the eternal hope... : novation / ensoniq / behringer - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the eternal hope... : novation / ensoniq / behringer
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the eternal hope... : novation / ensoniq / behringer

well,
i dont know why i still have hope that novation or even behringer will release the ADAT I/O board for Novation Supernova II

i simply cant quit hope.
the hope is so big that i have day dreamed to learn how to do e-circuits and make a board my self.

crazy ****
anyway,
i wrote to novation last year, and they answered something like: it never went to production becouse it wasnt $$$able. too much $$ to produce them.

Supernova II Platinum Limited Edition

STELLAR PERFOMANCE

then... i think to my self, WTF, what about promises, what about support, what about coustomers, what about reputation, what about honnor.

then i also think... why behringer & the store can make profit from a digital $100usd. rack unit like ultramatch src2496?

then i think, the real reason must be becouse they have a design flaw in the interface of the synths.
but.... thers a prototype, can it be fake?

then i dream a little more:
if i could get the schematics of the prototype board...
i could ask behringer to make it.
shure they will make a profit with a novation supernova 2 digital io board!
the have the tools, the parts, its just schematics and all supernova 2 users asking to behringer & novation,
even kenton could do it!

i just like to day dream crazy stuff like that...
similar happened with ensoniq dp/pro optional s/pdif, Aes I/O board.
never released, not even the prototype.

but dp/pro digital io board hope is diluted since creative bought emu & ensoniq and ensoniq name dissapeared.

thing that didnt happened when focusrite bought novation.

the eternal hope is crushing my shoulders, feels too heavy.
betrayed by my own body.
need to do something/think something else, my endless hope is somehow hurting me.
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't own own a Supernova.

BTW, arn't you that poster called "sexxy" that got banned from GS a while back?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'll answer for him... YES, HE IS!!!
Lives for gear

You must really, really, REALLY love your Supernova to be holding out hope for optional feature expansions at this point. Damn. Might have to buy a used Supernova and see what this is all about.

Sometimes there are moments in life where you have to let go. There will be other synths with digital outputs...... Yes, there will be others.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➑️
BTW, arn't you that poster called "sexxy" that got banned from GS a while back?
SSSshhhhhh!!! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ha. A couple of years ago I got in touch with Novation too to ask about this, I knew it would never go into production but I was scrounging for an adat card that may have been kicking around from the few that were made.

It's not that simple though, it's not just plugging a card in, the Supernova's OS has to support the feature, and they obviously never realeased an OS update that would support the card, even if you could get one made by a third party, so it's impossible, unless you want to program the OS update for the synth as well

And yes, it is a great synth, one of the most under-rated of all time, mainly because the presets are so nineties, so most people are not interested in synths that they actually have to program themselves. Orbital's albums were made with two of these synths.

It still has the most hands on control, fattest basses and mad evolving sounds, better than most out there, crazy mod matrix too.

The prices rise and fall all the time, it's worth picking one up, good addition to any setup.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
SSSshhhhhh!!! heh
Oops sorry I didn't mean to make that big a deal about Space2012 being that poster from long ago names sexxy that got banned for posting some political pictures or whatever not that it made any sense I actually liked some of his picture posting and it was really cool and stuff and I actually really wish he would post more pictures of cool gear now but I think his posts are pretty interesting as long as he doesnt go overboard and stuff it is no big deal to me cause its cool and with his new name I actually like the new name better cause I dont feel weird about answering to someone named Space2012 instead of someone named sexxy which makes me feel strange so I hope my info doesnt make Jules aware or anything you know cause we need someone to actually stir the pot every once in reference to cool gear and have some pics up every now and then for ****s and giggles and stuff!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Supernova v1 go on ebay for Β£180 at the moment thats nuts money for what you get
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
would like to hear a sn2 too to see what the fuss is about. maybe its time to take a step back and ask:

where the f is the supernova ]I[?

knobby, 19" rackable unit w/16 part 24bit/96k firewire interface w/adat option for $2kish USD would be schweet. TI style software would be nice too.

I look at the x-station, and it is so incredibly well designed/thought out, it blows me away each time I dive deeper into it. So they still have it in 'em.

