Quantcast
Restyler thread - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Restyler thread
Old 23rd July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does anyone know of (or care to create! ) any demo videos/audio samples of the Restyler just doing basic filtering?... All the clips I can find are of the envelopes doing this crazy choppy gating business... but in practice, I think I'd be disengaging the envelope control for 90% of the time if I had one.

I'd love to hear the timbre of the filters in each mode, just slowly sweeping through a full mix with varying degrees of resonance... to hear what the filters actually sound like!

I'm really bugged that this puppy is almost double the cost in the UK compared to the US I think it's possibly cheaper in total for me to buy a return flight to New York to get one than simply picking it up from the shop in my neighbourhood.
Old 23rd July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator ➑️
Does anyone know of (or care to create! ) any demo videos/audio samples of the Restyler just doing basic filtering?... All the clips I can find are of the envelopes doing this crazy choppy gating business... but in practice, I think I'd be disengaging the envelope control for 90% of the time if I had one.

I'd love to hear the timbre of the filters in each mode, just slowly sweeping through a full mix with varying degrees of resonance... to hear what the filters actually sound like!

I'm really bugged that this puppy is almost double the cost in the UK compared to the US I think it's possibly cheaper in total for me to buy a return flight to New York to get one than simply picking it up from the shop in my neighbourhood.
Bump
Old 24th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bump
Old 24th July 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Simonator if you really wanna hear what the restyled sounds like to yourself down to rough trade records, they have one on demo, bring an iPod/iPhone whatever & plug in & test it out, careful with resonance tho lol! They also have one of those baby MFB 522 to play with the thing sounds nice!
Old 24th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesystemite ➑️
Simonator if you really wanna hear what the restyled sounds like to yourself down to rough trade records, they have one on demo, bring an iPod/iPhone whatever & plug in & test it out, careful with resonance tho lol! They also have one of those baby MFB 522 to play with the thing sounds nice!
Thanks! Didn't even know they stocked gear at all in there. Will pop by next time I'm in the area.

Is that the Brick Lane or Westbourne Park store... or both?

Still... if anyone knows of any vids, I'd love to hear 'em.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quick note here to say - YEAH - I got one and it rocks. btw $550 no tax / shipping from Millenium worldwide - easy to deal with over the phone price was better than ebay listing.

The device: I think its a bit limited in trade for being stereo. It is silky smooth, sounds wonderful and does a lot within its somewhat narrow scope - the filtering is delicate and the envelope / lfo is fun and very responsive. I had hoped the distortion would be nicer, its a little biting rather than fuzzy. I really need a compressor to follow it because it really wants to get out of hand a moments notice - perhaps my need to not blow my speakers is partially to blame for my statement that its a little 'limited'

for the beautiful silky filtering in stereo at that price I say A+++ I would not hesitate to buy one now that I have some hands on knowledge.
Old 4th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie ➑️
I really need a compressor to follow it because it really wants to get out of hand a moments notice - perhaps my need to not blow my speakers is partially to blame for my statement that its a little 'limited'
As a suggestion... how about routing it into your DAW, then having a limiter on your output?

Whilst you are still enthusiastically playing with your new acquisition... how would you feel about making some demos of it doing regular common or garden filtering... as I said, all the vids/demos I can find have all the envelopes/gates fired up & doing crazy wild ****... I'd love to just hear the filters in action with varying amounts of resonance... ideally over an entire mix.
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does anybody konw if the Restyler is still being made? I've been browsing the web and it looks like al of a sudden lot of shops don't carry it anymore.
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It will be discontinued very soon, Herman told me that a few month ago...
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmm, maybe I should get another one...
Old 22nd November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-d-S ➑️
It will be discontinued very soon, Herman told me that a few month ago...
cheers. now I want it
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I borrowed the Restyler of a friend for a week so i wanted to give my opinion on this gem.
Im a bit picky with distorsion and filters, for reference i used a lot the Mutator (pure gold), the Filterbank (sound warmy crunchy when used correctly, can quickly sound harsh) but was not impressed at all by the analog heat. Now i have the Elysia Xfilter and Karacter (both really nice btw) and the Oto BOUM.

This thing is insane!! dual stage stereo lowpass, bandpass, and highpass filters that can independently tweaked, combined with enveloppe follower and LFO.
The 3 filters sound really good, and can be independently overdrived by raising the faders above half-way, while simultaneously reducing the range of modulation.
The input can be overdrived in a really creamy or crunchy way. Its like the right amount of ingredients, warm overdrived filters with a perfect hands on interface. It glues drums or gives the whole mix a rubbery, buzzy, crunchy, dirty vibe or can do just clean filtering duties. The modulations can transform a flat boring drumloop into a mad bouncy beat.
The bandpass sound ridiculously good, im talking SH5 bandpass goodness. I tried it on the minimoog and couldnt believe what happened
it can be tricky to find the right spot between the 3 filters, their gain, the modulation, the 2 huge frequency knobs with salve/master filter, ect but when you find the right spot the magic happen.
The lack of midi can be a minus for some, i didnt' bothered me at all. its meant to be played like a whole instrument really.

Sherman is known for the Filterbank but i think the Restyler as Herman Gillis masterpiece. It inherits the filterbank knowledge (it was made after the filvterbank V2) and the Rodec tank-like built gear.

I think it went kind of under the radar to most because it was labelled as an expensive DJ filter, but its sooo much more. Its really too bad they stopped production.
This and the fact that Rodec also stopped production since 2015 (as i read on their website: "The quality components that make up hand crafted RODEC mixers have become scarce, their sourcing unreliable and pricing erratic.") make it even more special!

I wouldnt be surprised it become a sought after gear soon or a collector item

Now i really need one, it seems impossible to find anywhere unfortunately.
Or just convince my friend to sell me his
Old 28th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
It's already a collecter's item. I sold mine because i wasn't using it enough but i regret it a bit. Got an incredible price for it though.
Old 29th July 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kAbLeHeAd ➑️
It's already a collecter's item. I sold mine because i wasn't using it enough but i regret it a bit. Got an incredible price for it though.
Out of curiosity how much did you sell yours?
Im trying to get one but i only found one over 1000dollars.
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
hmm, it was really expensive when it was new
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju ➑️
Out of curiosity how much did you sell yours?
Im trying to get one but i only found one over 1000dollars.
Bought it new for 450 when the last ones were for sale and sold it for around 650 a few years later.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Good write-up @ Madd Anju . I have two pieces of Rodec gear: the Restyler and the Scratchbox. Both are masterpieces, IMO, and they will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm on the hunt for a Restyler is anyone is considering selling please PM me.
πŸ“ Reply