Quantcast
Big reggae/hip hop etc Bass synth. Used to be MS20 now Nord Lead 2. But might get a W - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Big reggae/hip hop etc Bass synth. Used to be MS20 now Nord Lead 2. But might get a W
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
At this point I believe layerin 2 bass sounds together will get you there...
Leyer the NL2 bass with another with a simple sine wave from another synth.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton ➡️
Synths used in Phaedra. Mostly 7 octaves of multisamples.

Mini Moog D - Was very hard work to sample due to the fact that if you looked at it, it went out of tune.
Welsh Moog - A prototype Re-issue Moog made in Wales, but had a unique PWM mod done to it.
Yamaha CS5 - Very snappy and fast attack and surprisingly bass-y oscillators.
Yamaha CS-15 - This one was delivered in a terrible and broken state, but sounded great for it.
Yamaha CS-30 - Sometimes I stacked all 3 Yamahas up over CV voltage for a huge sound.
Korg Monopoly - Still getting to grips with this 4-osc howling beast.
Korg MS-20 - Very quirky with a great filter.
Studio Electronics SE-1 - Modern rack-mounted Moog that could store presets and stay relatively in tune - hurray!!!!
Studio Electronics SE-1 - as above but with filter input. I stacked these two a lot, as the sound combinations were awesome.
Roland SH-101 - Wet and squelchy, a really good little workhorse.
Crumar Multiman - 70's string synth with Arp filters, surprisingly interesting palette of sounds.
Akai AX-73 -

I have bought myself an Arp Odyssey MK3 and a Pro 1 recently. Love them but they need to be restored.

Are you the guy that did Phaedra? The same ****** that complained about it being warezed on KVR to draw attention to your product when you already had an account at a warez site with a list of everything you had downloaded?

Everyone should avoid Phaedra like the plague if you care about integrity in sample libraries.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman ➡️
I don't use filter envelopes. The sounds I use are just either different waveforms and low pass filter settings.
Good use of an envelope modulating the filter is my favorite part of subtractive-style bass sounds - total control of the attack snap, the growl, the warmth of the harmonics - I can't live without it!

Quote:
The ferkin thing clicks in monophonic mode. Yes create a sub bass sound and every attack clicks like a slut. Yep and to get rid of it you have to shave off quite a bit of attack. In fact you have to slightly compromise the attack and it's still slightly there. Ferk dat!
Ferk dat indeed! If you use a filter envelope, you can get rid of that click but still have the attack! Clavia envelopes can be very fast - I use the Nord Modular - but bass sounds do not have to click at all - unless you want them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
When you put the Moog on the track, it dominates the whole recording...

...Pulse is on a totally opposite bass side. Although it has a deadly strong punch and a raw DCO dirt, it lacks the sonic content of old discrete boards from 70's. To say it this way - Pulse is ideal for European style techno - it doesn't color much - it just stands down there, pumps the bassline without occupying the rest of the spectra - saving plenty of room for pads, strings, 909's. Great synth...
Well-said, Don. I don't have a Mini, but I do have a Pulse, and that is on-point in my experience. The Pulse is a little too brash/strident for leads, and perhaps a bit sterile there too for my tastes, but when it comes to fat and hard (not warm, i.e., SH-2 style) bass, it delivers, bigtime.

cheers,
Ian
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Serpent ➡️
Are you the guy that did Phaedra? The same ****** that complained about it being warezed on KVR to draw attention to your product when you already had an account at a warez site with a list of everything you had downloaded?

Everyone should avoid Phaedra like the plague if you care about integrity in sample libraries.
I bought it 3 weeks ago from time and space along with Cult sampler. I think they are both pretty damn good products just thought I'd pass it on.

It is true that most of the synthesis is from Kontakt 2 engine but does sound very analog. Cult sampler sounds better when past through some analog outboard hardware, most samples vsti based stuff does.

I think Phaedra should have been a £59.99 product, it's good but also expensive as are all of these libraries. Maybe they'd get warezed less if they were cheaper to buy?

COuld the op of this thread maybe borrow an analog from someone and spend the day making some samples of it? Might be worth buying an MS20 sampling it then sell it on for little loss?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I liked the Korg MS20 WAY better than the Nord Lead 2 because...

It was a very noisy fluffy tone with a heavy bass underneath that fluffy sound. Yeah it's not clean. But it is pleasurable.

I think alot of advice I've been given is bull.

