Quantcast
Big reggae/hip hop etc Bass synth. Used to be MS20 now Nord Lead 2. But might get a W - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Big reggae/hip hop etc Bass synth. Used to be MS20 now Nord Lead 2. But might get a W
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Big reggae/hip hop etc Bass synth. Used to be MS20 now Nord Lead 2. But might get a W

I used to use a Korg MS20 for bass. No MIDI but played it live. It had hiss noise with every note and a very heavy real analogue sound. It got reclaimed by it's owner after 17 years. Now I use my Nord Lead 2 for synth basses. But it doen't sound big and heavy.

There is a Waldorf Pulse on the local second hand market for cheap. Reviews I have read on sonicstate and harmonycentral all are very positive and also consistently emphasise it's very good bass sound.

I need analogue for the bass in my studio I reckon. Real heavy sound. Dirt etc.

****ty ****in Nord. And don't try to tell me to put a saturation plug in on it. It doesn't work you ferkin fool.

Ok this is the question:
Will the Waldorf Pulse give my studio a beating heart? Will it's bass be better than the NL2?
All those reviews can't be wrong.

The NL2 sounds better if recorded to tape though. But I compose with Logic/Mac and an MPC and MIDI modules. I don't want to wait till I go to a studio and bounce my mix to tape to have my pleasure.
Roman.
Old 5th February 2009
Deleted d2a68cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman ➑️
I need analogue for the bass in my studio I reckon. Real heavy sound. Dirt etc.

****ty ****in Nord. And don't try to tell me to put a saturation plug in on it. It doesn't work you ferkin fool.

The Pulse never sounded heavy and dirty to me without processing. I found it loud, but strident. You could keep the Nord and get some analogue effect pedals - maybe overdrive, fuzz and an envelope filter. Lovetone's Cheese Source and Meatball pedals seem to set the standard for those who have/want them, but their scarcity and subsequent price mean that you're more likely to go with clones or pedals that serve similar functions. Otherwise, consider getting a few modules, but the requirement for a power supply and rack might be a barrier to entry.

Edit, if you're dead set on getting a different synth, then consider a Studio Electronics ATC-1, which costs a little more than a Pulse+, last I checked.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I never really liked the Pulse, had one for a few months then sold it. I would describe its sound as big, but not dirty. Its quite a clinical, accurate sounding analogue.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
what about the Mopho?
seems to me the perfect (modern) dirty bass synth.

also the "Kraftzwerg" MFB (powerdwarf) is nice (and will enslave your soul to the modular gods forever aha ahhaaaaa haa!)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by our_swimmer ➑️
The Pulse never sounded heavy and dirty to me without processing. I found it loud, but strident.
+1 ,
Good for leads and bleepy/mid noizes but no stellar-deep bass.

If you can't get a good bass out of the NL2 keep tryin!heh

With the exception of the SE-1x,nothing beats the Nord for bass,imho.

Old 5th February 2009

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
There is a Waldorf Pulse on the local second hand market for cheap. Reviews I have read on sonicstate and harmonycentral all are very positive and also consistently emphasise it's very good bass sound.
It does have a good bass sound, will go deep with a little bit of programing. Pulse really likes high BPMs (techno, house, etc...) and low notes.

But... if you want a classic hip-hop style basses, forget the Pulse. You need to go either: a MiniMoog or Voyager or SE-1 / SE1-x. Alternative is Roland SH-2, although the filter is far away from the "American sound".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I own both Nord 1 (V2 chip) & the Pulse, The Pulse with little programing will eat the Nord 1,2,3 any day for bass. no matter how hard you will program the nord. with the Pulse i sujest you get the editor, much easier to program with great results everytime.

if your staying on low budget, either the Pulse or Mopho will do great, i preffer the Waldorf sound to DSI (i own both).

if you can go higher then that, the SE1/SE1x will make you a very happy man !
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The rave reviews for the Pulse by many while receiving criticism by others show just how misleading online opinions are. It IS good for bass, good enough that i have one even with plenty of vintage because it has a good but different sound relative to those. Plenty raw and punchy.

It could work for what you want it for, but you'll only know that by trying one in person first, or by taking a chance on buying one that's reasonably priced with the knowledge that you can always resell it if it doesn't deliver. A short-term option that i've found quite useful is to listen to numerous clips on youtube-from my experience if the sound clarity is decent in a clip, they often provide good representations of the general character of each.

Either do that or buy a LP/Voyager/SE or vintage analog. The vintage stuff will of course nail that quality you had with the MS, and they can be any number of lesser hyped boards like a Rogue or Korg.

