Quantcast
MFB Kraftzwerg - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Kraftzwerg
Old 20th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm buying one of these right now, first new hardware in a while, I think it might be exactly what I need in something new.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftd ➑️
I'm buying one of these right now, first new hardware in a while, I think it might be exactly what I need in something new.
...I just got one on Wednesday. Absolutely love it.

Sorry Ninjabob... I don't know about your power supply issue.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, it's a great little thing. Kind of hard to keep in tune, but after a while it stabilizes itself.

Do you guys think that the problem is with power supply compability, or do you think the synth is fecked? That would suck extremely hard.
fdc
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
the build quality of mfb synths aint that good. so maybe you better let it check.
one friend has 3 different mfb and all have a hardware problem.
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
krafty

Build quality is fine on my Kraftzwerg! Midi to CV convertor could be improved upon but hey...what you get for your money with a Kraftzwerg probably can't be beaten by any other kit in modular world.

heres a cut down version of my very first session with it
in stand alone mode, bits of the 3rd movement remind me of some horror incidental music.

Old 21st May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheninja ➑️
Yeah, it's a great little thing. Kind of hard to keep in tune, but after a while it stabilizes itself.

Do you guys think that the problem is with power supply compability, or do you think the synth is fecked? That would suck extremely hard.
Hey ninjabob! sorry to hear about the prob with yours! I would suggest you do try and get an exact PSU match before anything else, although the spec of the new one did sound fine? but you just never know so eliminate that unknown first.
Old 21st May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morechips ➑️
Hey ninjabob! sorry to hear about the prob with yours! I would suggest you do try and get an exact PSU match before anything else, although the spec of the new one did sound fine? but you just never know so eliminate that unknown first.
I went all over town today on a hunt for the right PSU. Couldn't find anything that yielded other results than the same problem with the ADSR lights being on all the time, and no sound. Could this have to do with the fact that the synth needs AC? Also; the Monacor psu that came with the synth says this on it:

Pri: 230V-/50Hz/11VA.
Sec: 12V-/550mA.

I've only focused on the secondary values, and not the primary: what does 11VA mean? For the Vanson adaptor I bought says this on it:

Pri: 10-240V-50/60 Hz 0.55A.

Is the 11VA of the original PSU linked to the 0.55A on the replacement? And could this be related to the trouble with my Kraftzwerg?

Sorry for going on about this so much, kinda panicking for next week's tour here...
Old 22nd May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I went all over town today on a hunt for the right PSU. Couldn't find anything that yielded other results than the same problem with the ADSR lights being on all the time, and no sound. Could this have to do with the fact that the synth needs AC? Also; the Monacor psu that came with the synth says this on it:

Pri: 230V-/50Hz/11VA.
Sec: 12V-/550mA.

I've only focused on the secondary values, and not the primary: what does 11VA mean? For the Vanson adaptor I bought says this on it:

Pri: 10-240V-50/60 Hz 0.55A.

Is the 11VA of the original PSU linked to the 0.55A on the replacement? And could this be related to the trouble with my Kraftzwerg?

Sorry for going on about this so much, kinda panicking for next week's tour here...
A replacement PSU must output AC. Don't plug a PSU that is outputting DC into the Kraftzwerg!
I am pretty sure the 11VA is just a reference to the overall capacity of the PSU 11VA = 11watts.
If the Vanson you bought is AC output and is 12v/550mA it should be fine! and the problem is most likely with the Kraftzwerg. It is probably a simple fix whatever the problem is but i guess that doesn't help with the tour, unless you know a tech who can fit it in before you go.

Good luck!
Old 24th May 2011
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So, I got an email from Manfred Fricke first thing Monday morning after I sent an e-mail on friday evening, stating that I'd need an AC/AC psu, not AC/DC. So I went on an AC/AC hunt and managed to score one in the outskirts of town, and everything is now working perfectly!

So let the record state that your Kraftzwerg will act weird unless it gets proper power from an AC/AC PSU. And that Manfred is great at replying to customer e-mails!
Old 24th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I quite liked it, but I wasn't blown away. I found the connectors to be a bit of a pain in terms of getting an out into my interface and the envs weren't awesomely snappy... which prompted me to sell it to simonator.
Old 24th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkovsky ➑️
I quite liked it, but I wasn't blown away. I found the connectors to be a bit of a pain in terms of getting an out into my interface and the envs weren't awesomely snappy... which prompted me to sell it to simonator.
Interesting... I personally find the envelopes to be incredibly snappy (for a non-percussion-specific synth.).

Check this demo of the MFB Synth II (Same as Kraftzwerg, only with patch memory & sequencer... but no semi-modular re-routing options.):

As for the connections... turned out I had the bits lying around already; mono-mini-jack to XLR cable > DI box > Line-in of my interface. Seems to be working a treat.

Personally, I absolutely LOVE the thing. Just wish I could snatch some more time to use it... maybe later today!
Old 25th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So, I got an email from Manfred Fricke first thing Monday morning after I sent an e-mail on friday evening, stating that I'd need an AC/AC psu, not AC/DC. So I went on an AC/AC hunt and managed to score one in the outskirts of town, and everything is now working perfectly!

So let the record state that your Kraftzwerg will act weird unless it gets proper power from an AC/AC PSU. And that Manfred is great at replying to customer e-mails!

So I was right about making sure you had AC output.

Ditto Simonators findings re-envelopes, they are pretty snappy, with definite percussive possibilities and tight attack bass sounds.
Old 27th May 2011
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
So I was right about making sure you had AC output.
Yep, thanks a lot!
Old 27th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ditto Simonators findings re-envelopes, they are pretty snappy, with definite percussive possibilities and tight attack bass sounds.
... I didn't state explicitly (though it does vaguely mention it in on screen text.) that even the drums in that video a couple of posts back are all from the Synth II (Kraftzwerg).

I'm finding myself dialing in some attack on amp envelopes, even on sound I want to be punchy.
Old 25th August 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
will these ever be re-released?
Old 25th August 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
They seem impossible to find now?!
Old 25th August 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_tooth ➑️
will these ever be re-released?
Manfred has moved on to the Dominion synths. The modules that make up the Kraftzwerg are still available though if you wanted to build one in Eurorack format.
Old 25th August 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
MFB now has a Kraftzwerg II, don't know if you can actually buy one. Some European dealers list them as "not currently in stock".

Old 27th August 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified ➑️
MFB now has a Kraftzwerg II, don't know if you can actually buy one. Some European dealers list them as "not currently in stock".]
Probably not. It's been discontinued from MFB. Actually they only sell Dominion 1, Tanzbar and 522 now. And some eurorack modules.

http://mfberlin.de/en/device/

A shame. But I got my Kraftzwerg ll one year ago
πŸ“ Reply