Quantcast
MFB Kraftzwerg - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MFB Kraftzwerg
Old 28th January 2011 | Show parent
  #31
pmj
Gear Head
 
pmj's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Very basic query; is it possible to self trigger the Kraftzwerg so that it keeps a continuous drone running without the need for an external Midi or CV trigger?

I used to have a MFB Synth-Lite and that has a "lock" if you want to do this. Just wondered if they'd carried this over to the bigger machines?
Old 28th January 2011 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Julian ➡️
Very basic query; is it possible to self trigger the Kraftzwerg so that it keeps a continuous drone running without the need for an external Midi or CV trigger?

I used to have a MFB Synth-Lite and that has a "lock" if you want to do this. Just wondered if they'd carried this over to the bigger machines?
yes - you can open up the VCA by turning the gain past 50% - so it is a continous tone
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
  #33
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
any further thoughts on the Kraftzwerg?

hi there - could anyone who has bought one of these (eg: those who have commented in this thread) let me know if theirs still works ok? i was just about to buy one after much deliberation regarding a modular setup (i'm thinking of getting this, playing with it, and then figuring out what i'd like to change/ add....and then hooking it up to more esoteric/ odd modules from all sorts of manufacturers. i'd probably hold onto it though as it's make a nice portable base system)

i just read some horror stories about them breaking down/ components failing (and the midi interface not working properly - although this last one may not be a biggie, as i'd probably buy a better one for my modular anyway and just trigger it from that)

any comments welcome (i've heard it, so i like it's sound.....just whether it keeps on ticking!)
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
  #34
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
mine works OK

it is made cheap but I would not say it is not solid

bdw - it only made me going full modular faster :O)
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad9k ➡️
mine works OK

it is made cheap but I would not say it is not solid

bdw - it only made me going full modular faster :O)
great to hear it - oh, don't you worry....i know what i'm getting myself into

have pretty much set aside (mentally) around £2500 for my modular, and was gonna blow it all in one go.....but that just led me to plan for more and more modules ("just in case" i missed something out that i wasn't expecting to need.....)

i think getting it all at once might also take some of the fun out of it....

if i get the kraftzwerg i save a bit of cash and can then look at more esoteric/ bizarre stuff (tiptop z3000/ livewire afg/ plague bearer/ metasonix etc....)

by the way....the MFB sequencer looks great fun - the Urzwerg

have looked a loads of them (and have the
he Oberkorn at work) and not many have ALL the options this one has (shuffle/ direction/ option of 2x16 or 4x8 steps....)


but then, the Megazwerg ALSO looks fun.............

any other experiences of any of these items welcome! (esp. kraftzwerg)
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Im prob gonna be selling mine shortly if anyone is interested...(EU)
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
some my comments from other thread You might not read:

Got two semi modulars: de & kraftzwerg


Kraftzwerg is very nice but it just lack balls that de have.


Modulation options of de seem smaller that kraftzwerg’s but results are better. They bite and growl properly


In practice when we are doing sessions my friend often starts with kraftzwerg because it looks cool and in the end he playes de because the sound is just more tehno slut


Bdw – compared to p6 de is small toy and kraftzwerg just do not exist


About kraftzwerg. It lacks:

  • Manual PW set
  • Portamento
  • Midi Velocity > CV


Portamento&velocity could be done thru another midi>cv unit. I’m doing it with de. Than with nice hammer keyboard kraftzwerg sings and a little bit blows people’s minds ;p
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I just got an MFB Synth II and I like it but have spent only a little time with it. 3 analog VCOs is nice plus CV Gate In.

I am wondering if the Vermona Mono Lancet might be a more professional choice.
Old 10th March 2011 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad9k ➡️
some my comments from other thread You might not read:

Got two semi modulars: de & kraftzwerg


Kraftzwerg is very nice but it just lack balls that de have.