Well novation? EH?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
Sometimes there are moments in life where you have to let go.
moment ??? im having this issue almost everyday letting go from a mix heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
apparently some things are just too cool to exist.
Deleted 231be8b
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty ➑️
would like to hear a sn2 too to see what the fuss is about.
err ok

This was written by me (ages and ages ago) - all synth sounds and effects are Supernova 2 PRESETS with drums done on battery. (a few choir and vox samples thrown on too)

not amazing, no fancy mixing or anything, but should give you an idea what it does.

Zippyshare.com - Dark Matter.mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil ➑️
apparently some things are just too cool to exist.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this is what you want...

this is what you get...

Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB ➑️
err ok

This was written by me (ages and ages ago) - all synth sounds and effects are Supernova 2 PRESETS with drums done on battery. (a few choir and vox samples thrown on too)

not amazing, no fancy mixing or anything, but should give you an idea what it does.

Zippyshare.com - Dark Matter.mp3

Nicely done! Will have to keep my eyes peeled for one.
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Novation Supernova II

I have one, and what set it apart from every synth in the world, at the time it was released, was the extraordinary amount of power that could be programmed into a Performance (i.e. Setup, Combo).

Each Program (patch) could have 7 different effects mods going on, and got saved as part of the Program. Ok. But then, you go into Performance mode and you route 8 different programs at the same time, and each program retains the specific Fx that had been part of it, allowing for a Performance to be playing up to 56 effects at the same time.

As an owner of a Kurzweil K2500XS with KDFX, as powerful as KDFX is/was, you ran out of processing power in your Setups (i.e. Performance, Combo), and that sucked.

When you create a complicated Performance patch, you want each program to sound the way it was supposed to. The Supernova II does just that.

I had done a public review of it back when it came out, and said back then that it was the new standard by which all new synths would be judged, regarding how individual programs retain the effects settings, even when used in Combo modes.

The latest Kurzweil PC3 now boasts more Fx processing power on individual Programs, and up to 14 programs can now be retained in a Setup, which should support most anything you want, but this ability came 8 years after the SN2.

If you created a Sequenced Song that had 16 programs/tracks, certainly program/track #15 and #16 should be able to use the same Reverb or Delay that one of the other 14 tracks are using. How often do you use 16 completely different Fx on 16 different instruments?

Another cool thing about the SN2 is that since it is Virtual analog, mathematically created, it has a Double Saw mode so that you essentially can get the equivalent of 6 Saw Oscillators going on at the same time, because it has 3 oscillators, and you use the Double Saw algorithm.

The only reason I'm writing in here today, a year and a half since the last post, is that I am taking my SN2 to a shop this morning, since it has internal static coming out of its Left audio channel, and also the Left side of the stereo Headphone Out. Very bad static, even when the keys are not being played. So I googled Novaton SN2 to see what was out here.

I hope the repair work does not go over $200. A couple of the buttons never lit up when depressed, either. Several calls to Novation never got the parts or any support from them. Their tech support was totally out-to-lunch. I'm going to inquire of this repair shop to see if they can remove the tiny little lightbulbs in the switches, and replace them, for not too much money.
Attached Thumbnails
the eternal hope... : novation / ensoniq / behringer-2.jpg   the eternal hope... : novation / ensoniq / behringer-3.jpg   the eternal hope... : novation / ensoniq / behringer-5.jpg   the eternal hope... : novation / ensoniq / behringer-6.jpg   the eternal hope... : novation / ensoniq / behringer-1.jpg  

the eternal hope... : novation / ensoniq / behringer-9c.jpg  
Old 30th October 2010
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 ➑️
well,
i dont know why i still have hope that novation or even behringer will release the ADAT I/O board for Novation Supernova II

i simply cant quit hope.
the hope is so big that i have day dreamed to learn how to do e-circuits and make a board my self.

crazy ****
anyway,
i wrote to novation last year, and they answered something like: it never went to production becouse it wasnt $$$able. too much $$ to produce them.

Supernova II Platinum Limited Edition

STELLAR PERFOMANCE

then... i think to my self, WTF, what about promises, what about support, what about coustomers, what about reputation, what about honnor.

then i also think... why behringer & the store can make profit from a digital $100usd. rack unit like ultramatch src2496?

then i think, the real reason must be becouse they have a design flaw in the interface of the synths.
but.... thers a prototype, can it be fake?

then i dream a little more:
if i could get the schematics of the prototype board...
i could ask behringer to make it.
shure they will make a profit with a novation supernova 2 digital io board!
the have the tools, the parts, its just schematics and all supernova 2 users asking to behringer & novation,
even kenton could do it!

i just like to day dream crazy stuff like that...
similar happened with ensoniq dp/pro optional s/pdif, Aes I/O board.
never released, not even the prototype.

but dp/pro digital io board hope is diluted since creative bought emu & ensoniq and ensoniq name dissapeared.

thing that didnt happened when focusrite bought novation.

the eternal hope is crushing my shoulders, feels too heavy.
betrayed by my own body.
need to do something/think something else, my endless hope is somehow hurting me.

