JP-8 vs OBX vs P5 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JP-8 vs OBX vs P5
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass ➑️
Find me a warm Roland bass sound and post it, or it didn't happen-they're non-existent.
If that's what you want to play.... be my guest.

Here:

A.mp3
B.mp3
C.mp3
D.mp3

One of the synths is a Roland. Others are Moogs, etc...

Find me a Roland from these four.

Disclaimer: These are actual recordings from the units, no tricks, no hidden catch, etc. I can post more or as much as it is needed of each unit.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I love the defensiveness here, essentially the in the box thinking that's so strong that the belief is propogated that every beloved synth must have every single attribute, which is untrue.
eh? I'm just saying I disagree with you and to me certain Roland synths do indeed sound warm.

On the other hand I think certain Roland analogues dont sound particularly warm. IE the RS-09(dry and cold), SH-101, VP-330. But I still love them. No synth does everything hence me owing 27 of the damn things. I'm sure most of the seasoned players/collectors here would agree. Warm is not an essential attribute for me to love a synth. If everything sounded warm you'd end up with a mix of mush.

As a side note the RS-505 doesn't sound anything like the VP-330 strings, comp-letely different circuit design/ chorus circuit design, as the RS-09 sounds nothing like anything else Roland string wise too. (I havent heard the RS-101) Anyway...I'll shut up, string synths are my favourite subject..

I have all three set up side by side tonight..505,330,09 maybe I should record them heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I used to have a Jupiter 8 and a Prophet 5 at the same time. I really liked the P5, but I liked the JP8 WAYYY more.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew ➑️
I used to have a Jupiter 8 and a Prophet 5 at the same time. I really liked the P5, but I liked the JP8 WAYYY more.
And I feel the exact opposite, so as you can see it's all subjective.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathfinnie ➑️
And I feel the exact opposite, so as you can see it's all subjective.
Agree here very much
P5 over Jupiter anytime
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I want a Mini Moog.
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang ➑️
Why do you need vintage synth?
Do you have some 'nostalgia' associated with it or very special project that require older type of sounds?

In reality, specially for very creative and younger musicians it is ABSOLUTELLY not essential to cope with old crap. I have several vintage synths and I can't say that they did anything special in music creation process, but as I grow up in those times when they evolved they ressemble me to some of music pieces I liked.
VirusTI + DSI Polyevolver + Omega (or Andromeda or Sunsyn depending on budget) will cover practically all bases where synth is needed. Tweaking it, using good preamps and analogue outboards will influence sound and final result much more than choice of vintage vs. modern synth.
I think that paying more than 1500$ for any piece of old technology (out of collector's items for investment purposes) is just overpaying for the fact that something is getting rarer nowdays. It has nothing with making music.

that's not how I feel...
None of the modern synths is even nearly capable of producing any sound like the original vintage variants.
I tried them all, did shoot-outs etc.
The vintage synths are a pain in the arse to maintain. Managing your preset banks can be difficult. It sucks to replace batteries, spares are hard to find, BUT NOTHING WILL SOUND LIKE THEM. They have so much character and sit perfectly in a mix.

Most modern synths except the Dave Smith ones suck. I don't like the Voyager, Andromeda or Virus TI. They might be marginally better than softsynths but most of them are just computers/plugins in a box.

I agree that some of the vintage synths are getting too expensive. It's dealers and collectors buying up everything and selling with a huge obscene profit, when supply has dried up. I've been offered a CS80 for almost Β£25k, which is a bit of a joke! Would love to have one though...

Just another opinion...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️

Here:

A.mp3
B.mp3
C.mp3
D.mp3

Disclaimer: These are actual recordings from the units, no tricks, no hidden catch, etc. I can post more or as much as it is needed of each unit.

Good shout - its all gone quiet over there heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ive heard the flutes on "this must be the place" from talking heads was a P5. Im amazed by that actually.

Me?

I plan on getting a few of those Oberhiem SEM boxes. I want to do weird tuning and phasey chords.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wasn't the bass sound in Thriller and Jupiter 8?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thriller I believe is synclavier
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm sure I heard somewhere that there was some Jupiter 8 on Thriller. I definately think that some of the strings/pads are Jupiter-esque. Not too sure about the bass on Thriller though.

This debate is like one of those mad ones you get between guitarists, it's just like the classic "what's better, a Les Paul or Strat?" At the end of the day, some people prefer one, some people prefer the other and some people like both.

theother is totally right with his shout about the new gear. Yes it's got miles more features, it's incomparably more reliable and it doesn't cost you as much but the new stuff doesn't make the sounds I want. Oh how I've tried to like the virtual analogs and the new Moogs, I just can't warm to them. I'd rather pay the money and get what I really want and what really suits me. The latter is particularly important too as all synths (vintage or brand new) are designed with a particular logic in mind and programming ethos, you might struggle to get the best out of the synth. I'd say how you take to the programming of a synth is just as important as it's potential to make nice sounds.

And one final point... RANDOM ARPEGGIO!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator ➑️
thriller I believe is synclavier

Nah....not the Bass.

Maybe other sounds.

WT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm pretty sure i remember reading an article about thriller.The bass sound was actually two minimoogs together to get that one fat bass sound.The other keys were roland jp8 and prophet 5.
I used to have an mks80 super jupiter,ob xpander and prophet5.Jupiter was definitely briter and a bit more versatile,still love the prophet .I should of never gotten rid of those things but still kept my minimoog model d.Depends on what you like.I remember jp8 and xpander competing with guitars a little better than than the prophet.The filters maaan!