Modulation options of de seem smaller that kraftzwerg’s but results are better. They bite and growl properly


In practice when we are doing sessions my friend often starts with kraftzwerg because it looks cool and in the end he playes de because the sound is just more tehno slut


Bdw – compared to p6 de is small toy and kraftzwerg just do not exist


About kraftzwerg. It lacks:

  • Manual PW set
  • Portamento
  • Midi Velocity > CV


Portamento&velocity could be done thru another midi>cv unit. I’m doing it with de. Than with nice hammer keyboard kraftzwerg sings and a little bit blows people’s minds ;p

thanks for all the help - much appreciated

the issues you mention wouldn't really be a problem as i will be buying a modular synth soon (or at least any extras that i need) and all these issues could be solved there (with modules i was gonna buy anyway - slew limiter or alternative midi-cv for portamento/velocity, pulse width could be set using an adsr set to no attack/decay/release - then just use sustain to choose pulse width....that should work, although it would use up an adsr...i often modulate pulse width anyway.....will be using it for odd sounding stuff mostly)

i actually like the sound of it from what i've heard so far, and it's really just a stepping-stone into my modular (to help me choose my modules without going mad and filling up my rack straight away with stuff i might not need)

anyone tried the module versions? - are they any different?

dark energy is just too limited, modulation-wise (no reset on LFOs, very limited ins and outs, only one osc/ env.....i know i'd get bored with it in an afternoon.....although i'm sure it sounds good if you want more solid, techno-type sounds and basses.....i just want 'orrible messed-up sounds that have options for further mangling with other additional modules/ mixers/ multiples/ etc etc..)
Old 10th March 2011 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Tech ➡️
pulse width could be set using an adsr set to no attack/decay/release - then just use sustain to choose pulse width....that should work, although it would use up an adsr...
nice idea :O)
Old 10th March 2011 | Show parent
  #41
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad9k ➡️
nice idea :O)
I'm not entirely sure about this, but could one use a VCA for this purpose too?

by simply attenuating it and sending it into the PWM cv input?

or am I horribly confused? (i know you can use VCA's to control the AMOUNT of cv applied to a destination - eg: LFO into VCA/ ADSR into cv input of VCA to control/ shape the amount of LFO modulation......but could I simply leave out the ADSR and use an attenuators on the VCA to send a user-controllable constant level into the VC inputs of the Kraftzwerg's oscillator PWM input?



any synth experts care to chime in?
Old 11th March 2011 | Show parent
  #42
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Tech ➡️
I'm not entirely sure about this, but could one use a VCA for this purpose too?

by simply attenuating it and sending it into the PWM cv input?

or am I horribly confused? (i know you can use VCA's to control the AMOUNT of cv applied to a destination - eg: LFO into VCA/ ADSR into cv input of VCA to control/ shape the amount of LFO modulation......but could I simply leave out the ADSR and use an attenuators on the VCA to send a user-controllable constant level into the VC inputs of the Kraftzwerg's oscillator PWM input?



any synth experts care to chime in?
Yes, you could use VCA for this but:
  • You need to feed VCA in with some constant NON ZERO value
  • You need VCA to hear Your oscillators at audiable levels, may also try to feed filter output to mic input on mixer
Old 11th March 2011 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
dlmorley's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
a battery and an attenuator ?
Old 11th March 2011 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➡️
a battery and an attenuator ?
:O) I love this forum. Of course this is obvious, but I would not think this way. Thanx

Bdw

YouTube - Korg Polysix Face Control
Old 11th March 2011 | Show parent
  #45
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad9k ➡️
:O) I love this forum. Of course this is obvious, but I would not think this way. Thanx

Bdw

YouTube - Korg Polysix Face Control

don't worry - me neither! (and i thought i knew a fair bit about synths.....i guess it's the REAL electronics side I'm missing)

to be honest, that's what excites me about modular synthesis - finding mad ways of achieveing things that you are stuck on...that and being able to build your dream synth

OH - by the way....i found that the Kraftzwerg DOES have manual PWM anyway (after all that!)

