Quantcast
Digital Distribution/mp3 store - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital Distribution/mp3 store
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Digital Distribution/mp3 store

Hey all. I am wondering if any of you have a good method of selling your music online digitally. I have a website which I would love to imbed a store which uses paypal, but don't know too much about how to go about it. I know of snocap, but have heard mixed reviews. How is CDbaby?

Any flash designers on here that can do custom components for my website?
Any recommendations for digital distribution that is fair to the artist?

Thanks for any tips.
Old 1st February 2009
csl
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
If you want to get on iTunes etc., I would choose a distributor that doesn't take a cut from sales -- the stores takes enough of that as it is (I thought digital distro was meant to cut down on the needless pie slices taken from your earnings!).

I've used EmuBands for one of my releases, but they're a UK company anyway, which would probably work out too expensive at ยฃ50 per album, even if it is one-off. How about Tunecore?

As for the DIY route, if you use something like Bandcamp you'll keep all the earnings, minus paypal fees, of the price you set. You can also put the albums on your site using the handy widgets they provide.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The options that seem most viable are tunecore, cdbaby, or snocap. Tunecore seems good for getting tracks distributed to a large variety of places (amazon, itunes, etc). CDbaby seems good for physical CD sales. Snocap seems good for having a shop on myspace.

I was wondering if anyone has experiences with any of these and can provide feedback. Also, I would love to do a custom shop on my website were I don't have to pay some 3rd party. There are flash component sites that sell custom players/stores but I don't know too much about them.

I will look into bandcamp. Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
msl
Lives for gear

You can use Kagi to make an online shop for your site. If your going to release through Tunecore, etc, they might not want it available on your site as well, not sure.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks, I will look into Kagi.
If I went with something like tunecore, I think I would just link itunes to my site. Hmmm.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…