Quantcast
'World / SA / Baile Funk' samples help... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
'World / SA / Baile Funk' samples help...
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
'World / SA / Baile Funk' samples help...

Im aiming to inject some very slight tribal/South American music into my house productions. However its quite specific what I want - if anyone has heard Dirtybird (the label of Claude Von Stroke) tunes or tunes from Riva Starr like 'Maria' you may get the idea:

YouTube - Maria (Dub Mix) Riva Starr (vocal chants and shouts + samples in breakdown...)

YouTube - Riva Starr - La Conga (Original Mix) Tech house (listen to the vocal snippets and breakdown..)

http://www.mbeat.de/catalog/Solo--Zo...p-p-41992.html(if you listen to these tracks they are laced with vocal shouts that Im looking for....)

Things like 'shouts' and vocal shots, rhythmic hits and maybe chants...

Thing is I dont have the faintest clue where to start looking for some of these types of samples. I used to make Hip Hop and go straight to Funk and Disco records - but with this - I just dont know much about South American (or even Latin?) music - as Im a UK dweller...

Another genre I am looking to work out where samples come from is Baile funk...as I understand alot of that is sampled...

So what Im asking is can anyone give me some leads of types of music/artists/compilations where I can start? Im not really looking for sample CDs as they always have a clean and 'produced' quality which I find a bit contrived...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old 31st January 2009

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
there must be something? South american, Cuban this sounds to me.
hunt the recordshops?
if not plan a holliday heh
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
You could try to listen to some Bonde Do Role.
Also I have seen some mixes with tracklists in Mixingbowl

There will be some Latin samples coming with new Ableton Suite 8
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
I dont really go to record shops anymore...my 1200s have been in storage for 4 years...and the high street music stores are no good....

There are barely any more independent record stores either having been priced out by Tescos (quickly becoming UK version of Wallmart..)...

So really I am looking for artist / compilation suggestions to seek out online and download I guess...
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerms โžก๏ธ
You could try to listen to some Bonde Do Role.
tutt

Only if you want some pop flavours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil
hunt the recordshops?
if not plan a holliday
These are really the only legit options. The former being the cheap but labour intensive route, the latter is cheap once you are 'in country' cos the sounds you are after can be bought by the bucket load off stalls almost everywhere.

You can go blog surfing as well, might get some ideas / inspiration;

MASALA

GHETTO BASSQUAKE

mudd up!

Most Sample CD houses cover this kinda stuff somewhere in their catalogs, but you'll spend allota money to get very few workable bits.

W/R/T record hunting its not so much record stores you want - except for those 2nd Record shops that resemble junk shops - charity shops are the one. I've found some great stuff in the past on 'National Geographic presents The Folk Sounds of South America' type records.

Edit;

Altho these days I feel CD digging is just as legitimate, there are sooooo many 'cheap' fly by night (possibly unethical) 'World Music' CDs out there. Your High Street Tescos CD shoppe will have these in spades. I would put money on the samples in 'Maria' coming from this sorta source. It all comes down to digging at the end of the day.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…