo of mono P5 sounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by implant ➑️
Why? It's been a while since I played Prophet 5, but I remember it as being a beautifull sounding instrument, trully a classic. I'm not saying that Mopho can compare to Prophet 5 or Pro-One (few synths can), it's just that Mopho is poor man's Pro-One more than poor man's Prophet 5 (at least to my ears).
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ok. sorry.

Made a quick demo of mono P5 sounds.

No problem .Where is the demo, I can't find any links?

Yeah, great demos (although sound quality could be a little better), thanks!
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by implant ➑️

Yeah, great demos (although sound quality could be a little better), thanks!

Talk about ticky-tacky. The sound's fine and they're good examples. You've gotten GREAT feedback in this thread.
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass ➑️
Talk about ticky-tacky. The sound's fine and they're good examples. You've gotten GREAT feedback in this thread.

Yes, they are great examples of actually using a Mopho in a song - sorry if I hurted anyone's feelings, that wasn't my intention. English is my second language and I sometimes forget about little nuances of another language. I hope that Mopho will arrive next Sunday, I'll post my impressions if anyone's interested. Thanks again to everyone for taking part in this discussion .
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
After a whole month of waiting, Mopho is finally here. I'll concentrate on the Mopho's bass, because that's what this topic is about.
In the studio where I work we have some well-known bass machines, including Juno 60 and 106 and I compared Mopho with them (used 60s and 106s are in the same price range as the new Mopho, at least here). Mopho is just a little bit thinner and softer than Junos (to my ears), but I'm talking nuances here - it goes suprisingly deep for such a small machine. Also, in the track I used for test Junos were recorded through Avalon 737 (havn't had a time to do real A/B test or to record Mopho through Avalon, will do it in the next couple of days) and I guess that Avalon would give Mopho that extra punch. Mophos' sub-bass has a nice, rubbery quality to it ; Junos are more hard but not as round as Mopho.
One of the great features of Mopho is it's filter; I can't think of anything in this price range that can compare to it. It sounds liquid and warm, more on the "clean" side but can get dirty (depends on the input). All in all, I'm happy with Mopho and I got just what I expected from it - good bass module that can be also used for fx,sequences,leads and as a filter box. Greetz,

I.
Old 12th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
@DocT:

your mp3s of mopho are BRILLIANT!!!!! is it factory presets, or your own sound patches?

and I hear lots of stereo in your demos, do you manage it with the DAW, or is the tetra stereo capable?

(could be great to have in my live setup : 2 mono parts for bass and sounds parts (2 separate jacks out), and 1 stereo part for leads (2 linked jack outs)...)

damn this beast goes deap, and can be harsh or round too!!!!

thanks a lot for your genius link, I'm bought!!

(going for the tetra I guess)

cheers
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrejumo ➑️
your mp3s of mopho are BRILLIANT!!!!! is it factory presets, or your own sound patches?
Thanks. I made most of the demos while working (among a few other people) on Mopho's factory presets. I don't remember if all of my sounds made it into the synth, but quite a lot should be there. If not, it's quite easy to make your own sounds with MoPho/Tetra.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
thanks mate, I had another listen and, while liking the mopho's sound, I also really like some of your compositions with it, even if it's quickly-done tests!!!

I have another question about the mopho:

ARE THE POTS AS CRAPPY AS THE EVOLVER's ????

I mean, I don't care if it's plastic, and indentated, but does it happen to make erratic value jumps like the evolver, that makes it quite unuseable in a live situation?????

I'm about to buy 2 units (because the tetra being crappy for now in multitimbral mode),

but if the pots are the same as the Evo, I won't buy that crap even if the sound is great,

I already have great sounding synths at home, I just want little viable analog synths for my live shows... (need for at least 2 multitimbral parts, midi, patch memory with program change ability...)

Thanks in advance!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm about to buy 2 units (because the tetra being crappy for now in multitimbral mode)
Care to elaborate more? I haven't experienced any problems with combo mode, only with the Edit B thing on the editor, and there's an easy work-around for that.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I found this quote on the monome forums about DSI tetra:

ABOUT MULTI MODE, not COMBO :

Quote:
(...)
If you control Tetra (changing parameters) in Multi Mode with an external controller/sequenzer you've completly(!) no feedback on the device (display) of what you are doing. It feels like walking through a labyrinth in completely darkness...
When i wrote that problem to DSI they answered: "We didn't know what to display in multi mode, so we thought its better to display nothing". (...)And the answer for a new OS is always (like above): "It should be out in a couple months." But this answer is comming now since many months... this is a verrrry long time if you thought you really bought 4 Mophos in one device - but in the reality you can use only 1 (and this is without inputs).

