Which Analog Synth(s) For Sounds Of The 70's & 80's - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which Analog Synth(s) For Sounds Of The 70's & 80's
Old 3rd February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Which Analog Synth(s) For Sounds Of The 70's & 80's

Hi Again SlutZ,

I am wanting to start focusing on live performance with a band - Taking the sort of sounds that where coming out of the late 70's, 80's and maybe.. the early 90's, and beefing them up and making some kind of fat (heavy-ish) danceable synth pop heh

Similar to Cut Copy ( Cut Copy on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos ) - But slightly heavier.

I was hoping you could help me out with which synths could help me achieve this sound (Revved up 80's)

I do like having a stripped down studio as i am more productive in this environment.. So I would like to have only 1, or 2, or 3 to cover all my bases.

I have been reading what similar bands use and the Roland Jupiter 8, and Dave Smith Poly Evolver are mentioned.

I would also like them to be mostly reliable (I am very interested in [but not limited to] modern analogs)

THANKS!!!!!

PS. If you want to mention any cool pedals to run through for live performance id be gratefull to, or a performance sampler with pads (or kontakt or battery with midi pads).

Remember all forcused on live performance.

LOVE ALL YOU SLUTZ!
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For live I reckon I would go for the P08. The sound didn't blow me away, but I got the feeling if I spent time with it, I could get to like it a lot, BUT it's very flexible, not too heavy and has some nice features. For the price it's good.
An Oberheim Xpander might be a good live choice too. Great sounding and multitimbral. Just no keyboard if that's an issue!
Live is the place to be these days. get it out there!!
Good luck
David
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would say an Arp Odyssey it really does have that 70's feel to it.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you want 100% authenticity you need a synth of the 70's or 80's, if less is acceptable take one of those workstations from the big three like everyone else does.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dude. Buy a Prophet 5 a Roland and a Moog.
Then you are covered.
I am also making Synth Pop tunes at the moment. More like The Presets meets NIN.
I already have the P5 and now I am trying to find a Juno and a Moog Source for good prices.
NOt cheap but good.
Anyone selling?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
if u want a cheap 80Β΄s poly look for a korg ex-800 or poly 800/800 mkII and get a Atomahawk mod (cheap aswell) i luv my p5 but there is something nice and dusty about the korgs

KORG POLY-800: Sound demo
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys - keep it coming

Err.. forgive me for asking but which 'big three' work stations would you be talking about?

Thanks again guys! love your work.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Big 3 = Korg, Roland....... Yamaha?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Wow checked out the sound links for that korg poly800..

Thats SWEET and there so cheap on ebay!

Thanks!

More suggestions anyone?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10 ➑️
Err.. forgive me for asking but which 'big three' work stations would you be talking about?
Korg, Roland, Yamaha. Their DAWs are usually built llike tanks, are reliable, include tons of sounds and fx and are imho sufficient for live use.

Lately I've been at a Manfred Mann concert. He played one of those affordable romplers, no Moog to be found anywhere I suppose that noone but me noticed because most of a performance depends on the playing, only very little on 100% sound authenticity.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oberheim had a big part in 80s music as well. Look for a Matrix 6.

alexP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I work with the original keyboardist from Cameo & I know his go to (70's) lead machine was the MOOG Model D. He has since sold it for the Voyager & loves the hell out it using it in almost every session.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Roland SH101 (Super fat bass & soaring leads)
Prophet 5 (Simply the best!)
Korg MS10 (amazing fun)
Yamaha DX7

That will sort you my friend!
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ok..

So this is a bit of a dream list but i will make it there adventually heh

I have narrowed it down to Dave Smiths Poly Evolver, Roland Jupiter 8 and a Moog Minimoog Voyager..

Im going to use an MFB-KULT drum module for the 80's drum noises, A Jomox 999 to give it some meat and i already own a Akai MPC 1000 as my working sampler.

Im going to buy the poly evolver first (I have the money for it now), And sadly will be selling my access virus TI (Anyone looking to buy?, i live in NSW, Australia)..

Now all i need is to figure out how to do everything 'out of the box' and get a few people to jam with..

If you can see any major problems with this stupid plan let me know (Wow im leaving my self open there arent i

Cheers big ears

heh

ps. i may be able to score a free yamaha dx7, also the korg poly 800's are so cheap and sound great that i may have to pick one up.

Sic yeah! gearlust.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
how does the Prophet 08 compare to the Jupiter 8
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Only the '8' can link them I would think.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if u want to limit yourself to new products i.e. under warranty etc.. get Andromeda, and if $$$ allows you to, combine it with DSI P8. that will cover most duties you could run into.

i gigged with andromeda and its incredibly powerful in that situation. setting a split to feature a warm oberheim-ish retro pad, with a moog type lead on top (one nice example of a "70s" setup) is a piece of cake.

it also does big bass, arpeggiators, analog drums.. you name it. DSI is a nice complement for an aproximation of typical Curtis/Sequential sizzley brite 80s sound.

if you want to venture into vintage insturments, and have a budget to allow it.. id look into Prophet5 rev3 or a Jupiter8 to combine with Andromeda.

i took Jupiter8 and Andromeda as my ready-for-anything live analog setup. with a rhodes 54 piano on the side it was heaven. tho a good rom-based rhodes emulation like nord electro could also fit the bill if more portability is desired.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
ROLAND SH-32!!!!!