Good points.

It's actual slot on the back of supernova II Rack to install the adat I/O, so, it could be easily installed if you have one. A while back I was planning to buy that i/o board. If I remember it right, I saw that card listed on Novation web site at some point. So, it was available. And ... the price was ... $800 USD (It was listed as a special order or something like that.)

I was also looking at ebay periodically, with hope that some card could actually pop up there.

But now, I am thinking... will I buy it if it will become available?
What to gain? One cable to the back instead of 8?
It's not much gain if you have 8 high quality analog inputs available to your DAW already. Using Supernova's analog outputs also allow you to put some nice pre's before it hits the DAW. That's also nice option for some of us.

So, the bottom line is, if I'll find that adat IO card for $100 USD, (high quality) I'll probably buy one.
If the price would be higher... I am not sure
Old 30th October 2010 | Show parent
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️
the Supernova's OS has to support the feature, and they obviously never realeased an OS update that would support the card, even if you could get one made by a third party, so it's impossible, unless you want to program the OS update for the synth as well
Actually, the OS already supports the card. You can even choose ADAT output in the routing section.
Old 9th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddskins ➑️

The only reason I'm writing in here today, a year and a half since the last post, is that I am taking my SN2 to a shop this morning, since it has internal static coming out of its Left audio channel, and also the Left side of the stereo Headphone Out. Very bad static, even when the keys are not being played. So I googled Novaton SN2 to see what was out here.
Mine had the static issue and now goes completely dead after it's been on for awhile.

Let me know what it is and what it costs to repair, thanks, it'd be much appreciated.
Old 9th December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
ive got orbitals supernova rack left at a studio i was renting, which went down when the landlord couldnt pay the rent for the whole block.

tried to give it back numerous times, they didnt want it enough to get in touch back.

schweeet i thought.

then the chips blew up ...

got a pair of raybans and a rug too tho heh
Old 10th January 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 ➑️
Mine had the static issue and now goes completely dead after it's been on for awhile.

Let me know what it is and what it costs to repair, thanks, it'd be much appreciated.

Sorry for the long delay. I had not checked this thread since I last wrote.

Okay, well I got the static fixed. The repair shop had to order from Novation a DAC IC (that is, Digital Analog Chip Integrated Circuit). There are two of them on the motherboard, but they only replaced the one controlling the Left channel.

Total bill for parts and labor: $272

This story has some personal bad news in it. I made a backup of all my sounds before taking it to the repair shop. I get my Novation back and they lost all my sounds, and my OS reverted back to 1.5. No biggie, right?

I get it hooked up to my computer, restore OS 2.0, then restore all my sounds from the backup file, right? Wrong. My backup file was corrupted. Argh! Like 7 years of programming down the drain. I was lazy and did not validate the backup file before taking it to the repair shop. I thought, "eh, it's good, and the flash ROM memory can't get accidentally erased anyway." Wrong.

I wrote Novation, and they said "no dice to fixing a corrupted file". I thought maybe I could do the impossible and fix it myself, so I open the corrupted file in Cakewalk Sonar's SYSEX viewer with the idea that maybe I can reconstruct the file using my corrupted file and a good equivalent from Novation's backup (talking 9 years old here). But no can do. Turns out, that each program within a good file utilizes two menu pages of hexadecimal tables, and the page that was corrupted was the critical of the two and could not be worked with. I was thinking of copying and pasting from one file to the other to rebuild a new backup file. Even if I was able to salvage a portion of my programs, it would be time well spent. Nope.

So here I am, starting from scratch to rebuild sounds. The bright spot about this is that programming sounds on the Novation is actually pretty fun and there's a fair amount to dig around into. I just reread the whole owner's manual for the m'teenth time and I had forgotten just how much power is under the hood of this machine.

πŸ“ Reply