i can't find the article again now, but it involved using the attenuator labelled cv 4+5 (with the corresponding cv switches set to "off" - eg: middle) - wish i could find the exact instructions

apparently this will then control the pulse width, although it doesn't go across the full range
Old 11th March 2011 | Show parent
  #46
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Tech ➡️
OH - by the way....i found that the Kraftzwerg DOES have manual PWM anyway (after all that!)

i can't find the article again now, but it involved using the attenuator labelled cv 4+5 (with the corresponding cv switches set to "off" - eg: middle) - wish i could find the exact instructions

apparently this will then control the pulse width, although it doesn't go across the full range
hmm very interesting. will check it today/tomorrow and let You know here
Old 11th March 2011 | Show parent
  #47
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad9k ➡️
hmm very interesting. will check it today/tomorrow and let You know here
yes it works, but:
  • ammount of PW modulation is very small
  • switch has to be set to "PWx" not to off (when @off - nothing happenes)
Old 11th March 2011 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
enossified's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad9k ➡️
About kraftzwerg. It lacks:
  • Manual PW set
Actually not true. If you adjust the PWM depth pot with nothing plugged into the jack, it adjusts the PW.

It's a sweet machine, well worth the money simply because of the boatload of stuff...3 VCOs plus 2 LFOs is unheard of in a modular at that low a price.

The inability to "scream" is due to the filter. It's Moogish, thick but not a screamer.
Old 12th March 2011 | Show parent
  #49
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified ➡️
Actually not true. If you adjust the PWM depth pot with nothing plugged into the jack, it adjusts the PW.

It's a sweet machine, well worth the money simply because of the boatload of stuff...3 VCOs plus 2 LFOs is unheard of in a modular at that low a price.

The inability to "scream" is due to the filter. It's Moogish, thick but not a screamer.
yep, but as I said "ammount of PW modulation is very small" (prev post)

bdw - definitly I will not sell Kraftzwerg - great for traveling. but I love my p6 more ;p
Old 12th March 2011 | Show parent
  #50
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified ➡️
The inability to "scream" is due to the filter. It's Moogish, thick but not a screamer.
Yes, everything is because of filter :O) (and this is one of the reasons I want to have modular with big collection of filters)
About this “ability to scream” issue. I would not say that it is all about “scream or not” – it is about quality of result. I have problem with proper words usage – all this “quality kingdom” is between terms such as:


  • Raw
  • Squelchy
  • Thick
  • Screamy


But also


  • Peral
  • Silk

Ballsy is just too broad for describing “filter quality result kingdom”

Krafrzwerg is nice in terms of this kingdom, but for me it just lack “something”
Old 12th March 2011 | Show parent
  #51
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
bdw IMNSHO Kraftzwerg can do a litle bit of screaming
Old 12th March 2011 | Show parent
  #52
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad9k ➡️
yes it works, but:
  • ammount of PW modulation is very small
  • switch has to be set to "PWx" not to off (when @off - nothing happenes)
hi - just happened upon the article i was on about (although it sounds like you've cracked it anyway now....)

here it is:

PWM

I wrote above that manual control of pulse width wasn't supported. OK, I lied. VCO 1 and 2 each have a CV input with a 3-way switch that selects pitch mod, off or PWM. Both inputs share a CV attenuator control (marked CV4&5). If nothing is patched in, adjusting the attenuator does nothing when pitch mod is selected, but if PWM is selected you can manually sweep pulse width. It's not over the whole range though...I'd have to plug the output into a scope to see exactly what's going on. Throwing the switch from off to PWM the VCO will jump from a square to a narrower pulse which can be further adjusted but it can't be adjusted back to a square. Ah, the quirks of analog.



hope this helps!

are you still enjoying the kraftzwerg? am still pondering it
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
  #53
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttech ➡️
are you still enjoying the kraftzwerg? am still pondering it
just been enjoying it ;p

with a proper keyboard and velocity sensivity/portamento
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
  #54
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad9k ➡️
just been enjoying it ;p

with a proper keyboard and velocity sensivity/portamento
sweet. probably gonna get it this week....anyone know if the modules are the same dimensions? they look bigger when all racked up together (on website)

also, what would be the benefits (if any) of having the exact same modules in a eurorack as opposed to just sat on the desk in front?