Layering basses. Nah. Using filter envelope to get rid of clicks. Nah. Sampling an MS20. Nah. USing the Nord Lead 2 through some frikkin impossible chain to get the sound of a real analogue synth. Nah.

It's really interesting to read the sonicstate/harmony central reviews of the MS20.

People call it thin and light on the bass.

Then on the Nord Lead 2 reviews there is endless praise for it's warmth.

What universe am I living in.

Yeah I agree the Nord Lead 2 is alright at mid high frequency synth sounds. Alright not smooth and nice to the ears as much as a real analogue synth.

But for me the MS20 is that word fat. It's big and the bass feels heavy without taking up all the headroom like the NL2.

Yes we are using language to describe sound. It is subjective. But there is no way the Nord Lead 2 is big and fat. In fact it pisses me off.

I'm really curious to try a minimoog. The SE ATC-1 looks really interesting and I am betting it's better than the Waldorf Pulse for big bass. It has a moog filter.

I don't know why everyone praises the Roland Juno 106 for bass. My friend had one and it only had two waveforms. Or switching both of them on together for maybe some kind of additive waveform.

I couldn't get a sinewave style bass. Or anything smooth. Maybe the filter wasn't doing it. Maybe I didn't get to know the instrument well enough to program a bass as easily as on the MS20. But I would like to see someone get a good bass from a Roland Juno 106.

I don't want to be too nerdy about gear. I want to make music not live on gearslutz. But yeah I hear big basses. Tape is a wicked tool for big bass. Listen to 70's reggae. Overdriven amps onto overdriven tape. Big and deep I reckon. PLeasure.

Yep I am going to print to tape. I want to get an 8 track to have varying saturation levels on 3 stereo sub groups eg Vocal, Instruments and Drums and a track each for bass and bass drum.

That would be cool eh. Just need a fairly good nick machine. Then the kick and bass could be overdriven more than the cleaner vocals etc.

I'm gonna post a question on how to get a big overdriven tape 70's reggae bass sound with a DI'd bass and plug ins ha ha ha. Ok maybe it is possible. I've hgeard the FATSO praised for this kind of effort.
Roman.
Deleted d2a68cc
Good luck, then.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't use filter envelopes.
Quote:
Using filter envelope to get rid of clicks. Nah.

Quote:
I don't know why everyone praises the Roland Juno 106 for bass. My friend had one and it only had two waveforms.
Quote:
I would like to see someone get a good bass from a Roland Juno 106.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Buy another MS20 and don't waste other people time.
Many of us have already seen your ****ty attitude at work on many places on the Internet in the last few years (Logic mailing list, Akai mailing list, just to name a few) so no need to be a plague here as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Minimoog!Less is more like others have stated.FIlls out the bottom like a big round poo poo puff!

Dan P
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Old 28th March 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i own a Pulse AND an MS-20. with the right programming, you can closely emulate that classic MS-20 growling bass sound heard in hip hop and industrial type music. very close, but never exact. .the Pulse's oscillators sound a bit more clinical, and the moog-like VCF isn't as good as the one on the MS-20 in my opinion. [the MS-20's filter is so awesome that Frostwave cloned it] that isn't to trash the Pulse, it's still one of the best bass monsters out there, and great for scrapey modulated noises as well. the Pulse's analog oscillators have digital clocking, making them more stable and that usually works in favor of bass sounds. it also has PWM, which you won't find on the ms-20.

cheaper analog bass alternatives include the dsi Mopho, which continues a close emulation of the original Prophet sound, or if you can find a Doepfer MS-404.
Lives for gear

not really reggea or hip hop, but here's a track i made with a simple saw patch from my prophet '08 which is pretty much the same as a mopho

trancemix a.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you may consider the pro-one as well. It's a different kind of dirt but it's extremely powerful.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➡️
I hate to admit it but I am starting to think that the Arturia Mini Moog sounds as good as a lot of the hardware thats coming out now.
I have been runing it out through my API and it sounds real nice.
KInda like the Voyager to my ears.
I use my ImpOSCar that way.
If it works for you, use it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I think alot of advice I've been given is bull.

Layering basses. Nah. Using filter envelope to get rid of clicks. Nah. Sampling an MS20. Nah. USing the Nord Lead 2 through some frikkin impossible chain to get the sound of a real analogue synth. Nah.

Just buy you own bloody ms20.
📝 Reply