Novation Drumstation v2
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Novation Drumstation v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock
I wrote to Novation/Focusrite support a few weeks ago about getting hold of a 1.3 chip, no reply yet.
Considering it took me 2 years of emails and phone calls to get a replacement part for my Supernova II, I am not surprised.
Old 15th September 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm having a problem with the 909 toms only.

With only a MIDI control keyboard connected and playing the 909 hi tom, then the mid tom quickly after one another, I hear the mid tom making a weird cut off sound.

I have a good 1 Amp power supply, so it's not that. It only does it going down the 909 toms and not up. Everything else is fine.

Can anyone else reproduce this issue?

Many thanks...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead2010 ➡️

With only a MIDI control keyboard connected and playing the 909 hi tom, then the mid tom quickly after one another, I hear the mid tom making a weird cut off sound.

I have a good 1 Amp power supply, so it's not that. It only does it going down the 909 toms and not up. Everything else is fine.

Many thanks...
I haven't got the DS anymore, but I'm sure that happened to me too. I don't think it can handle multiple toms in succession very well...
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel ➡️
Considering it took me 2 years of emails and phone calls to get a replacement part for my Supernova II, I am not surprised.
Oh well, I had fantastic support from them in the past, and fast too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Many thanks...
Which software version are you on? ("power the Drumstation up while holding down the Audition button"). Do you get this on all patches? Might be an output assignment thing?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
Which software version are you on? ("power the Drumstation up while holding down the Audition button"). Do you get this on all patches? Might be an output assignment thing?
I'm on the 1.1 version. I already have a call in for the OS EPROMs. I set them all to the center of the main outs and still have the issue.

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➡️
Oh well, I had fantastic support from them in the past, and fast too.
back in 99, they had this girl with the best british accent answering the phone. she was awesome
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 ➡️
back in 99, they had this girl with the best british accent answering the phone. she was awesome
hmmm, accents ....
Old 17th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Female british accents are soooooooo sexy heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
v2 has louder outputs..

i made sure not to get v1 just for that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Many thanks...
Hm maybe i never noticed it, sorry i sold mine awhile back. hope someone can help you out.

edit: irrelevant if you were talking about v1.. i had v2...
Old 10th February 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Im looking for a nice, inexpensive drum machine, and was set on an mfb 522 for awhile. Ive been.saving cash, and recently a v2 drumstation has popped up for sale for $160. Im going for the 808 sound, but want knobs and hardware. You tube doesnt show much demos of drumstations. I enjoy the shins of the 522, but if the drumstation is as good as it sounds, I may go that route. 522? Or drumstation? I have a yamaha rm1x to sequence with.
Tldr drumstation vs 522
Old 5th May 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by codenamerofl ➡️
Im looking for a nice, inexpensive drum machine, and was set on an mfb 522 for awhile. Ive been.saving cash, and recently a v2 drumstation has popped up for sale for $160. Im going for the 808 sound, but want knobs and hardware. You tube doesnt show much demos of drumstations. I enjoy the shins of the 522, but if the drumstation is as good as it sounds, I may go that route. 522? Or drumstation? I have a yamaha rm1x to sequence with.
Tldr drumstation vs 522
Got a drumstation v2 (OS1.3) in the post this morning off ebay. I'm using an old Korg Electribe ER-1 as a sequencer (going to upgrade this, electribe only allows 8 parts to be sequenced at any one time). Here's what I noticed after only an hour or so. The kicks and snares are sufficient for anyone who hasn't the money for the real thing. But they are not the real thing by a long shot. The hats are not great. When they are turned up full they are easily drowned out by kick, snare and clap. I had to turn these down to mix nicely with the hats. Having said that I haven't started using the individual outs yet. I plan to split the sounds, group down and compress the mix. Should brighten it up a bit. It has a din sync which I stuck into my 606 for hats and snare. I had a cracking good acid jam this morning with the drumstation, said 606 and my trusty x0xbox. Makes for a great craic all round. The electribe and the drumstation cost me less than 300euro and has given me part of the pleasure I might someday feel when I have enough to buy a real 808/909. And that I feel is money well spent.

I will let you know if I come across any of these polyphony/truncated toms issues

Last edited by realeoin; 5th May 2012 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: PS
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realeoin ➡️
Got a drumstation v2 (OS1.3) in the post this morning off ebay. I'm using an old Korg Electribe ER-1 as a sequencer (going to upgrade this, electribe only allows 8 parts to be sequenced at any one time). Here's what I noticed after only an hour or so. The kicks and snares are sufficient for anyone who hasn't the money for the real thing. But they are not the real thing by a long shot. The hats are not great. When they are turned up full they are easily drowned out by kick, snare and clap. I had to turn these down to mix nicely with the hats. Having said that I haven't started using the individual outs yet. I plan to split the sounds, group down and compress the mix. Should brighten it up a bit. It has a din sync which I stuck into my 606 for hats and snare. I had a cracking good acid jam this morning with the drumstation, said 606 and my trusty x0xbox. Makes for a great craic all round. The electribe and the drumstation cost me less than 300euro and has given me part of the pleasure I might someday feel when I have enough to buy a real 808/909. And that I feel is money well spent.

I will let you know if I come across any of these polyphony/truncated toms issues
Thank you for the reply!

I ended up getting a drumstation... two months ago i think. i got a great price on it, it was a twofer with a drumstation v2 and an Emu Orbit 9090 v2. great combo, but regardless I really, really enjoy the drumstation. Midi CCs for every control is AWESOME, and mine doesn't have the problem described with the toms. I know one thing about it is that it doesn't have enough grit; enough punch. I run it through my Mackie CR1604VLZ and it sounds great, with the gain jacked, i can almost cover "Bassdrum war" by ceephax acid crew but alas, there ARE polyphony and decay problems with the bassdrum, but not something that necessary effects the acid/analogue goofyness I write. glad i picked it up instead of the 522. 909/808 goodness with modern flair, and if i prefer some different drums, i have the orbit 9090 and a 707 at my disposal.

cheers!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I use a d-station sequenced from an mpc1000.

I prefer working with the d-station over samples. It would need a lot of samples to cover the ground of the d-station. I add some swing in the mpc and assign the q-link sliders to the d-station to record movements into the sequencer. I also run the d-stations outputs into the mpc inputs for realtime effects and processing. I could sample off sounds if I ever need more polyphony, but so far I haven't run out.

I had a cr-78 which sounded different to any cr-78 I'd heard on record but I liked the sound so was happy to use it. Likewise the drumstation maybe sounds a bit different to recordings with a real 808 or 909, but I like the sound and am happy enough to use it to make my own music (especially for the price). I like turning up the distortion just a notch to add a bit of character.
Old 24th October 2012
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think a lot of this is down to processing.
The 909 has hot outputs, but its still pretty flat unless you start processing the sounds.
I have both.. fact is, if i use an SSL eq and my focusrite red 3 compressor on the drumstation it sounds as good as the 909, and it really does...
I'll say this, if a drumstation is good enough for Laurent Garnier, its pretty much covered for me.
📝 Reply