i can't see any real ones....plus it will cost more and you don't get a nice little portable. is there any difference technically? (i realise that you wouldn't be able to connect the modules to the system bus, but with a couple of leads you're away)

it just works out so cheap to buy the standalone, buy a doepfer case (or 2!) and add only the modules that aren't in the kraftzwerg initially (eg: no LFOs, adsrs, oscs)....I'd maybe also get a really good oscillator and a multimode vcf so i can run things back and forth and make some comparisons for future reference (eg: what benefit is there to spending £205 on one oscillator as opposed to getting an MFB osc02 which has 3 oscs for £164....likewise filters...will be nice to make some comparisons between the cheap and cheerful mfb one and a better one before buying further gear....and trying the MFB oscs into decent filter/ tiptop z3000 into mfb filter...)
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #55
Gear Nut
 
rad9k's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttech ➡️
also, what would be the benefits (if any) of having the exact same modules in a eurorack as opposed to just sat on the desk in front?
For exact ones (as with MFB modules vs Kraftzwerg) it is no difference. BUT For other modules there are things like both linear \ exponential frequency modulations cv in (for osc’s and for filter), and You do not get them with Kraftzwerg. Also individual osc shapes outs can be nice.
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #56
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad9k ➡️
For exact ones (as with MFB modules vs Kraftzwerg) it is no difference. BUT For other modules there are things like both linear \ exponential frequency modulations cv in (for osc’s and for filter), and You do not get them with Kraftzwerg. Also individual osc shapes outs can be nice.
ok, i get that - the kraftzwerg was just gonna be my starter system really (to let me know what I'm missing as much as anything)

am planning on getting some high end oscs and filters to complement it - been ogling the wiard anti-oscillator/ tiptop z3000/ various other wierder oscs like the hertz donut/ gamma wave source

i want at least one (if not 2) that will do lin FM, one that will do wierd digital messed up stuff, and then I'll just use the MFB for more basic stuff....but routed in and out of various other modules (clock dividers/ clock sequencers/ inverters/ voltage controlled envs+switches/ bitcrushers/ wave multipliers etc etc..)
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
enossified's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttech ➡️
hi - just happened upon the article i was on about
I wrote that article
Old 19th March 2011 | Show parent
  #58
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified ➡️
I wrote that article
well thanks because it was helpful!

have you got the lfos to reset, and if so, what did you use?

they need a "negative slope trigger" - am a little confused by this
Old 25th March 2011 | Show parent
  #59
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
well - just got the kraftzwerg up and running and it sounds sweeeeet - good buy so far!!!!!!!!!!!!

filter sounds lovely to my ears - can see the juno comparisons re the oscillators

lovin it
Old 20th May 2011 | Show parent
  #60
Gear Maniac
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
trouble with my kraftzwerg

Hello there.

I've been a pretty happy camper ever since I got my kraftzwerg, but when I unpacked it after a plane ride from Santiago de Compostello to Madrid the Power Supply was broken and didn't get a light on when I plugged it into the wall. So I figured I'd just buy a new one. But it seems that it's not as simple as that, because I bought a cheap Vanson Power supply (this one), which should give the proper power (AC 12V 400mA it says on the back of the synth) and the adaptor gives out 12V up to 1.7A. So it should work right? The polarity is correct, by the way.

But when I plug it in the LFO2 doesn't light up at all and the lights by Out1 and Out2 on the Dual ADSR shines constantly, as does the LFO1 light, and when I connect the MIDI keyboard to it and press keys nothing happens, and there is no sound. There is also no sound when I open up the gain so that it normally would play a drone.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I need to use it for a live on radio gig next tuesday, so I have to fix this.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 9 views: 2206
Avatar for bitleyTM
bitleyTM 25th May 2011
replies: 6316 views: 283078
Avatar for cane creek
cane creek 2nd January 2017
replies: 2381 views: 181221
Avatar for SkyWriter
SkyWriter 5 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump