Quantcast
Restyler thread - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Restyler thread
Old 1st February 2009

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Restyler thread

It's inevitable. Like rain, and taxes. I have to get one. Maybe two.
Your opinion, or better yet, your youtubes please?
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

My opinion is that it's too damn tall with that steep, slanted front! =(

I was seriously thinking about getting one because I wanted a crazy little analog filter for live use. Then I discovered I wouldn't be able to fit the protective lid over it on the slant-top of my live rack. That doesn't mean it's not ****in' cool. Just won't work for my specific application.

Here's an older picture of my live rack to the right of my desk so you can visualize what I'm talking about:

I was going to put the Restyler where the Mopho was but I bought a JoMoX M-Resonator instead because I knew it would fit. I really dig the M-Resonator though. It sounds more experimental than the Restyler demos I've heard so far. This is a good thing because I was wanting something closer the the Sherman Filterbank rather than something like the Allen & Heath VF-1. I get the impression the Restyler is a more tame DJ filter like the VF-1. I wanted something that will absolutely DESTROY the house PA if the management pisses me off! heh
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Whaaaaat ? is that a new mini Sherman ?! could someone explain ?

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Plaid, great minds think alike LOL
got an SBK popup case that I'll stuff these in (with one doepfer rack, my Vestax 19", the ES-1 and a midi-CV interface) and it probably has rubber feet with a screw so I can use those holes.. a minor issue

Cosmos, yes, that's the one.
here's an interview DL Morley posted before (which grabbed my attention)
Sonic State - News (Video Item) MESSE08: A Quick Sherman, The man behind the Sherman Filter Bank briefly shows us the Restyler DJ FX Station
multiband sensor (high mid low) for an envelope follower, with a gate (with a slew limiter, and delay) there's two modes, 24 dB filter and 12 dB, and on one setting (illuminated knobs above faders) the left illuminated green knob is for a filter that selects the freq of the envelope followed filter (and uses the three faders as sources), and the right illuminated blue knob is for choosing the freq of the filter itself.

quite ingenious to put this under a few faders.
what attracts me is that this is a dj filter, with envelope follower built in, in a really sturdy (moron with halfempty beerglass that wants to give you "instructions" how to mix - safe) package. Rodeq is quality stuff.

It can take balanced signals too... I have no idea about headroom.

new mixers like the Xone 22 have an aux send for each channel - finally these people are listening... Solid equipment with basic usable functions and a GOOD SOUND quality. stike

Last edited by Reptil; 1st February 2009 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: niffy stuff removed ;-)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
me like it heh
Old 30th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, anybody have some experience with this they could share?

Is it even available yet?
Old 30th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Re-bump.
Has anyone out there tried this thing??
I like this very much.. it's a more useable Sherman Filterbank. what's the price target? and rackmount would be more practical.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I emailed the guy about a rackmount kit (and some questions about the design) never got an answer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the design myself, though I can see why many people would prefer a rack. I wish there was a NYC dealer that I could see on in action because it looks like a cool piece with many performance possibilities.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is taking a while to get it released. Not sure if they even have a date (the preorder page on Bigcity means nothing to me). $825 though compared to the Filterbank....
Old 31st December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rids:
Analogue Haven has em' right now.
a n a l o g u e h a v e n
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It costs MORE than a Filterbank 2
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid ➑️
It costs MORE than a Filterbank 2
It's a stereo filter, filterbank is mono.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
yeah not cheap but still... it's good quality (all Rodec stuff is unbreakable)
it won't let you down in some hellhole club when you got to take over a set
and do something radical

I'm a bit let down by the lack of information though.. SMT design? balanced i/o? huh my G.A.S. for this piece died a bit

no one got this yet? no user reports? dealer report? strange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
yeah not cheap but still... it's good quality (all Rodec stuff is unbreakable)
it won't let you down in some hellhole club when you got to take over a set
and do something radical

I'm a bit let down by the lack of information though.. SMT design? balanced i/o? huh my G.A.S. for this piece died a bit

no one got this yet? no user reports? dealer report? strange
did some checking around...you can get one for $599.00... not to bad, i usually wait before buying new ****, 1. so all the bugs get worked out.. 2. because the price will drop.. this one is a must buy, i really liked the Sherman but could never the kind of tone i wanted out of it. this seems WAY more stable than the filterbank.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So AH finally got it. The Mbase 11 is still in the 'upcoming' releases and this Restyler was for a long time too.

