Quantcast
Roland VariOS ..... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland VariOS .....
Old 2nd February 2009
Deleted 231be8b
Roland VariOS .....

I've noticed quite a few of these come up used for not alot of cash and I'm thinking of getting one for the 303/JP8 emulations.

I've had a quick look on the Roland website and it says that the 303/JP8 are "trials" ?

Does this mean they are demo versions and I'd need to purchase the full versions as I always thought they were both free with the VariOS system ?
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i always wondered, becouse you can upload those "trials" to pcmcia cards, and boot from the cards, not from the internal memory in the VariOS,

i wonder if those "trials" loaded to Cards, can be loaded with others like V-Synth ?
Old 2nd February 2009

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB ➑️
I've had a quick look on the Roland website and it says that the 303/JP8 are "trials" ?
No.

And BTW, skip VariOS and get yourself Acid if you want that kind of stuff. That pitch removal algorithm in VarioOS does not work properly, so the pitch sometimes randomly jumps... sounds really like a piece of crap. I've sold mine within a month. Basically a vapourware that has never been finished.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 231be8b
I actually wanted it for the 303 and JP8 synths and Im not too fussed about the audio editing stuff.

how close is the emulation ?

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB ➑️
how close is the emulation ?
As of JP-8 - you can put about just any name on that softsynth - Jupiter 8, Joe 9, Bob, Mike 302. It's just a graphics. Has nothing to do with actual thing.

As of 303 emulation, Rebirth 303 freeware is 10x better.
Deleted 231be8b
ha ha , oh well

I guess I won't be getting one after all then

thanks for that
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Had a VP9000 and it's cool for Variphrase tricks, but I'm sure the V synth would be way better if you wanted stuff based on that. But getting the Vari for just the softsynths, would be more trouble than it's worth. Take the money and buy some better gear. You could check out the D16 Phosycon. If you want a soft JP8, you could check out Arturia.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland has uploaded fake demos ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
As of JP-8 - you can put about just any name on that softsynth - Jupiter 8, Joe 9, Bob, Mike 302. It's just a graphics. Has nothing to do with actual thing.

As of 303 emulation, Rebirth 303 freeware is 10x better.
rebirth 338 is nice, easy to program than a real tb303
but lacks some nice real tb303 tricks, like UP&DOWN at same time, in my ex-tb303 had a chorus/chord sound i liked , none emulation has.

anyway, i like to trust my ears,
are you saying that Roland has uploaded fake demos ?
Attached Files

varios_8demo.mp3 (3.50 MB, 2582 views)

VariOS_303Demo.mp3 (3.06 MB, 2325 views)

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 ➑️
are you saying that Roland has uploaded fake demos ?
Not sure what you're trying to say.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
Not sure what you're trying to say.
heh heh heh

- CM
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➑️
Had a VP9000 and it's cool for Variphrase tricks, but I'm sure the V synth would be way better if you wanted stuff based on that. But getting the Vari for just the softsynths, would be more trouble than it's worth. Take the money and buy some better gear. You could check out the D16 Phosycon. If you want a soft JP8, you could check out Arturia.
agreed.

i have never tried the d16. always wondered. BUT, MarcB, have you ever tried using your virus? It has pretty decent 303 blurble.

The vsynth does a 303 sort of. It has a 303 filter which is interesting. I don't think anybody would ever mistake a vsynth for a real 303. It does a decent emu, but like most emus falls apart when you push it. I imagine w/careful programming and staying w/in bounds it could do the trick. But where is the fun in that? Might have better luck w/vsynth gt, which is 96k internally if i recall? that might give it a little bit extra clarity. but at the high res / high end it sounds very synthy and not very tb303'ey, if that makes any sense.

Here is a quick and dirty 303ish vsynth loop to illustrate/test, straight for initial bit, filter test for middle, glide test at end. Does it sound like an overdriven 303? Not really. If you strip it of all fx it sounds nothing like a 303 really. W/fx, in my opinion, more of a Monet impression of a 303 at sunrise, when everyone would be too tired to care. Could a better synthist / programmer coax a more 303 sound out of it? Definitely
Attached Files

vsynth 303.mp3 (1.99 MB, 2298 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't waste your time with the VariOS.

The so called 303 and Jupiter are nothing more than the VA section of the V-Synth version 1

It doesn't even have the "TB" filter on the 303 emulator.

There are far better software version out there.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It looks ugly too!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Varios is sooooo bad at emulations.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The VariOS is only useful if you have the VC-2 Vocal designer card for it.

Then it's a killer single space rack Vocoder
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought the VariOS on clearance from I think it was American Musical awhile back because they were giving away the D-50 card for FREE if you bought it between blah and blah date. Bought it (hey, you try to find a D-50 under warranty these days!) played with it, sold it like a month or two later and actually made a few bucks. Not worth it. The thing that scared me the most was the fact that the software, which is something you really need for the VariOS side of things was only for XP and Vista was out or on its way out from what I remember. Oh goody, so this thing was going to be made defunct because Microsoft moved on and Roland wasn't. The D-50 didn't float my boat at all, so off it went. If you could get it for $100, go for it I suppose. If you really want a D-50 that would be 'newer', maybe. I'd pass, and I certainly don't miss mine for a minute.

Devon
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
is the varios still a worthwhile purchase with Windows 7 and / or OSX?
Old 11th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude163 ➑️
is the varios still a worthwhile purchase with Windows 7 and / or OSX?
Beware the vproducer version for varios won't run on osx lion at Allan's I don't think it will run on win 7 but not sure. If you score one you will probably have to run a windowsxp virtual machine for vproducer.
πŸ“ Reply