------------------

Other problems in Multi Mode are:

- you can't do program/bank changes on the device itself. (...)

- you have only 1 (o-n-e) assignable encoder to tweak the patch (the other three are for channel 2,3,4)

- the potentiometers below (cutoff, resonance, etc) are controlling the master. You can't modify a seperate channel!

- if you do a program change (only possible with external control) - the switching between the patches makes often a very loud noise

(...)
Seems that in multimode, and using only the tetra's control surface, you loose the access to the different parameters, (I even read somewhere else that entering multi mode totally disabled the control panel pots, the master gain set apart...)

I though you could choose the part, then have all pots tweakable for this part, then choose another part, etc.

but no, you can't...

is it wrong????

that would be cool, it's the only thing preventing me from buying a tetra,

I'd like to have, ideally, with the tetra in multimode:

1st part => Bass line, with available cutoff, and other params
2nd and 3rd parts => Leads, with all available params too
4th part => fx sounds, idem, with all tweakable params

+ ability to send individual program changes to the different parts, simultaneously or not...
or ability to change individual parts programs on-the-fly...

cheers
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I found this quote on the monome forums about DSI tetra:

ABOUT MULTI MODE, not COMBO :

Seems that in multimode, and using only the tetra's control surface, you loose the access to the different parameters, (I even read somewhere else that entering multi mode totally disabled the control panel pots, the master gain set apart...)

I though you could choose the part, then have all pots tweakable for this part, then choose another part, etc.

but no, you can't...

is it wrong????

that would be cool, it's the only thing preventing me from buying a tetra,

I'd like to have, ideally, with the tetra in multimode:

1st part => Bass line, with available cutoff, and other params
2nd and 3rd parts => Leads, with all available params too
4th part => fx sounds, idem, with all tweakable params

+ ability to send individual program changes to the different parts, simultaneously or not...
or ability to change individual parts programs on-the-fly...

cheers
Guess I do most of the programming in the editor and automate a lot of the midi stuff so I haven't noticed a lot of the issues on the box itself. Hopefully we'll see a pretty significant firmware update in the (near) future to address this stuff!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
have you got solid info about this forthcoming update?

some say that it could take ages to be released...

and DSI site is a bit lacking in this info department IMHO...

I know the editor is great (even if could be apparently updated too),
but I'm aiming at a Tetra or 2 mophos only for Live purpose, where I NEED the parameters to be lively tweakable

I have the evolver, and its knobs are totally UNUSABLE in a live situation, they make erratic horrid value jumps, and even for programmation in the studio I find it a pain in the *** to use such encoders...

I hope the tetra or the mopho's encoders aren't the same as the evolver's... (I don't matter if it's plastic, tiny, indentated, etc. , but I don't want such erratic value jumps!!!!! )

thanks & cheers
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
have you got solid info about this forthcoming update?

some say that it could take ages to be released...

and DSI site is a bit lacking in this info department IMHO...

I know the editor is great (even if could be apparently updated too),
but I'm aiming at a Tetra or 2 mophos only for Live purpose, where I NEED the parameters to be lively tweakable

I have the evolver, and its knobs are totally UNUSABLE in a live situation, they make erratic horrid value jumps, and even for programmation in the studio I find it a pain in the *** to use such encoders...

I hope the tetra or the mopho's encoders aren't the same as the evolver's... (I don't matter if it's plastic, tiny, indentated, etc. , but I don't want such erratic value jumps!!!!! )

thanks & cheers
I used the Evolver VERY effectively for live for a good 6 years or so...with a MIDI controller.

No info on the update, but I'm pretty sure Chris/Pym mentioned they were working on it now, probably to coincide with when the Mopho KB starts shipping, as there are some new features for the sequencer amongst some other things.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshft ➑️
I used the Evolver VERY effectively for live for a good 6 years or so...with a MIDI controller.

