Quantcast
My Dave Smith Mopho review is up! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Dave Smith Mopho review is up!
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My Dave Smith Mopho review is up!

Just wanted to let everyone know that my review for the Dave Smith Mopho is up on Trax Music's site. This is our first hardware review. I've done software reviews for the site for several years, so it was nice to do some hardware bits for a change. Enjoy!

Traxmusic, pro audio reviews Β» Audio Archive Β» Dave Smith - Mopho review (HW)

Devon
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
top notch!

really good review. Unfortunately.. i cant comment on whether or not it had an effect on making me want to/not want to buy it..... i allready have one

but good review there!
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
has anyone seen the Honky Mopho?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the kind words. It's a huge sounding synth! Now I want a Prophet 08....

Devon
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nice review, between this review and my own findings, I think im going to pick one up as soon as there are funds available. Gotta get me a mic and new chair first. :D
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
by the way, how does the Mopho compare to the Evolver? Would there be a lot of overlap if I were to get both?
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You are very right about the knobs, which I think are the only downside to this synth beside being yellow and ugly.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosWhenTwisted ➑️
by the way, how does the Mopho compare to the Evolver? Would there be a lot of overlap if I were to get both?
The evolver can get any of the sounds from the mopho. The mopho has the two analog oscillators, but not the digital ones (from the Prophet-VS)
The evolver is great. I just coaxed a great 303 sound out of it.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbow73 ➑️
The evolver can get any of the sounds from the mopho. The mopho has the two analog oscillators, but not the digital ones (from the Prophet-VS)

I disagree, I think the mopho has a different more smooth sound than the evolver, The sound of the mopho actually surprised me, realy smooth and tight.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSteven ➑️
I disagree, I think the mopho has a different more smooth sound than the evolver, The sound of the mopho actually surprised me, realy smooth and tight.
The only Mopho clip I've heard so far was terrible. A lot of people seemed to like that clip, but I think it sounds horrible. My question to everyone here is: can the Mopho do acid? Slides? Accents? Filter? I'm interested in an acid machine that isn't trying to sound exactly like a 303... would a Mopho fit the bill?

Also, the Evolver has the same digital samples/oscillators from the Prophet VS? Does it have similar routing capabilities? Maybe I've overlooked those things...
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
msl
Lives for gear

Good review, I'm very happy with my Mopho and really dig its sound. My only complaint is the lack of power switch which is a real pia, the knobs don't bother me too much nor the colour. I actually like the color, at least its not black!

I don't think its an ideal machine for acid, if you want 303 type stuff there are many other better options, Future Retro, Xoxbox, etc.
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 37a7726
I just picked up a Mopho to handle bass duties for an upcoming Live show. I'm in love.. I am completely impressed by this little guy & kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I have a feeling this is now going to be my go to bass synth.
Old 4th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selidor ➑️
The only Mopho clip I've heard so far was terrible. A lot of people seemed to like that clip, but I think it sounds horrible. My question to everyone here is: can the Mopho do acid? Slides? Accents? Filter? I'm interested in an acid machine that isn't trying to sound exactly like a 303... would a Mopho fit the bill?

Also, the Evolver has the same digital samples/oscillators from the Prophet VS? Does it have similar routing capabilities? Maybe I've overlooked those things...
Well, as long as you have a 303 style sequencer, then any analog synth can do acid.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selidor ➑️
I'm interested in an acid machine that isn't trying to sound exactly like a 303... would a Mopho fit the bill?
Nope.

Quote:
Also, the Evolver has the same digital samples/oscillators from the Prophet VS? Does it have similar routing capabilities?
Nope.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbow73 ➑️
That's not correct. The Mopho has the sub-oscillator which the Evolver doesn't have. So for bass sounds especially, there's a huge difference.
πŸ“ Reply