Dan P
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Here:

A.mp3
B.mp3
C.mp3
D.mp3

D

Sounds like a Roland SH-101 or MC-202 to me but, it has a touch of Yamaha CS-15 too

WT
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
They're all good but i'd put the Prophet and Oberheim a little higher. My personal opinion is that all Rolands while sounding good, lack a few extras that separate some of the American vintage synths-warmth and punchiness being two things. The JP-8 sounds good, but those others are still better, and ya i agree about the brighter sound. Now of course there are all sorts who love the Rolands, but they're not my favorite if i have to choose. Even amongst Japanese synths they wouldn't be my first choice.

An OB-8 would be good because it's not only reliable/less problematic than an Xa including the midi issue, it's also warm. Not as warm as an Xa but still plenty warm. Plus it provides the option to layer, creating greater possibilites. The Prophet's got the high quality sound coupled with poly-mod that ups the options. Between those two, you'd have to try them yourself, listen to youtube samples or just try one or the other, knowing you can always sell it later. Neither would disappoint though.
It's a myth that the OB-X is any better than an OB-8. I totally agree with the above. It doesn't give anything away sonically (despite the loud cries of a few diehards), you can MIDI it, and it's easier to maintain. It also blends really really well into mixes.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Here:

A.mp3
B.mp3
C.mp3
D.mp3

ok Im not afraid to take the challenge - even tho Im most likely wrong!

I say example 2 is the Roland. In fact I will be so bold as to suggest it is the Jupiter 8 which I believe you own....?

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg ➑️
It's a myth that the OB-X is any better than an OB-8. I totally agree with the above. It doesn't give anything away sonically (despite the loud cries of a few diehards), you can MIDI it, and it's easier to maintain. It also blends really really well into mixes.
I had both an OB-X and an OB-8 side by side and I could very easily tell the difference. I like the OB-X and not the 8. I'm not a die hard and I also wouldn't be afraid to say so if I thought the 8 was better. It does have more options and is more flexible. Also I disagree that it is easier to maintain. I know three people who have had issues with the 8 (bad voltage regulators, HORRIBLE key contacts that just can't get fixed no matter what, hard to find CEM chips, etc.) where as almost everything in the OB-X can be found at an electronics shop. You can also midi an X.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Have to say I prefer the Jup. Better ergonomics by far..

Regarding the OB wars, I'll agree with Mr. Finnie: OBX has a nicer sound, OB8 then the Xa bringing up the rear. Wouldn't kick any of them to the door.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've owned them all, and for me the JP-8 wins by a long shot.. More versatile than the other 2 synths IMO.
They all have their own unique sound - especially the P5, but the JP-8 really is the money..

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg ➑️
It's a myth that the OB-X is any better than an OB-8. I totally agree with the above.
You're comparing apples and oranges my friend. And it's ridiculous just as all those "VA vs analogs" discussions. Bottom line: Each is good for its own application. Period.

FYI, Oberheim X is a full discrete board design - Oberheim OB-8 is a chip based(!). We talk two totally different worlds, different designs, and most important, two totally DIFFERENT SOUNDING machines. I know... i own them both. Each is good for its own.
Deleted 8456dd3
Posted to the AH list mid last year:

"...I was just browsing through November's Mix Magazine and spotted the track sheet for the mix session of Thriller.
Listed are:
Moog sweep in the bridge
Pipe Organ from the Synclav
Bass synth JP-8
Rhodes
Synth Marimba JP-4
Froggie Casio
So if anyone was wondering what they used for the bass sound... or the "froggie" sound whatever that is there ya go..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm ➑️
Nah....not the Bass.

Maybe other sounds.

WT

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Some legendary Jupiter 8 sounds:

YouTube - Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme (2004) - arpeggio and the main pad

YouTube - Jan Hammer - THE HIT LIST - arpeggio, brass (rest is Fairlight and Memorymoog)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The sound of the JP8 is what I dont get on with but I dont think anyone can argue that it isn't the most versatile or a great design.

PS...Im gonna go for number 2 being the Roland in the listening test
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

FYI, Oberheim X is a full discrete board design - Oberheim OB-8 is a chip based(!). We talk two totally different worlds, different designs, and most important, two totally DIFFERENT SOUNDING machines. I know... i own them both. Each is good for its own.
Interesting thing that OBXa being same as OB8 on voice boards, still sounds different to OB8 and to many ears just much deeper.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Interesting thing that OBXa being same as OB8 on voice boards, still sounds different to OB8 and to many ears just much deeper.
Actually i've seen Xa, and it looks different on the inside than my OB-8. It also has a different gain stage, filter design, etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 ➑️
Posted to the AH list mid last year:

"...I was just browsing through November's Mix Magazine and spotted the track sheet for the mix session of Thriller.
Listed are:
Moog sweep in the bridge
Pipe Organ from the Synclav
Bass synth JP-8
Rhodes
Synth Marimba JP-4
Froggie Casio
So if anyone was wondering what they used for the bass sound... or the "froggie" sound whatever that is there ya go..."
Sweet !

WT
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The OB-8 voice boards are completely different from the OB-Xa. The 8 has 2 boards that each hold 4 voices and are stacked on top of each other.

I'm actually looking forward to doing an in-depth comparison of my OB-8 to my friend's OB-Xa soon since I've never heard them side by side in person, but I've been playing a lot of the Xa lately and what I can tell you is they are extremely similar by patch, but when you start playing with the filters and controls you start to see where it differs slightly in a good way over the 8. On the other hand my 8 seems way more tuning stable and that, to me, is better for my style of music.

The OB-X is just really cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My p5 is for sale.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➑️
My p5 is for sale.