It's an amazing li'l box! The face is painted white, very visible in low-light situations. The SH-32 was a forerunner to the SH-101 keyboard, but the specs (and the sounds) are definitely better. Polyphony on the -32 is, um, 32-voice, 21 more than the newer SH. It's just plain phat, like that old 70s and 80s gear. I bought mine used for 125.00US, about the going rate, so it's a good bargain as well. So, so very tweakable, there's hardly anything in the vintage analog camp that can't be accurately emulated on this box. If you're even thinking about giving up the bucks for one of those "big 3" workstations, do yourself a massive favor and think again. As for "rompler" alternatives, if you can find Roland's SR-JV80-04 "Vintage Synth" expansion board (50-100.00US used) and a synth or module to stick it in, you'll be doing far better on the vintage sounds score than if you were to purchase any of the current offerings from the "big 3". If money is not a concern, I'm very happy with the synth section on my Nord Stage, rudimentary as it is. It just sounds nice, and it is also easy to tweak. Only your ears will know for sure which way to go, and for what you're wanting to do there are tons and tons of options. I would start with the SH-32 though, because bang-for-the-buck-wise I don't believe you can do better. Happy hunting!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, Thanks guys,

I was going to use the moog voyager was going to be my main bass machine (and leads),
The poly evolver as my pads and strainge noise machine (I have also read that this is very close to a modern prophet 5),
And the Jupiter 8 as my everything / pump out wack 80's noises machine

How does the Andromeda compare to the Poly Evolver?

I am attracted to synths with on-board sequencers for live.

Could the Prophet'08 be a better choice than the Poly Evolver?

Im leaning towards keeping all my percussion separate to my synths.

Think ghost busters theme song on steroids heh

Thankyou, i love you all.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Holy Crap!

I just listened to some A6 Andromeda youtube's..

That thing is amazing! it can do everything & Sounds Great!

Could be onto something with this Andromeda / Prophet'08 or Jupiter 8 Combo.

Im am still focused on live performance and ease of use (one that will inspire me to write music and songs rather than get lost in designing sounds for hours as with my virus

Opinions appreciated!

Thanks
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleelsaleh ➑️
ROLAND SH-32!!!!!

The SH-32 was a forerunner to the SH-101 keyboard, but the specs (and the sounds) are definitely better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleelsaleh ➑️
ROLAND SH-32!!!!!

It's an amazing li'l box! The face is painted white, very visible in low-light situations. The SH-32 was a forerunner to the SH-101 keyboard, but the specs (and the sounds) are definitely better. Polyphony on the -32 is, um, 32-voice, 21 more than the newer SH.
I think you meant SH-201. The sh-101 came out LONG before the 32 & was monophonic.

Roland needs to figure out less similar names for their stuff...
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you can find a Juno 60 for cheap, thats a good bet too. Real sound, w/ patch memory to keep things easy on stage.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi. Dont know if anyone mentioned it yet but a Roland JX-3p would do the trick.
I piked one up last week for 250.00 and it is really cool.
Totaly RAD man. Just like the 80s.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
prophet 600 is nice.
My other "analog" is a Korg EX-8000 and its wonderful how it can sound 1970's
Its also so cheesy, but a GOOD cheese. You know because the sounds are 256k wave samples so its so small and it sounds so "Fake" like an old analog should trying to sound like a real Hammond and it cant so its going to sound old. (Analog filters)

Also the EX-8000 is super cheap, $250 for rack. Keyboard is a bit higher.
I considered the alesis A6 but decided to pocket the difference between the prophet 600 and the alesis $500 VS $2200!! Does what I need and saved!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
OBX for sure.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➑️
OBX for sure.
Indeed a great board, but maybe not the best solution for live performance with a band, unless you can hire this guy to carry it for you all the time:

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
my god i want one too!!!

what about KORG Polysix?? i found it really cheap , like Β£100 so i'm really tempted to check it out although im sure it's nowhere close to moog babies...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
alesis a6 mmmm some sounds are truly amazing mmmm

YouTube - Alesis A6 Andromeda sound demo
Old 16th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
lets see,i had a couple of pretty cool keyboard setups that changed thru the times.
70's rig:
fenderRohdes suitcase
Minimoog model d
Hohner clavinet
Arp String Ensemble
80"s rig:
Yamaha Electric Grand
Prophet 5 rev2
Minimoog model d
2nd 80"s rig
Roland s-50 sampler
roland D-50
Dx-7
MInimoog Model d
Roland mks80 superjupiter
Prophet 5
These are all setups i gigged with back then.
Things do change over time but i miss all those analogs.Moog is the only survivor.Po8 rack is on the way.D-50 is used ocasionally.

Dan P
πŸ“ Reply