The new analog stuff could also be close enough for you, only you can decide that after hearing. I've also heard convincing old-skool bass coming from a Microkorg, it did sound powerful and gritty. In all cases you're best off trying them in person or be willing to buy and resell if it doesn't work. Youtube's a good starting point:

2:03 onwards
YouTube - Everybody needs a 303 by Fatboy Slim

YouTube - Life on Planet Funk--The Police--Korg Microkorg

YouTube - Funky MicroKorg

A good number of smaller modulars could also do that, but they're of course more complex and harder to transport, as well as being expensive in general.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"If you can't get a good bass out of the NL2 keep tryin!heh"

Truly. It's all about unison and layering different patches.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have both a Pulse and an SE-1x, and to my ears, their sound "signature" is somewhat different. If I want edgy basses I turn to the Pulse, while for smoothness and cream, the SE is the one to use. Layering both of them is of course an option... Between them, the SE is way closer to the MS20, but the Pulse can do some serious woofer-shaking too. Try it, but don't rely on the presets, most of them are ...ahem... unusable.

(Even better, and I have said this before, would perhaps be to get a Polysix and use it in Unison mode. Six real VCOs + that SSM filter will get your booty shaking.)

r,
j,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting

To the guys saying the Nord Lead 2 is the best for bass.
WELL, I can't hear it. It disappears. By the time I set the volum in a mix so that the bass is at a good level like a mastered track the clean NL2 bass is quiet.
The MS20 was noisy yes, it also had more harmonics. And it sounded heavy.
Ok the NL2 is alright but not in comparison. I need to get closer to 70's 80's Jamaican dancehall not further away.
I have an MPC60II triggering an Akai Z8. A Korg trinity rack module, a Yamaha DX100 and the Nord Lead 2 plus Logic's VI's.
I like late 80's hip hop that sampled all the drums from vinyl into Akai S950's and SP1200's. I like dirty Jamaican 70's music.

Intellectually I may choose high quality sound vs dirty but what do I instictively listen to. What kind of music do I put on for pleasure. It's dirty tape music.

My **** is so ferkin clean at the moment. I have 14 inputs of M-Audio delta sound cards. This lets me mix live with Logic and my Logic control.
I can save and automate my mixes. Really cool. When people come over to listen to my latest beats I load them up mixed. And during composition I can eq and reverb etc.

I do sample vinyl breaks into my S950 and then into my Z8.
I also plan on multitracking sub groups to 8 track tape with varying degrees of tape saturation for drums, instruments, vocals etc.

I need more and more dirt. Because I know that's what I instinctively listen to.

I'm scared the Pulse will be a let down now. But then another comment was the NL2 is the best for bass. Nah I need a heavy voltage bass.

Yeah even tape hiss is pprobably pleasurable. Yet intellectually we avoid it for sound quality.

Thanks yall,
Roman.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I need more and more dirt. Because I know that's what I instinctively listen to.

I'm scared the Pulse will be a let down now. But then another comment was the NL2 is the best for bass. Nah I need a heavy voltage bass.
The Pulse isn't dirty, it's brutal. IMHO it's more techno than funk. So, you're probably right, get something else. BUT - if you can try it, you should. You never know, you might like it.

r,
j,
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Lots of choice

Dave Smith MOPHO
Studio Electronics ATC1
Moog Little Phatty
Studio Electronics SE1x
Moog Voyager
If you want something really pimp - wait for the Ken Macbeth X Factor

Untitled Document

Low cost - to high cost....Particularly the Moog and Studio Electronics are Hip Hop classics - any of those will get you what you want. Plus perhaps an overdrive pedal and you'll be laughing.

Quote:

LOL - FWIW I know what you mean. Go for the above you'll be happy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hate to admit it but I am starting to think that the Arturia Mini Moog sounds as good as a lot of the hardware thats coming out now.
I have been runing it out through my API and it sounds real nice.
KInda like the Voyager to my ears.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➑️
I hate to admit it but I am starting to think that the Arturia Mini Moog sounds as good as a lot of the hardware thats coming out now.
I have been runing it out through my API and it sounds real nice.
KInda like the Voyager to my ears.
ouch!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why not just get another MS-20? If not, sell your Nord and get a Moog Little Phatty.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I sold my Mopho to get a Pulse. I found the Mopho to be too soft and squishy, but that may be the sound your going for. I wanted more of a Throbbing Gristle/Boards of Canada vibe in an analog synth. Something that could either tear your face off, or invoke a sense of nostalgia.

The Pulse can be nasty if you want it to. If you turn up the oscillators and volume, it will overdrive the built in mixer for a much grittier sound. It even states this in the manual as a built in feature. It can be really dirty or clean, and I consider it to be a unique synth with a wide tonal palate. I've created some patches that come really close to either a Minimoog, or a MS-20, since those are the synths the Pulse was designed to emulate.

It puts out some really heavy bass. But, you can't really tell from the built in patches. It's best to get your hands dirty and program it yourself. The presets are really tame, and my self made patches often come in at 25-30 db higher than the factory presets. I also put the Pulse through a Moog Low Pass Filter, or strap the Moog filter on an Aux if I really want a more vintage sound. The envelopes are really fast in the Pulse, and the Moog helps to slow them down if I need it.

