Quantcast
JP-8 vs OBX vs P5 - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JP-8 vs OBX vs P5
Old 20th February 2009
  #61
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
personally, id take the jupiter-8 but its totally subjective.
some people love the obx. i can appreciate it for what it is, but ive never had the urge to keep one in my studio setup. its really up to you.
id be curious to know what you finally buy and what you think of it.
good luck
mini
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
  #62
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinylittlerunt ➡️
The OB-X is just really cool.

Indeed!!


Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
Indeed!!


Is it yours?
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Space Station's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
yeh +1
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
  #65
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It was a "game" for our friend analogbass and his "theory" that Rolands do not sound warm.

As you can see he didn't joined it - which speaks for itself about his "theory".
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
  #66
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
P-5 is the only one with Filter FM, so I'd lean towards that, but Jupiter 8 is so nice, that would probably win for me.
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Played today JP-8 (during recording session), side by side with two P5 (rev.2 and 3) and OBX.
P5 (both revs) won in general, although each has own strength.
I could easily forget JP-8.
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
analogbass's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
It was a "game" for our friend analogbass and his "theory" that Rolands do not sound warm.

As you can see he didn't joined it - which speaks for itself about his "theory".

Angry "solaris" once again with a hissy fit based on defensiveness and speculation. Maybe it didn't matter to me to reply to something arcane like "define warmth" lol one either comprehends it or doesn't. Rolands have a particular filter sound that some do NOT appreciate, and it ain't warm either.

Now that the need to debate "warmth" has failed, time to ramp up the nerd quotient further with 4 different samples, none of which were programmed to sound warm, thereby dumbing down the entire exercise and proving nothing lol. FYI "solaris" you can make the Moogs sound like Rolands, now do the opposite and make the Rolands sound warm like a Moog.. and produce a short list of Rolands used on records that sound warm, especially bass sounds...waiting...

Quote:
I could easily forget JP-8.
Bingo. J8's nice definitely, but is no shoe-in against the top ****. Rolands often created negative biases against Japanese synths in general, for those not enamored with their filters and sound.
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
  #69
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass ➡️
Angry "solaris" once again with a hissy fit based on defensiveness and speculation. Maybe it didn't matter to me to reply to something arcane like "define warmth" lol one either comprehends it or doesn't. Rolands have a particular filter sound that some do NOT appreciate, and it ain't warm either.

Now that the need to debate "warmth" has failed, time to ramp up the nerd quotient further with 4 different samples, none of which were programmed to sound warm, thereby dumbing down the entire exercise and proving nothing lol. FYI "solaris" you can make the Moogs sound like Rolands, now do the opposite and make the Rolands sound warm like a Moog.. and produce a short list of Rolands used on records that sound warm, especially bass sounds...waiting...
You demand to be shown a warm sounding Roland, yet you FAIL to describe what is "warmth".



Smells like a troll...
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
  #70
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
'Warm' is such a subjective term. Hardly worth having an eon length argument about.

I like plenty of Roland synths myself.

Given these three choices I would probably choose the P5, but again, very subjective.
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
  #71
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️


Is it yours?
Yes sir! It is mine.

Soon it'll have new (cherry) wood side panels. I also completely restored it externally. We talk some serious PORN / pimpin'. Stay tuned!
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
  #72
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
Yes sir! It is mine.

Soon it'll have new (cherry) wood side panels. I also completely restored it externally. We talk some serious PORN / pimpin'. Stay tuned!
You might consider selling it soon
Old 28th February 2009 | Show parent
  #73
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➡️
You might consider selling it soon
Why certainly!

I will sell it....
































...never! heh
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
  #74
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass ➡️
Angry "solaris" once again with a hissy fit based on defensiveness...
LOL
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Mike6581's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It's mad to say that a Jupiter 8 can't sound warm because it doesn't sound like a Moog! A Moog sounds like a Moog! This thread shows how subjective it all is. Look at attitudes to the Jupiter 8, you've got an entire cross-section of opinion on the beast. I'm firmly in the Jupiter 8 fan club. I love the flexibility of the thing and the fact that you can make it as subtle or as bombastic as you like and it still sounds good (to me anyway). I also think the filter receives an undue amount of stick, I actually think it's a great filter and having the option of 12/24db is really handy.

The reality with the old VCO synths is that they're all unique and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. The only true way to get round it is to have them all - assuming you've got money to burn that is! Though truth be told, if I had a brown envelope with £3000+ in it with the words "vintage synth fund" (I wish!!!) I don't think I'd get a P5, Memory Moog or an Oberheim... I'd probably get an Elka Synthex. There I've said it!!!!
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
  #76
Deleted 8456dd3
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike6581 ➡️
<SNIP> Though truth be told, if I had a brown envelope with £3000+ in it with the words "vintage synth fund" (I wish!!!) I don't think I'd get a P5, Memory Moog or an Oberheim... I'd probably get an Elka Synthex. There I've said it!!!!
Good choice..
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
  #77
Lives for gear
 
cosmos's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
i dont understand all that warm this and warm that .. all 3 synths sound good and each takes a different part in the mix, i would not want to use 4 different keyboards with the same tone shape/sound in a mix, even if so i would probobly cut low freq on some to make all sit nicely together. here goes the "warmth" ...

i guess whatever get the most low freq in the spectrum would be called warm by some people, other may consider reverb as warmth..
Old 2nd March 2009 | Show parent
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I've found that the Jupiter 8, Jupiter 4, and Juno 60 can sound pretty warm - as far as synths go. It's all just opinions though, and I don't think anyone should get too worked up over someone else's.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 64 views: 14929
Avatar for Don Solaris
Don Solaris 25th September 2015
replies: 9465 views: 860867
Avatar for greggybud
greggybud 1 day ago
replies: 10952 views: 1337867
Avatar for matt pinchin
matt pinchin 19 minutes ago
replies: 143 views: 10786
Avatar for BM0
BM0 25th January 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump