Quantcast
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60?
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60?

? Modulation ext...
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Juno6/60 sounds better.. allegedly..
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
They sound very different...to me at least.

106 is much mellower/warmer/deeper and 60 is more punchy/agressive. Hard to describe, you should demo both and decide which one do you prefer.

I had both and I prefer 106 because it is so great for pads and bass. Highly usable synth.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
In answer to the original question: Portamento.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So the 106 has portamento and the 60 does not?
As to what sound Forward said. .. That is what I gathered from the demos at Synthmania.
The 106 seems pulled back and wider while the 60 seems more focused and up front.
So depending on what you are looking for I think they both sound cool.
I wonder if the Chorus is the same on both units?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The 106 has a noisy chorus. Or at least that has been my experience.

Don't know about the 60
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
When I owned the 60 I thought it sounded quite mellow, soft.
This was quite a while ago and the memory plays tricks.
One of the nicest things on the 60 is the arpeggiator.
I would suggest demoing both.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On the 106 you can assign the cutt-off to the pitch bender. You can then open and close the filter that way and record your movements via MIDI using the pitch bender. The Juno 106 sound is described as rich and creamy vs a very "sawtooth" sharp edge sound of the 6/60, although the 106 is capable of such sounds as well. Both are worthy of ownership IMO. With the 106 you run the chance of getting one with a voice problem, I have never heard of such problems on the 6/60.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can you control the speed and depth of the chorus effect?
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➑️
Can you control the speed and depth of the chorus effect?
Unfortunatley not, but it does have a Chorus 1 button and a Chorus 2 button. Having a Juno 106 is a great board IMO, honestly, my Nordlead2 took over a lot of the 106's duties after adding it to my setup, especially since the ND2 is four part multi-timbral/four outs/ MIDI recordable knob movement/more polyphony, etc. My 106 sounds nice, but gets used sparingly these days.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You can assign cutoff to the bender on the 60 as well...

One thing I like about the Juno 60 that you can't do on the 106 is modulate PW via the EG.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
BTW, you can make 106 to sound more agressive. Just record it do digital medium. Most analog synths loose its depth and warmth when you sample them but juno has so much (to much?) of it that it sometimes sounds better after sampling.

One more thing that some people do not know. When junos highpass filter is set to 0, it is actually a 6dB bass boost. Set it to 1 if you want more "balanced" sound.
Deleted 8456dd3
Every slider can be recorded over midi on the Juno 106..
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterdiamond ➑️
The 106 has a noisy chorus. Or at least that has been my experience.

Don't know about the 60
+1

You can't control the chorus speed, but it does go WOOOOSSSHHHHHHHH.

And the voice chips die.. Mine can only play 5 of every 6 notes pressed. =(

I have a beaten to death Juno Alpha 1 sitting on the floor sideways next to the 106 on a stand. Guess which one's got leads running to the audio interface. =)
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 ➑️
Every slider can be recorded over midi on the Juno 106..
I've only ever been able to get midi messages from my 106. It would be amazing if the sliders transmitted\responded to midi.

Anyone know how to get this to work? I see that it does sysex but not midi CC for everything but modulation / pedal.
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➑️
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60?.
Yes Midi! The Juno 60 ain't got none, only DCB. You'll need a DCB to midi convertor.

Juno 6/60 Really nice arpeggiator

Juno 106 Portomento which is really handy

Although the architecture is almost identical the sound and timbre is very different. The Juno 60 is more rich & rugged, in a Jupiter 8 way whilst the Juno 106 is kinda thinner and more detailed. It alll depends on what gets you off. You can't go wrong with either, or like me both.

K
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it's been a long time but the way to get sliders in and out over midi has something to do with the switch position on the back. can't fo the life of me remember exactly what the magic setting is...
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int ➑️
it's been a long time but the way to get sliders in and out over midi has something to do with the switch position on the back. can't fo the life of me remember exactly what the magic setting is...
To transmit slider movements, the MIDI mode switch on the back has to be in position III.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As with many other vintage and newer synths with multiple revisions, you really have to hear both then decide whether the sound differences are major enough when compared to the greater convenience of a 106. Most revs of a synth have subtle differences that may or may not make a difference to some.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
about the dead voice problem...

clones are great! they sound just the same! If I you decide to go for a juno106, you can replace all 6 chips to be safe (I did it on mine).
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Wuts really good bout 106
-106 doesnt need a midi to dcb converter like 60
-When any of 106's 80017 is dead, u know what u gotta do next.
-For any who doesnt know, they would trash away the 106s. So somebody who know would be able to have it for very reasonable price.
- Used ones are floating around the world. So u dont need to worry bout getting another some day later after u have decided u gon sell yours.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well the Juno-106 has MIDI which sends SysEx so you can record your filter sweeps and it has more memories. Other than that... no.

The JU-60 is a great looking synth which sounds awesome. Get yourself a JU-60, I which I had one because envelope modulated PWM on a JU-60 is heaven. :D
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am the OP and after having owned both side by side for a little while I would take the 106 any day. I have to have glide for what I enjoy doing. Put short, I found the 106 to be a lot more playable although the 60 has a beefier sound.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Juno 106 was my first real synth, and I sold it in hard times after a few years, then a couple years ago bought another. I would not take a Juno 60 over it, sorry.
Old 2nd July 2013
They're both great synths.

It's subjective anyway. I have both and love them both. No point in pointing out what one doesn't have over the other.

If I had to choose one I wouldn't, that's why I own both.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Once you add OD or distortion efx and some other efx and/or put them in a mix its very,very hard to tell the difference between them imho. 60's are very high priced atm.Get a 106 and a Minataur. [Or 2-106's.LOL]
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Crazy. A Juno 60 was just bid up to and sold for $1300 on eBay. I would like one too, but not that badly.
Old 2nd July 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Crystals ➑️
Once you add OD or distortion efx and some other efx and/or put them in a mix its very,very hard to tell the difference between them imho. 60's are very high priced atm.Get a 106 and a Minataur. [Or 2-106's.LOL]
I don't think we're talking about them with effects processed. If you process a lot of syths you wouldn't be able to hear the difference or even what synth it is.

They don't always sound a like there are definitely differences. May not be the biggest difference in the world but there are definitely differences.

The Juno 106 sounds like more of a modern analog, the 60 has a more vintage tone, especially in the low end.

The bass on the 106 is tighter.

The frequency range of the 60 is broader, that also ads to the vintage tone.

There is a reason why the 60's are so expensive, the vintage sound is the reason along with the build and the arp. They are worth what they are selling for even if 900-1300 seems high.

Lack of midi on the 60 is irrelevant because one can just get a Kenton box and have it.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You should own both.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The 60 is better at everything, it is just all around the superior synth. I've had them both for years and the 106 sound does not hold a candle to the 60 imho. Add the Minerva kit and it is the best polysynth under 3 grand as far as I am concerned.

PS- this thread is old as balls!
πŸ“ Reply