Quantcast
Harmonic Table MIDI Controllers?/SPAM: Novation ReMOTE 61 SL - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harmonic Table MIDI Controllers?/SPAM: Novation ReMOTE 61 SL
Old 31st January 2009
Harmonic Table MIDI Controllers?/SPAM: Novation ReMOTE 61 SL

How many of you have seen the C-THRU Music Axis-64 & Axis-49 or the Opal ?(beuatiful!)

The way the notes are laid out means there's no mental acrobatics involved when transposing scales, playing fifths, triads or even augmented chords. It looks so easy it's almost like "cheating"!

Ponder this simple comparison, if you will:

Standard keyboard = Standard weights and measures (having to REMEMBER how many ounces in a pint or how many quarts make a gallon etc.)

Harmonic scale keyboard = Metric system of weights and measure (No need to memorize all those silly conversions. Simply move the decimal point!)

What do you guys think about these controllers? Why aren't more people using these things? I only learned about them early last year, but they've been around for quite sometime now. You would think more prominent musicians than just Jorden Rudess would want to play one.

Yesterday at work, I was obsessively preoccupied with impure thoughts of harmonic table controllers and how useful they could be for an extremely fresh approach to composing with synths. So therefore...... SPAM! Who wants my outdated dinosaur of a MIDI controller?

Novation Remote 61 SL: About 1.5 years old. In perfect working order. Never left the house. Non-smoking home studio. Always kept a dust cover on it when not in use. Do you REALLY need to see a picture? If so, I'll do it if you're seriously interested. Ships snug and cozy in the original factory packaging.

$450 shipped! PayPal only, please. Shipping ONLY in the Continental US. Here's my ebay feedback: eBay My World - plaid_emu

I also recently sold my Mopho to riecespieces here so PM him if you want an additional reference.
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I am very interested in the axis 64 as well.
Anyone have one with reviews?
They are a bit pricey for a midi controller, but I love the geometric non-linear organization.
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
This is really cool.I am seriously thinking of getting one.heh
Old 31st January 2009

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
LOL, I need my piano controller a bit more, working with bands and pianists, and they'll pull a muscle when they see an Axis or something worse! Pianos are useful, for a LOT of things and MOST people
but I'm also moving towards that Axis.

But I'm thinking.. not open enough?

As a kid I was always drawn and mesmerised by Gamelan scales. Example here
More info on the Javanese Gamelan scales here Every bloody instrument has a different scale! Talk about complicated!
and an example of the (different) Balinese Gamelan here
I also looked at a Hangdrum, but availabillity and prices are ridiculous now. (out of range of normal musicians at least)

Anyway using alternate scales seems a straightforward and interesting way of achieving "new" sounds in a composition.
Especially on a modular. where it is not necessary to use notes per se. I'd like to go into this with some thought instead of head first dive.
I bought a number of Gamelan samples, but never got the feel right.
Also that modelling string synth inside Logic doesn't really do yet what I want it to do.
The MOTM sequencer/arpeggiator can do alternate tunings. Wendy Carlos was supposed to use those.
So can my EMU MP7. I'll fire it up do some experiments again and see where it goes. Mostly I've used Equal (western) temparement myself
(stuff I did before with other tuning wasn't worth posting IMO)

I posted this before in the Buchla thread, but maybe it is more appropriate here??
Maybe it'll spark some response which will lead to more knowledge and better controllers?

7:5:3 instead of 6:5:4
YouTube - AXIS for Bohlen-Pierce Scale (Part 3)
YouTube - AXIS for Bohlen-Pierce Scale (Part 6)

btw, love her mouse mat oh it's for the cat I see

here's that other one
H-Pi Instruments | TPX Videos
YouTube - TONAL PLEXUS - part 3

=
The regular axis is appealing to me, that H-Pi is good, for atonal,
or maybe you could route filter cutoff from the alternate notes??
I'd rather use a joystick for extra pitch..
-
Going to try the EMU MP7 and my drumKAT this week using different scales
YouTube - drumKAT Mario DeCiutiis India

Edit: Just saw some videos again, I'm fairly certain I'll get this controller. Thanks again Plaid, for posting.
Edit (: watching some gamelan orchestra (looking for GOOD recordings of Royal Bali Orchestra), I came across two good videos of the Monkey Dance.
and couldn't keep this for me. (awesome) sorry for the total OT heh
YouTube - Bali Cultural Kecak Dance
YouTube - Balinese Monkey Chant
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
fuking wicked!!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
@ Reptil:
I don't have them yet, cause I'm waiting to get the sample sets until I get Kontakt, and that's a ways down my gear list right now, but I've heard very good things about (and very good demos of) the sonic couture hang drum and gamelan sample sets.

Soniccouture

There are fairly in depth reviews of them over on analog industries.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robd โžก๏ธ
@ Reptil:
I don't have them yet, cause I'm waiting to get the sample sets until I get Kontakt, and that's a ways down my gear list right now, but I've heard very good things about (and very good demos of) the sonic couture hang drum and gamelan sample sets.

Soniccouture

There are fairly in depth reviews of them over on analog industries.
cool! thanks I'll take a look.
It's those "detuned sounding" metallic rings that I'm after, it "shimmers" and shouldn't fit, musically, but it does. Just like good techno. Only the samples in a western scale sound too bland for my taste. Nothing like what makes the original great.
I think it would be a hell of a job to find out exactly the alternate scales, and how to program that into Kontakt, if even possible, have to look into that too.
Some of the Soniccouture demos sound pretty good.
Will report back.

Edit:
In a real Gamelan orchestra, the pairs are not "detuned" but tuned to different scales.
Also the timing is emulated in this Kontakt patch, I wonder how this works out for tempo increases and decreases, which is radical in real life (you all should hear a good Gamelan orchestra IMHO) the whole thing shifts in higher gear, including the individual timing of course.
The went about emulating the scales, and timing, by grouping and panning them, so this can be played from a regular keyboard.
AND of course the Axis, which is great for this, since you could have a whole set under your fingertips.
RADICAL 21st century music machines!
Quote:
The library is composed of single and paired Kontakt versions of the Gamelan instruments (see picture above). As many of the metallophones are played as a detuned pair, for convenience we have grouped them this way, including KSP scripting to humanise the velocity and timing for a natural response. Paired instruments also feature separate volume and pan controls. Smaller percussive instruments like the Kempli are grouped together, with KSP level and pan controls for fine tuning.
good to see (and hear) the original is NOT Equal Temperament.
Quote:
Concert Pitch Update
Depending on your point of view, this update is either a saving grace or complete sacrilege. Some of you will appreciate the chance to play the gamelan instruments in western tuning, and some of you will just ignore this version and tell us we've sold out. Nonetheless, in fairness to all the different types of musicians out there, here is a Gamelan Set tuned to western equal temperament.
good call Robd Thanks!
๐Ÿ“ Reply