Another cool thing is that you can link up to five Pulses together and have a polyphonic analog. I've seen the Pulse go for as low as 300.00 on ebay, which is a steal.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A free Pulse editor that works great:

Pulse Editor v1.0.0 for Windows 2000/95/98/ME/NT/XP

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nah I need a heavy voltage bass.
In that case you need a Mini. Period. When you put the Moog on the track, it dominates the whole recording. If you're short on cash, you can check the SE-1. AFAIK Dr.Dre uses one.

Pulse is on a totally opposite bass side. Although it has a deadly strong punch and a raw DCO dirt, it lacks the sonic content of old discrete boards from 70's. To say it this way - Pulse is ideal for European style techno - it doesn't color much - it just stands down there, pumps the bassline without occupying the rest of the spectra - saving plenty of room for pads, strings, 909's. Great synth (i have the plus version), but definitely not for your style.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Studio Electronics ATC/SE is the best option for you (price/quality).
Deleted d2a68cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass ➑️
The rave reviews for the Pulse by many while receiving criticism by others show just how disparate online opinions are.
Fixed your post there, boss!
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What about using a mooger fooger filter on my Nord Lead 2

I don't use filter envelopes. The sounds I use are just either different waveforms and low pass filter settings.

Maybe a hardware filter would have more dirt.

I am thinking of just waiting a while till I can buy something real. Then I never have to second guess.
Either a Minimoog or MS20.
Maybe the MS20 cause they are 1600US.
Roman.
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And you iknow what else is stupid about the Nord Lead 2

The ferkin thing clicks in monophonic mode. Yes create a sub bass sound and every attack clicks like a slut. Yep and to get rid of it you have to shave off quite a bit of attack. In fact you have to slightly compromise the attack and it's still slightly there. Ferk dat!

I like the descriptions of the SE ATC, with a Moog filter it sounds promising.

I don't know how fussy I should get but I do know the Nord Lead 2 can't satisfy the big fluffy bass I need that the MS20 had.
Ferk you!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I seriously think you should at least try the Mopho in the meantime before shelling out for a MS20 or Mini. $400 aint too hefty....I would defoe spend that money instead of a Moog filter for the Nord
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
THE OLD CONTROL SYNTHESIS dEEP bASS 9'S DO REAL GOOD DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP DUB BASS, bloody caps sorry, it does huge bass thru big pa rigs

um also Oakley synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7161 ➑️
THE OLD CONTROL SYNTHESIS dEEP bASS 9'S DO REAL GOOD DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP DUB BASS, bloody caps sorry, it does huge bass thru big pa rigs

um also Oakley synths.
Cheap & rare these days , i picked one one ebay uk few years back, great subs plus it a midi to cv converter.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hear this story lots and lots.

It's true, a single osc from a good analog synth like say Mini Moog, MS 20, Arp Odyssey and the king of all bass the Pro 1 totally eats any virtual synth.

Try this as it has lots of the raw waveforms recorded on every key from all the great analogs all really long loops:

ZEROGcs - PHAEDRA

listen to the demo's all done with Phaedra.

This bass demo is pretty cool: http://www.zero-g.co.uk/media/mp3/l/...sets_Demo2.mp3

The thing with analog bass is that you don't need to take all the headroom in a mix for the bass to sit, with virtual you have to compress eq etc and it takes far too much mix headroom.

Pick up a cheap Yamaha CS-5 analog or even a CS-01 (battery powered) big bass from a little machine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Synths used in Phaedra. Mostly 7 octaves of multisamples.

Mini Moog D - Was very hard work to sample due to the fact that if you looked at it, it went out of tune.
Welsh Moog - A prototype Re-issue Moog made in Wales, but had a unique PWM mod done to it.
Yamaha CS5 - Very snappy and fast attack and surprisingly bass-y oscillators.
Yamaha CS-15 - This one was delivered in a terrible and broken state, but sounded great for it.
Yamaha CS-30 - Sometimes I stacked all 3 Yamahas up over CV voltage for a huge sound.
Korg Monopoly - Still getting to grips with this 4-osc howling beast.
Korg MS-20 - Very quirky with a great filter.
Studio Electronics SE-1 - Modern rack-mounted Moog that could store presets and stay relatively in tune - hurray!!!!
Studio Electronics SE-1 - as above but with filter input. I stacked these two a lot, as the sound combinations were awesome.
Roland SH-101 - Wet and squelchy, a really good little workhorse.
Crumar Multiman - 70's string synth with Arp filters, surprisingly interesting palette of sounds.
Akai AX-73 -

I have bought myself an Arp Odyssey MK3 and a Pro 1 recently. Love them but they need to be restored.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Phaedra is very limited in that its just someone elses (albeit numerous and nice) patch design. Ok so you can use the digital filters in Kontakt with raw Osc sounds and cut your teeth using groups etc...Not really much of a Mono synth experience I have found...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
ouch!

+1 heh
πŸ“ Reply