Quantcast
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60? - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60?
Old 5th January 2018
|-|
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Not reading any replies, just replying to the thread title...

I own closets full of Roland Poly's, so I'll chime in here.

I'd take a Juno-60 (or Juno-6) over any JX, or Juno. You can easily get a midi to DCB converter from Kenton, or get one of the great kits that are now available for them. I've owned a Pro-2000 with DCB option for a very long time and it's worked flawlessly, keep in mind it only goes one direction, you can't SEND midi back into the Kenton Pro-2000 from a Juno-60, only receive.

Eg. Ableton>Midi Interface>Pro-2000>Juno-60
You CANNOT go Juno-60>Pro-2000, it won't work
Old 5th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➡️
More to the point, the Juno 106 was by and far the preferred synth of the two in the late 80's and well into the 90's because it had MIDI. Retrofit kits for the 6/60 were unheard of (or very expensive if you wanted to line Kenton's pockets). There was a point where MIDI control was a more coveted feature than overall sound. Of course that is now completely turned on it's head.
I think Rob is on the money with this assessment.

For about 10-15 years after its development MIDI became a deal-breaking, must-have feature on every bit of gear for many of us.

At least that's what I tell myself when I reflect somewhat mournfully on the synths I sold back in the 80s due to lack of MIDI (ARP Odyssey, Korg Delta, TR808, Jupiter 4, Fender Rhodes, etc).

Would I take that vintage collection over what I have now? - probably yes (although most of them were already pretty old and battered even when I got them in the 1980s).

That said, selling all that non-MIDI gear for a ready-to-roll, MIDI-equipped, AtariST/ESQ-1/DX-7/Akai S900 set-up gave me the multi-timbral, modern-sounding, sequence-based studio I needed to secure my first actual paid work writing commercial jingles etc, which the older gear simply wouldn't have cut at the time.

I still have a Juno-106 which gets used somewhere on almost everything I do and is by far the easiest synth to quickly get a usable sound on I've ever played; the fact that it has MIDI is a big reason I've hung onto it all these years and I simply don't stress about whether a 6/60 would give me something slightly different/better/heavier/more hip.

Anyway, I read somewhere on the internet that if you fit wooden end-cheeks onto a Juno-106 it will sound identical to a 6/60.
Attached Thumbnails
Anything  a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60?-juno-106-wood.jpg  

Last edited by James Lehmann; 5th January 2018 at 06:10 PM..
Old 5th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=|-|;13052035

I own closets full of Roland Poly's...

[/QUOTE]

permission to Slut
Old 23rd April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_forward ➡️
They sound very different...to me at least.

106 is much mellower/warmer/deeper and 60 is more punchy/agressive. Hard to describe, you should demo both and decide which one do you prefer.

I had both and I prefer 106 because it is so great for pads and bass. Highly usable synth.
/debate

This guy NAILED it

Anyone present or future want to know? Well, here it is, the end,

I too perfer the 106, but really, it's your call
Old 11th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_forward ➡️
They sound very different...to me at least.

106 is much mellower/warmer/deeper and 60 is more punchy/agressive. Hard to describe, you should demo both and decide which one do you prefer.

I had both and I prefer 106 because it is so great for pads and bass. Highly usable synth.

/debate

This guy NAILED it

It is not the end.

I am here to inform you that the Juno-6 is the greatest of all the Junos.
Old 11th November 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee ➡️
/debate

This guy NAILED it

Interesting I have both and I feel completely opposite. I find the Juno 60 to be the better of the two. Warmer more organic. I guess to each their own
Old 10th March 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just read through this. Honestly these are very similar in sound. The 106 seems more aggressive to me, but that may be because it's easier to stack the voices into unison mode, with the press of the button. Plus it does have rudimentary MIDI (early) and portamento.

The 60 sounds smoother and more organic but also very similar. I like both very much. One of the greatest features both have is the slider outlays which are almost the same, even a novice can figure out basic subtractive analog synthesis with this type of outlay. As a former student at Berklee around '85, they had 106's and Jupiter 6's as well as DX-7s in their "beginning synth lab. They are great for learning on. Plus they sound incredible.

I feel the 60 straddles a bit of the upscale-ness of the Jupiter line with the arpeggiator, although it lacks midi. I own one currently, no midi doesn't effect me much because I've never been a midi-type of guy. Plus I have the great JSQ-60 sequencer. I would hesitate to even get a MIDI kit for it because as I understand it involves using the plug that this sequencer hooks up with it.

So, they both have pros and cons.

Pros on the 106 is MIDI, more memory locations (and therefore more factory patches that are sometimes head-scratching at how they were derived).

Cons: No EG-control for PWM, no Arpeggiator, and no JSQ-60 connectivity. Plus reliability issues exist. I have owned and played faulty Juno 106's out there. So there is the cost of fixing them. The cheaper membrane keyboard has been known to be prone to failure... Boards can fail, etc.

Pros for the 60, smoother sound (could be psychological, not sure) Arpeggiator, more robust build quality/assembly, EG control for PWM on the oscillator, and with the sequencer, I'm pretty much set. The keyboard is better, in my opinion.

Cons: fewer patches in memory, no midi, no portamento (which is really cool sounding on the 106 but not a deal-breaker for me) possibly a higher price tag.

I've owned both, and like both. Owning the Juno 60 I have no jones for the 106. They're too close in sound and architecture. If I want another synth I'll look for another synth, not a very similar one which both of these are.

That's why some of the heated arguments above are puzzling to me, but I just don't feel they're THAT different. Not enough to pursue both.

I've always looked for value in synths. I would look at the numbers when deciding. I like to find a good or great deal, it's still possible. So maybe that's why I love my Juno 60 so much. But back in the day I could find a 106 for great prices, though it's been a while since that happened.

Both are awesome! If you have either or both, count your lucky stars and make some great music!
Old 10th March 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Juno 60: a little more raw, has pwm envelope, lacking portamento
Juno 106: a little softer, warmer sounding, has portamento, lacking pwm envelope, has problems with dying oscillator chips
Old 10th March 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 0ea68bb
Juno-106: epic techo bass and leds, industrial noise stabs, krautwerk phasey chorus mids

Juno-60: dreamy ethereal crystal pads, rich lushness, staccato nightbass, organic chorused smoothness
📝 Reply