No info on the update, but I'm pretty sure Chris/Pym mentioned they were working on it now, probably to coincide with when the Mopho KB starts shipping, as there are some new features for the sequencer amongst some other things.
Thanks,

indeed I was aware that one could use an external midi controller, but I have tons of them in my live setup, and I find it so much dumb to have to use a controller to control synths that already have their own (un-usable) pots...

anyway thanks for your input, I think I'll wait for the Tetra OS update before diving and buying 2 mophos, that, after another web research, appear to have the SAME CRAP KNOBS as the Evo's...

Cheers mate
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks,

indeed I was aware that one could use an external midi controller, but I have tons of them in my live setup, and I find it so much dumb to have to use a controller to control synths that already have their own (un-usable) pots...

anyway thanks for your input, I think I'll wait for the Tetra OS update before diving and buying 2 mophos, that, after another web research, appear to have the SAME CRAP KNOBS as the Evo's...

Cheers mate
For what it's worth, I've never experienced the fabled "crappy encoder" problem, and my first Evolver was from the first batch made. I do like pots a lot better, and thats where the MIDI controller came in, but heck, the Evolver has SO many features you should probably be using one anyway. I had a E-MU X25 for the job, and it did great.

Anyway, I think you should get Tetra, wait a while if you want, but as-is it's seriously fun, tiny footprint, and very powerful.
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To answer Tetra questions:

The Tetra does NOT use the same encoders as the Evolver or old Prophets. They are all detented encoders and have a much cleaner/more stable response. In addition I'm rewriting the entire encoder code base for the Mopho/Tetra/Prophet line. It's done for the Mopho Keyboard and is in beta for the rest of them. I'm a live tweaker myself and seriously, if I can't flick the knob and make it go all the way to the ends it just isn't usable. After stability that's my primary goal and I think people will be pretty happy with the results. Some preliminary stuff on by blog: Pym's DSI Dev

Multimode is also being looked at in detail, I'll give more updates on that as it gets more solidified. We're listening to the gripes on it and I'm paying a lot of attention to how it works on the synth in practice. I've been working on it in tandem with the Mopho Keyboard OS and realized it's going to need some more complex stuff to make it more intuitive and easy to use in Multi/Combo.

In addition, in the huge amounts of free time I have, I've been slowly working around some limitations of Max for Live to get a Mopho/Tetra patch going in there. I've got NRPNs working and figured out a workaround for Sysex communication using MIDI Remote Devices so that's coming sooner or later as well.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➑️

The Tetra does NOT use the same encoders as the Evolver or old Prophets. They are all detented encoders and have a much cleaner/more stable response. In addition I'm rewriting the entire encoder code base for the Mopho/Tetra/Prophet line. It's done for the Mopho Keyboard and is in beta for the rest of them. I'm a live tweaker myself and seriously, if I can't flick the knob and make it go all the way to the ends it just isn't usable. After stability that's my primary goal and I think people will be pretty happy with the results. Some preliminary stuff on by blog: Pym's DSI Dev

Multimode is also being looked at in detail, I'll give more updates on that as it gets more solidified. We're listening to the gripes on it and I'm paying a lot of attention to how it works on the synth in practice. I've been working on it in tandem with the Mopho Keyboard OS and realized it's going to need some more complex stuff to make it more intuitive and easy to use in Multi/Combo.

In addition, in the huge amounts of free time I have, I've been slowly working around some limitations of Max for Live to get a Mopho/Tetra patch going in there. I've got NRPNs working and figured out a workaround for Sysex communication using MIDI Remote Devices so that's coming sooner or later as well.
a m4l patch working with the tetra or mopho would be great
Old 13th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I recently sold my DCO based pulse pluse

much much prefer my tetra

the pulse is good for sub basses and deep resonant attacks but its oscillators have a weird sort of organ-ish tone which never sounded great once you open the filter

go with the mopho

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996...dorfpulse.html

Interview at the bottom with Waldorf designer Wolfram Franke , he specifically says pulse is DCO , oscillator is clocked digitally
Old 14th April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The Tetra does NOT use the same encoders as the Evolver or old Prophets. They are all detented encoders and have a much cleaner/more stable response.
thanks a lot, your quote seems like ear candy to me

I guess I'll go for the tetra, as 2 mophos will be the same price for just less voices (but more pots...)

sorry I'm out of topic...

cheers!
πŸ“ Reply