599 is pretty good for this unit. This seems strongly a DJ/Remix tool whereas the Filterbank is more of a sound shaping tool. I'm thinking the Filterbank still has the upperhand.
Old 1st January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It's brilliant.
I helped herman do some videos of it and I really think it's a superb thing. Quality feel, great interfacing and a really high quality sound.
I would use it much more than the Filterbank.
Haven't got one yet, but I will.
Recommended!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfalk ➑️
did some checking around...you can get one for $599.00... not to bad, i usually wait before buying new ****, 1. so all the bugs get worked out.. 2. because the price will drop.. this one is a must buy, i really liked the Sherman but could never the kind of tone i wanted out of it. this seems WAY more stable than the filterbank.

I doubt the price will drop and it's been in prototype stage for getting on for 2 years while they ironed the bugs out, so I'd just buy one
And yes, I agree. The filterbank either works for you or doesn't. This is much more flexible and less destructive.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yes go get one Reptil, it's bliss heh

Herman has a youtube channel
YouTube - ShermanFilters's Channel

he now has one of those zoom q3 thingies so you'll see plenty of video's popping up
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, this little beauty is at the top of my list.

Does anyone know if the OS is mature on all of the units currently available for purchase?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Going on those demo vids, it reminds me a little of my Jomox T resonator. Now thats one wild little box of tricks! If a bit, "Far out"
Old 2nd January 2010 | Show parent
Deleted d2a68cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
Does anyone know if the OS is mature on all of the units currently available for purchase?
OS? I don't think there are any computerized components in the Restyler.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 ➑️
yes go get one Reptil, it's bliss heh

Herman has a youtube channel
YouTube - ShermanFilters's Channel

he now has one of those zoom q3 thingies so you'll see plenty of video's popping up
hey thanks, checked those out.
any user reports or vids of some real live action (in a set) welcome!
cheers, and a happy newyear to all
Deleted d2a68cc
I bought one off eBay from a guy not too far from me today. With hope, I'll have it next week.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by our_swimmer ➑️
I bought one off eBay from a guy not too far from me today. With hope, I'll have it next week.
waiting in anticipation to reading your opinion!!
cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by our_swimmer ➑️
OS? I don't think there are any computerized components in the Restyler.
Well, I understand it's an analog device, but I wasn't sure if there was firmware for digital control of LFOs or anything -- so there could have been a minor issue or two of unwanted glitchiness... hopefully not.

There's minimal technical information about it on the Rodec and Sherman sites, but the demos of course sound terrific.

I'm in the market for a versatile stereo analog multimode filter; it will be either the A&H VF1 or this -- $600 will be a sizable bucket of clams for me to spend this year, so I need to think this one through a bit.

(Leaning heavily towards the Restyler, though -- this thing's got some serious personality! And I love the pandora's-box-of-tricks looks, as well)
Old 9th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I somewhat impulsively snagged one of these and couldn't be more impressed with it.

Everything about it screams (or coos) quality of workmanship, and especially of design -- congratulations to Rodec and Sherman for a fantastically alive sounding and feeling instrument!

The most impressive aspect of the design is how interconnected in a meaningful way all of the controls and parameters are, giving it (sorry for the clichΓ©-speak) a lovely organic and synergistic feel and sound.

It's very versatile: don't be misled by the brash Sherman DNA in there -- this thing has a huge range of smooth and creamy response, very hi-fi.

And of course it can be overdriven for sizzle and crunch, as well.

It does present a dilemma or two:
  • It's easy to get obsessive with it because it sounds so good and is so fun to tweak
  • It's going to be hard to keep from using it on everything
Old 8th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone pick one of these up? How versatile and awesome is it anyways? I wonder if it's better for entire mix-bus filtering as all the demos are filtering entire tracks lol, or more for dj..i dunno haha.. maybe the video are just brainwashing me... I am using my filters for individual channels/instruments and also sub-busses... but since this is a dj thingy and stereo, maybe it'll be nice on the mix bus.. I guess them 3 faders are confusing me haha..

..seems like the Oto Biscuit; similar marketing targets (dj, flashy, loads of features, fancy). Which would you pick, oto or restyler?

Anyone made any tracks or music with them yet?
Old 8th July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've got both a Biscuit and a Restyler and there isn't really any overlap between them. The Restyler is a clean, surgical filter good for traditional filtering and EQ duties, the Biscuit is an extremely cool lo-fi effects box with a filter in it.
πŸ“ Reply