Quantcast
Is the Ensoniq DP PRO on the same level as the PCM 91? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the Ensoniq DP PRO on the same level as the PCM 91?
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➡️
I have not been able to find any clips of the Kurzweills or the PCM 80 or the Eventides.
Back on page 1 of this thread I suggested you visit the Kurzweil site for audio demos. I make that suggestion again.

You can find some Eventide demos on their site. In particular, there is a demo for the H8000FW that has some reverb demonstration within.

I'd make some demos for you if my gear was with me, but alas, it is not right now.

cheers,
Ian
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks. I had been to the Kurz site before and somehow over looked the audio tab.
It sounds pretty freakin cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux ➡️
Back on page 1 of this thread I suggested you visit the Kurzweil site for audio demos. I make that suggestion again.

You can find some Eventide demos on their site. In particular, there is a demo for the H8000FW that has some reverb demonstration within.

I'd make some demos for you if my gear was with me, but alas, it is not right now.

cheers,
Ian
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
about PCM-70: i love mine but its not good as only reverb.
Here's an interesting thread about Lexicon reverbs:
Lexicon reverbs: a brief bestiary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special ➡️
the 70 was a simplified version of the 224 and the algorithms sound pretty similar. The 480 extended that with a better S/N ratio and more algorithms.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Chrisso.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Here's an interesting thread about Lexicon reverbs:
Lexicon reverbs: a brief bestiary
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➡️
I am thinking about grabing a Lex PCM 80 a TC M2000 and a Kurweill Rumor.
If I were in your shoes I would get a PCM 90/91 instead of the 80/81. Most people I know who have bought the 80/81 for reverbs have been disappointed. Its more of a mult-effect box while the 90/91 is a dedicated verb. As for the m2000 I would also consider getting a 3000 or better yet a 4000. Both of those have all the algos of the 2000 and more. I have not used the Rumor so I can not comment on it.

Another reverb to think about is the Sony R7, its really nice sounding, I think its a bit under rated by most people.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell ➡️
If I were in your shoes I would get a PCM 90/91 instead of the 80/81. Most people I know who have bought the 80/81 for reverbs have been disappointed. Its more of a mult-effect box while the 90/91 is a dedicated verb.
Yea, the 90/91 uses two Lexichip IIs to do reverb with algos derived from the 480L, whereas the 80/81 uses a single Lexichip II (paired with a Motorola 56K DSP) to do reverb and multieffects with algos derived from the 224XL.

Indeed, the reverbs on the 80/81 are not the same as the ones on the 90/91, but that doesn't mean they are less - it depends on the application. For electronic productions, the 80/81 is fantastic, esp. when used with the Dual card - achieving tones the 90/91 can only dream of.

I own and use both a PCM-81 and a pair of NuVerbs (algos from 300L, same as 90/91). To my ear, each reverb offers something the other does not.

Quote:
As for the m2000 I would also consider getting a 3000 or better yet a 4000. Both of those have all the algos of the 2000 and more.
Actually, the M3000 does not offer the reverb algo from the M2000. The M3000 also misses the Stereo program from the M2000.

The Reverb 4000 misses the reverb algo from the M2000 and also misses C.O.R.E. and Rev3 algos from the M3000. It does have VSS3 from the M3000, however. It also misses all non-reverb algos from both the M2000 and M3000.

Quote:
I have not used the Rumor so I can not comment on it.
As a single channel of reverb from the KSP8, I recommend it highly.

Quote:
Another reverb to think about is the Sony R7, its really nice sounding, I think its a bit under rated by most people.
Very much agreed. The Sony R7 and DPS-V77 can deliver lovely reverb. In particular, I highly rate their Plate algo.

cheers,
Ian
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonlux ➡️
Reverb 4000 misses .. C.O.R.E. and Rev3 algos from the M3000. It does have VSS3 from the M3000, however.
it has Reverb3 algorithm too. and for synths, i largely prefer it over Reverb4 and VSS4 (from 4000/6000). the latter works best for acoustic sources, and in audio-post.

i do like 4000's DVR-2 algo too, its a EMT250 emulation. and for synth strings, mellotrons n such, its a very nice, vintage vibe sound. perhaps one of the best EMT emulations out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
it has Reverb3 algorithm too.
Thanks for this info/update, Tom. The last time I read the Reverb 4000 manual, it made no mention of Rev3, only the true-stereo Rev4.

I've always wondered about the M2000 reverb for synths. I've heard that it is lacking for naturalness, but it excels on synths - esp. since it has spin/wander-style modulation.

cheers,
Ian
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not a big fan of the Kurzweil Rumour after trying one out but there are many here that love it (reverb is very subjective it seems for slutz). At it's current used price of $250 to $350 you can't go wrong trying it yourself and if you don't like it resell and you'll probably only lose the cost of the shipping. The Sony's are fantastic for the price and I have not seen a single post here at slutz where someone dis'ed em. The Sony R7's have been going for $200 to $350 and the V77's have been going for $400 to $500. The R7 is reverb with limited delays where the V77 is newer and a combination of the R7/D7/M7/F7 for it's presets/functions. One other Sony to check out is the MU-201 which predates the R7 and is much darker/grainier sounding. The Ibanez SDR-1000+ is a repackage of that unit with the same Sony chips. Both the older Sony and Ibanez are going for under $125. It seems like the concensus here with the TC Electronics reverbs is you need to go for their fairly recent 4000 with alot of slutz not caring for the 2000. As for Lexicon's the PCM 70's get alot of love here and run around $700. The Klark Teknik DN-780 and Roland R800 are going for around $800 with their controllers. There are some slutz who are big fans of those two units. The Eventides are big bucks and slutz using them for reverb prefer the newer units (after the H4000). Think about Delay units as an option instead of or in addition to reverbs (plenty of used deals on them). There are lots of threads on slutz picks for Delays to read up on. I guess I trying to say if you do want to or can't spring the $2,000 for the new Lex PCM96 or $3500 for the new Bricasti M7 which are the slutz picks for new units, then there are plenty of used reasonably priced units to try. Trying out gear is one of the fun things a slutz does as we all hear things differently!!
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just scored a PCM91 for 800.00 bucks.
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Nice.
thumbsup
📝 Reply